Author Topic: Setting Airport Texture Resolution independently of all other scenery resolution  (Read 4421 times)

Avidean

In Prepar3D V2 it is possible to set different texture resolutions for different types of textures.
For example, in my .cfg I have:
GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=4096
CLOUD_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512
and
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

and I do indeed get those texture resolution co-existing in the sim.
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD= is the scenery texture resolution, is it not?
can I set the texture resolution of FSDT Airports independently of
the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD value.

I would like to set the Texture Resolution of CYVR etc. to 1024 or 2048
while TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=512

Is this possible?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 02:29:11 am by Avidean »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
I would like to set the Texture Resolution of CYVR etc. to 1024 or 2048  while TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=512

You can't, and it's entirely unrelated to FSDT airports. It's just that FSX has just one texture size setting for everything.

Thanks to the CYVR installer program, you could do the opposite: using the rest of the sim with higher res than the scenery, but if the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD is set to 512, no texture displayed will ever exceed this size in the sim, regardless of its original size.

Avidean

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD is set to 512, no texture displayed will ever exceed this size in the sim, regardless of its original size.

The syntax would certainly indicate that and I don't doubt you statement but I am somewhat confused.
I have found that in Prepar3D V2.5 if I set GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=4096 in the .cfg I get great shadows
compared to 2048 and far better than 1024 while TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024. So if no texture can be greater than 1024
if TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024 how is this possible? Its not placebo. The difference is as plane as the nose on my face!

Anyway I am trying to set Addon airport Texture (e.g. FSDT CYVR) to 1024 or 2048 while the surrounding textures are set to
512 and ground shadow textures are set to 4096 all in an attempt to avoid OOM's with Tubeliners. I don't think think anyone can see the
differance between 512 textures and HD textures once there a couple of hundred feet of the ground. I know I can't.

If TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 is it possible to set the Addon airport to 1024 or 2048 and the scenery in general to 512?
Would it help with VAS?

I know this is not an FSDT issue but would be interested in your thoughts :-)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
I have found that in Prepar3D V2.5 if I set GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=4096 in the .cfg I get great shadows compared to 2048 and far better than 1024 while TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024. So if no texture can be greater than 1024 if TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024 how is this possible? Its not placebo. The difference is as plane as the nose on my face!

P3D is a bit different than FSX, because you have a separate setting for Ground Shadows, but still doesn't change the fact that, everything else (except shadows) cannot be displayed higher than the value set on TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD. There's no such thing, even in P3D, as a separate setting for airports and the overall scenery.

If TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 is it possible to set the Addon airport to 1024 or 2048 and the scenery in general to 512?

No, not even in P3D. The only way you could do that, is by manually resize down all the default textures.

Would it help with VAS?

Not really, because the texture resolution affecting VAS was mainly an FSX problem, under DX9. Under DX10 and above, allocated video ram doesn't take from system RAM anymore and thus, since P3D doesn't support DX9, it's no longer an issue there.

If you want to lower VAS impact, don't waste your time acting on the texture *resolution*, especially with P3D, but act on these settings:

- Level of detail radius

- Scenery complexity

- Autogen vegetation density

- Autogen building density

- AI Traffic density. And turn off cars, boats, etc.

Avidean

Thanks for the advice :-)