Author Topic: New to GSX  (Read 10092 times)

Manchester EGCC

New to GSX
« on: May 17, 2015, 11:22:25 pm »
Hi, Im an oldie trying to return to FSX with a purpose built xp computer, leaving my windows 7 gaming machine in bedroom. i have a box room 7feet by 8feet, currently constructing part cockpit, and just had delivered a really good A320 flight school cockpit training poster, which is in printers to be stretched to fit my panels. Unfortunately i have had many problems, not least of trying to use an analogue matrox2 monitor box to stretch across two samsung 19inchers. In the end, because my ATI catalist program is not recognised by XP as being a correct program, Im unable to get the DVID output of the new graphic card, to show the image across two screens, using DVI D - VGA adapter, Nor am I able to install the INF file on the driver suite from the matrox site, so had to give that up as a bad job, so got just one 27 inch benQ Monitor being delivered this week.

Anyway, after just playing around a bit, I decided  to try FS passengers, Im  A British Airways fan, so my company and what revolves around it is purely BA. As yet, Im just trying the demo, but anyway, I use two planes at the moment. A BA 320 (project Airbus) from fs.freeware.com and a BAE 146 same livery, as I live an hours drive from Manchester Airport I see both of these planes regularly. I installed the liverpool and manchester Airport addons recently and they certainly very good.

But my flirting with this GSX I saw on Utube tutorials has me very frustrated. Im following a really good tutorial at the moment, I move the plane to Munich because this is an evaluation only, i stop the engines, I changed the start of gsx to just F12 and F11 respectfully. I also changed the assigment to open doors to "M" as suggested by tutorial, so M1 M2 M3 and so on.

However, I cant save this new assignment at all, if i exit fsx or crash, it goes back to shift E is it?     Anyway, my main problems really are getting the catering doors to open, The van appears, but the man walks straight through the closed service door with his head poking out of the top of plane, ??? the lift of the van is to high?? ??? i have tried all sorts of things to make exit3 work, but it dont, and I have beeps all the time asking me to open  exit 3... I can open baggage doors and main  doors. I  opened my aircraft configuration window from the drop down menu, the #1 fsx open main doors works fine, but #2 sometimes hangs, but exit 3, nothing on earth will open those starboard service doors, and it usually ends with fsx crashing, then I lose my "M" saved assignment. I used to be quite good with these problems way back in 2000, but Im a silver surfer now almost retired, I lack the digital knowledge now to understand whats going on, however Im still sharp on actual flights / ATC / way points and landing ok. I treated myself to a saitek unit with undercarriage lever, this works a treat, but I really dont want to pay out £25 for gsx, if third party British Airways planes are not going to usable with it obviously. I am not technically as profient as i was, so opening up complicated bits of code, to fix what seems to be a simple problem. I dont know why i get two catering trucks that duplicate each other either, wierd, if anyone has any possible answers to these catering doors, that just wont open what ever i do, on both the A320 and he BAE 146...been trying 3 nights now, really tired, and getting frustrated, when you get older you just want to play and go, seems FSX is still a long way from that, :-\ Dont want to give up on it yet, but the amount of headaches i have encountered since getting back into it 2 months ago, is getting me to a point, where I wont continue building any more of the cockpit....Thanks for any ideas. i havent tried any default fsx planes because i wont be using them, as my company is BA, I have to use third party content and fs.freeware has a great addit program, that unzips the file and installs the whole plane for you, I really dont want to have a load of folders to try and find a path for, them days are gone for me. But if anyone maybe knows of a store where British airways planes come on a dvd and install auto, but work with gsx i be open to having a look at them. thanks for reading. regards mike

Hnla

Re: New to GSX
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 01:00:04 am »
I honestly feel sorry for Virtuali who has to read all of this.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:00:39 am »
But my flirting with this GSX I saw on Utube tutorials has me very frustrated. Im following a really good tutorial at the moment, I move the plane to Munich because this is an evaluation only, i stop the engines, I changed the start of gsx to just F12 and F11 respectfully.

I can't see any reason why anyone would need to change the GSX keys to F11 and F12, especially considering they ARE (by default) reserved by FSX to control camera views. We configured to be CTRL+F12 and CTRL+Shift+F12 for a reason...

I also changed the assigment to open doors to "M" as suggested by tutorial, so M1 M2 M3 and so on.

This doesn't make any sense either, and the author of that tutorial doesn't seem to know FSX very well. The M key, by default, is used by FSX to control the Magnetos.

However, I cant save this new assignment at all, if i exit fsx or crash, it goes back to shift E is it?

Obviously because FSX wants to use the M key!

But, do you realize that this doesn't have ANYTHING to do with GSX ? You were supposed to know how to open doors BEFORE GSX, and installing it doesn't change anything.

Anyway, my main problems really are getting the catering doors to open

Again, this is a problem that doesn't have ANYTHING to do with GSX. Suppose you wanted to open the catering doors BEFORE adding GSX. Would this change anything ? If you didn't know it before, installing GSX won't change anything.

Of course, you are referring to a freeware airplane, so I cannot even tell you if those doors even EXISTS! They might just be "painted on" and not being animated, you cannot be *sure* of this. I really hope you don't expect that GSX would automagically convert static doors into working ones!

But of course, this is an assumption. On a default airplane, the catering doors are opened with SHIFT+E and then 3. On 3rd party airplane, nothing is certain.

WHICH IS WHY, GSX has an easy to use airplane configuration editor included, so you can TELL GSX, how each door is open on an any particular airplane which is not ALREADY supported. This is the updated list of internally-supported airplanes:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,5481.0.html

If the model you want to use is not included in that list, you MUST create a configuration for it for the first time you use it, otherwise it won't work with GSX.

The van appears, but the man walks straight through the closed service door with his head poking out of the top of plane, ???

That's because that door is not configured, so GSX doesn't know how you open it, so it's set to ignore it. Which is what it's supposed to be, if the door is "fake".

the lift of the van is to high?? ???

Because you haven't configured the door.

i have tried all sorts of things to make exit3 work, but it dont, and I have beeps all the time asking me to open  exit 3...

Because you haven't said to GSX how that doors will open. Assuming it CAN be opened. If it can't, you MUST tell GSX to ignore it. Again, using the included airplane configuration editor.

I can open baggage doors and main  doors. I  opened my aircraft configuration window from the drop down menu, the #1 fsx open main doors works fine

Main door always work.

but #2 sometimes hangs

This doesn't obviously have anything to do with GSX. If it worked like this before, using GSX or not won't make ANY difference. But, it's possible it's a result of the fact you changed to use the M key, so you are in conflict with FSX. Or, you simply are not getting the hang of the brief "pause" between the first key (which should be Shift+E anyway, not M) and the number.

Again, NOTHING that has anything to do with GSX. You are just asking how to open doors on a particular airplane that, for all we know, might simply have been modeled with a fake catering door. But again, you CAN tell GSX about this, by setting it to Ignore that door. Obviously, you WILL see the guy going through the airplane bulkhead, but at least GSX won't keep asking for the door, and will start the service.

but exit 3, nothing on earth will open those starboard service doors

Again: you are referring to a 3rd party freeware airplane. What makes you *sure* that door can be opened in the first place ?

and it usually ends with fsx crashing, then I lose my "M" saved assignment.

That's because you shouldn't have used M in the first place. Key conflicts might cause FSX to crash. Use the default Shift+E key.

I really dont want to pay out £25 for gsx, if third party British Airways planes are not going to usable with it obviously. I am not technically as profient as i was, so opening up complicated bits of code, to fix what seems to be a simple problem.

GSX works with ANY airplane, even those that don't exists yet. But if the airplane is not already supported internally (see the above list), you MUST create a configuration for it before being able to use it.

No "complicated bits of code", just use the supplied airplane configuration utility, that is entirely interactive and graphical. You only need to READ the manual, which clearly explains how to use it.

I dont know why i get two catering trucks that duplicate each other either

Because you haven't configured the airplane!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:53:47 pm by virtuali »

Manchester EGCC

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 02:04:13 pm »
Thank you so much for the information. Im sorry it was long and drawn out, but unfortunately a product of me being a video recorder engineer in the early eighties where all my knowledge is Analogue, born a bit to late to really understand the digital world unlike the youngsters who bought up on it.

The issue that Virtuali, adds, that " I cant see any reason why anyone would need to change the GSX keys to just one keystoke", is because I havent as yet explained that using a keyboard is extremely painful for me, as not only is my hip due for replacement ,I have agonising thumb joint wear and tear Arthritis, and crooked middle fingers, so I have to replace two or three finger commands with one, because Im not physically able to do multiple stokes.  I use Dragon speech recognition on some programs, but game manufacturers are very reluctant to install speech recognition software for commands, for people like me, I have been badgering Second life 3 years now to install it, because I operate a British Airways trading Airport in it, and fly 14 types of planes in it. The tutorial guy, states "M" is not assigned to anything, which is why he says he uses it, maybe, like me he doesnt need a "Magneto" assignment?

I had no idea some aircraft have only painted service doors, instead of working ones, especially as the tutorial Im working from. shows all the doors opening to receive services. but on loading passengers, I dont here the welcome from the stewards, as they board, or the clatter of children or anything that this guy gets on his default fsx plane tutorial. The baggage handlers do not load any baggage at all, although cargo doors are open, there is no animated person loading, and suit cases are totally missing from the carts? I notice you mention a key input (SHIFT+E and then 3), this is almost impossible for me to do with out experiencing severe pain. To end as, my fingers are already starting to complain, trying to start ctrl+f12 or ctrl f11 is not an option, I must try and assign it to one command.  I know most of you don't understand how difficult it is for me to operate a keyboard, unless I take pain killers, and thats why Im installing Saitek modules, which dont require mouse pointers which also give me problems. maybe one of you knows of a speech recognition software that I could voice commands to open doors??  Unfortunately people jump to conclusions that I am normal like everybody else, just because I can spell and teach people with learning difficulties, that doesn't mean I dont suffer A disability with  my fingers and other hand joints. it takes me a good half hour to write this, because my Dragon speech program, wont recognise spoken word onto this forum. I be back later to see if there may be some way round to getting around these these keyboard commands, so I can use one finger only. Thanks again for your suggestions. Mike

Manchester EGCC

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 02:16:39 pm »
I found this, while having a cuppa, maybe some one here, knows anything about these ways of by passing keyboard commands on this page. thanks
http://www.arthritisselfmanagement.com/health/daily-living/easier-computing/?page=all

I aso found this Utube video of FSX being controlled by sme software called e.speaking, which looks good, but will it recognise my voice commands to pen service doors or request fuelling, or start boarding within the gsx program within fsx, sorry typs very harf to maintain typing for long heers:)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 02:51:40 pm by Manchester EGCC »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 04:03:26 pm »
The issue that Virtuali, adds, that " I cant see any reason why anyone would need to change the GSX keys to just one keystoke"

This is NOT what I said so, why you quote me ? I haven't said anything about a "single keystroke", I said you should use ANY key ALREADY USED BY FSX!!! In this case, the F11/F12 are used by default to control cameras.

Which means, you CAN set to a "single keystroke", but you must also REMOVE those keys from FSX, otherwise there will be a KEY CONFLICT!

The tutorial guy, states "M" is not assigned to anything, which is why he says he uses it, maybe, like me he doesnt need a "Magneto" assignment?

The tutorial guy is wrong, because the M key is clearly assigned by FSX, and regardless if HE doesn't need it, FSX will still reserve it. Which is why, you lose assignment when you restart FSX or crash it. Crash it will surely NOT save you any key mapping in FSX.

Again, you must DE-ASSIGN the key from FSX, BEFORE you can re-assign it to GSX.

I had no idea some aircraft have only painted service doors, instead of working ones, especially as the tutorial Im working from

Well, that's nothing we can do much about it. But of course, GSX allows to ignore fake doors with the configuration editor.

but on loading passengers, I dont here the welcome from the stewards, as they board, or the clatter of children or anything that this guy gets on his default fsx plane tutorial.

Repeating that, nothing will work correctly until you PROPERLY configure the airplane, those sounds can only be heard from INSIDE the cockpit.

The baggage handlers do not load any baggage at all, although cargo doors are open, there is no animated person loading, and suit cases are totally missing from the carts?

BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T CONFIGURED THE AIRPLANE!!!!

I notice you mention a key input (SHIFT+E and then 3), this is almost impossible for me to do with out experiencing severe pain. To end as, my fingers are already starting to complain, trying to start ctrl+f12 or ctrl f11 is not an option, I must try and assign it to one command.

Do you realize this doesn't have ANYTHING to do with GSX ? We are discussing the DEFAULT way to open doors on a DEFAULT airplane!! It was exactly the same even BEFORE installing GSX.

There are some free utilities that allows you to control default doors using the mouse. Not remember how they are named, but there are several on the major freeware sites.

Manchester EGCC

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 09:39:47 pm »
Yes, thanks, I do understand I need to learn to re assign keys, but see, at the moment the keyboard is fixed above my head into the upper fake LED lit up high voltage, Fire & oxygen back up emergency  panels. This part of the cockpit, is being made for me in white faced mdf by my friend whos a carpenter. it wasnt my inention to usee the keyboard as the primary way to input commands, Can i justm ke it clear I need to configure these assigments without using a keyboard, and instead use voice commands as in the video ofthe guy using the e.speaking software. I will reset the fsx controls to default and, then hopefully find one of these software programs where i can input most commands by voive only, as I say, keybord operation, for inputting chages is not an option. 8 years ago, I was still laying concrete slabs and pile driving fence posts into the garden, Its a pity your tone doesnt reflect how depressed I am, that in only 8 years I am virtually housebound apart from my motorbilty car. What Im asking here, is help in inputting these configs without using a keyboard, so, I would  SAY "press ctrl F11".... or SAY "clear assigment for exit door 3". To open main doors, "SAY" "open exit door 1".  I also am aware the pax boarding can only be heard in flight cabin.

Its quite sad many forums ignore the problems which many, like me face using a computer you all take for granted, is having a disability a crime? My only other option would be to cancel the 27 inch Benq monitor order, and buy a touch screen 27 inch monitor and some people have put a vitual keyboard onto that, so that only one finger is needed to press the screen , but these are very expensive, £255 -£450 which is out omy pocket. however, the screen once installed behind the front flight windows will be too far away for me to touch, so I wont be any better off. because the whole cockpit is a representation of a real A320, i dont have the room really for a keyboard  except installed in the panel above, and then i only use it for chaning windows settings/ shut down/ and a few basics. I do hope you understand & take into consideration my dexterity is not good, and willl only get worse, which is why Im getting pretty fed up trying to find an alterntive to keybaord functions. Aagain many thanks for your oments , but unfortunelty they dont answer the main question, and that ish how to configure  the aircrafts door openings without using a keyboad.?? ???

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 09:48:20 am »
Aagain many thanks for your oments , but unfortunelty they dont answer the main question, and that ish how to configure  the aircrafts door openings without using a keyboad.?? ???

My comments are made only in relationship with GSX, which is the product we are supporting here.

Your questions doesn't have anything to do with GSX, you are ONLY asking how to operate FSX in a specific way that should suit you needs, which is an entirely different issue, and it doesn't really belong to this section (which is the "GSX Sharing" section, BTW, the one where users share airplane configuration they made) and probably not to this forum either.

Generally speaking, there's software that can be used to do speech recognition and create keyboard macro to send to any application. For example this one:

http://www.mymsspeech.com/

But it resulted from a 10 seconds Google search. I don't have any idea how well/bad it works or vouch for it.

Manchester EGCC

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 10:37:03 am »
I will try it, but I have sent a message first through their contact form,  as products for Windows XP  does not seem to be available. Im ging to have look at the list of aircaft you do support, and hope theres a British Airways airbus in their some where, and a store to purchase one that will, sot of plug and play with not having to go through this config process, which would make my life a lot easier, if none, then sadly I will be unable to use GsX as inteneded.But thanks again for yiur  continued support.:)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 01:28:45 pm »
one that will, sot of plug and play with not having to go through this config process, which would make my life a lot easier

We are discussing a speech recognition software that is supposed to translate any sentence into a sequence of key commands. I really hope you don't expect this to work "magically", without even requiring to configure it. How that program is supposed to *know* which key sequence it will have to send, if you don't tell ?

if none, then sadly I will be unable to use GsX as inteneded.But thanks again for yiur  continued support.:)

For the last time: your issues doesn't have ANYTHING to do with GSX. Your issue is that you don't find easy/comfortable to open the airplane doors using the default key combinations as set by FSX.

Airplane doors could be opened (or not) way before GSX even existed! And installing GSX won't change how they operate (or not).

Maybe, you are trying to say that, *BECAUSE* of GSX, you know have a REASON to open such doors ? Nobody said you HAVE to open doors, in order to use GSX. That's ONLY the default behavior for DEFAULT and internally-supported airplanes!

But you said you want to use an unsupported airplane, which means you MUST create a configuration for it, before being able to use it in GSX.

Since you are creating a configuration file for it, you can simply configure all the doors that have a difficult key combination, using the "Door without open/close checks" option in the airplane configuration utility for that door. You MUST do this for "fake" (painted only) doors anyway, but that option might be useful in your case even for doors that CAN be opened, but you find difficult to, because of the key combination.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:30:40 pm by virtuali »