Author Topic: GSX Window gone - but Menu buttons still there **SOLVED**  (Read 12850 times)

spotvector

GSX Window gone - but Menu buttons still there **SOLVED**
« on: May 16, 2015, 10:22:52 pm »
Hello everyone!

I am a little bit desperate and disappointed because I loved GSX as a product, but now as the following happened the 5th time for no reason whatsoever, it starts getting on my nerves. The following is the case:

I start P3Dv2.5, go to a flight I wanted to do the whole day, place my aircraft at the gate, shut it down and set the parking brakes. Then I press ctrl+F12 to open up GSX, but nothing happens. Checked the "Add-ons" tab in the menu bar, Couatl powered products > GSX - Settings and GSX- Customize Aircraft, as well as Key Mappings are there. All FSDT sceneries I have work fine. It's just the window that doesn't want to appear.

What I tried: Install new standalone Addon Manager (tried - no success), un- and re-installed GSX (tried - no success), again re-installed Addon Manager and reboot (tried - no success), clear all my VC++ 2005 packages and reinstall exactly as you say. Nothing helped. All SimConnects work fine. Please tell me you have an idea where the problem could be or that there is another way of opening GSX.

Its still a great product - I just want to be able to use it again.

Thanks in advance!
Florian
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:19:09 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Window gone - but Menu buttons still there
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 03:27:15 pm »
I start P3Dv2.5, go to a flight I wanted to do the whole day, place my aircraft at the gate, shut it down and set the parking brakes. Then I press ctrl+F12 to open up GSX, but nothing happens. Checked the "Add-ons" tab in the menu bar, Couatl powered products > GSX - Settings and GSX- Customize Aircraft, as well as Key Mappings are there. All FSDT sceneries I have work fine. It's just the window that doesn't want to appear.

If you have the GSX menus, it's means everything IS working.

Install new standalone Addon Manager (tried - no success), un- and re-installed GSX (tried - no success), again re-installed Addon Manager and reboot (tried - no success), clear all my VC++ 2005 packages and reinstall exactly as you say. Nothing helped. All SimConnects work fine. Please tell me you have an idea where the problem could be or that there is another way of opening GSX.

NONE of these would be needed because, the only reason to undertake such steps would be if the programs would not *start*. "Not starting", means you won't see their menus. Since you have the GSX menus, it means that GSX is running correctly, so none of these was ever needed.

The only possible reason why you don't see the GSX menu when you press the hotkey, is that you have ANOTHER addon in conflict which is using the same hotkey so, you must either change it in GSX, using the "Key Mapping" menu, or change it in the other addon.

Be careful not to cause an internal key-conflict by yourself, for example by assigning both GSX keys to the same key combination.

Another possible source of confusion, is that you cannot call GSX on a parking for a reason, for example the airplane being too big for it. Usually, GSX would warn you with an error message and a sound.  But if you put the "Message Verbosity" slider in the GSX Settings all the way to the left, because you didn't like the messages, you wouldn't see such warning.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:29:06 pm by virtuali »

spotvector

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 03:36:37 pm »
The point is, the menu is incomplete. It should beo

Addon Manager < blabla
Couatl... < 3 options + 1. GSX Settings 2. GSX- Customize Aircraft 3. GSX - Customize parking position

The Option 3 in the Couatl menu is missing

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 03:41:33 pm »
The Option 3 in the Couatl menu is missing

If ONLY the "GSX - Customize parking position" menu entry is missing, it means one of these:

- You are not on ground. You can't customize anything if GSX doesn't know which airport you are on. And GSX doesn't do anything if you are not on an airport, and on ground.

- Your airport hasn't been recognized for some reason, like wrong/ilegal AFCAD, etc. This should be visible from the Couatl.LOG file, which can be enabled in the "Troubleshooting" section of the "GSX - Settings" page.

spotvector

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 03:43:30 pm »
I have this on every airport, though. Standby, will try to get a log on here. I recognize this happened when I clean-installed P3D and thereafter GSX, it worked fine. But then I installed KIAH and the error was there.

Maybe an error in the Simconnect library? is it better to last-install GSX with its Simconnect engine?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 03:48:28 pm »
Maybe an error in the Simconnect library? is it better to last-install GSX with its Simconnect engine?

As I've said already, don't lose your time trying to chase system problems, libraries problems, etc. If you had one of these, NOTHING would load, no menus AT ALL.

spotvector

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 04:06:18 pm »
Here's the logfile:

jgoggi

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 02:00:37 pm »
Umberto, I downloaded the new coautl beta and the same things happens to me, I have the GSX menus but nothing happens when I press CTRL+F12. The parking areas are absolutely free, I tried using 2 different airplanes that should fit perfectly those parkings and I tried to replace the CTRL+F12 hotkey with other combinations. Unfortunately no luck, I can't get the GSX window to appear. I had to reinstall the latest GSX in order to get it back working. I use FSX-MS.
Thanks.
James
James Goggi

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 06:59:46 pm »
Here's the logfile:

This is surely the problem:

Airport cache not valid: got error CreateFile failed: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (system:32), accessing C:/ProgramData/Virtuali/Couatl/prepar3dv2/files.bin

Airport cache regeneration completed with FAILURE in 48 seconds

Since the airport cache is not valid, no airports are available in GSX. Since that file is a GSX-specific file, I don't think another software is really trying to access it at the same time as GSX.

So, it LOOKS like an antivirus issue, as if the antivirus was trying to scan that folder, while GSX was creating the cache. Try this:

- Configure the antivirus to NOT scan into the C:/ProgramData/Virtuali folder (and subfolders )

- Restart Windows

- Remove this folder:

C:/ProgramData/Virtuali/Couatl/prepar3dv2/

- Start the sim.

spotvector

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 04:05:02 pm »
Hey guys!

Seems the problem is solved. I tried your Antivirus procedure before and have all Flightsim-related folders ecluded (since Aerosoft's D'dorf even Smiley )

I finally found the issue after looking through a few generated logfiles: I have an external program (SceneryConfigEditor v1.1.3) which I use to edit some scenery layers etc. Turns out that this program creates something P3D calls "unsequential alignment of Scenery Layers" - and declining GSX to read out the file properly. I will do all my edits inside the sim now, and the problem didn't appear after a test (re-installation of 5 sceneries).

Sorry for being a bit electrified (and stupid Smiley ) and thumbs up for your support!

Cheers and blue skies!
Florian
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:18:49 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 04:18:57 pm »
I finally found the issue after looking through a few generated logfiles: I have an external program (SceneryConfigEditor v1.1.3) which I use to edit some scenery layers etc. Turns out that this program creates something P3D calls "unsequential alignment of Scenery Layers" - and declining GSX to read out the file properly. I will do all my edits inside the sim now, and the problem didn't appear after a test (re-installation of 5 sceneries).

Thank you, this is good to know. That program, apparently, is getting write access to the scenery.cfg, and doesn't release it. It's best if you close it before launching the sim.

jgoggi

Re: GSX Window gone - but Menu buttons still there **SOLVED**
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 10:24:01 am »
Umberto, sorry but in my case I have NO antivirus installed (and I have FSX MS). With the coautl beta I can't get any GSX window to open. No problems with the previous versions of coautl.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:25:34 am by jgoggi »
James Goggi

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 10:35:47 am »
Umberto, sorry but in my case I have NO antivirus installed (and I have FSX MS). With the coautl beta I can't get any GSX window to open. No problems with the previous versions of coautl.

The usual question: do you have BOTH the "Addon Manager" AND the "Couatl powered products" under the FSX "Addons" menu ?

DaveGi

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 07:15:35 pm »
Hi Umberto,

I need your help also with this issue, FSX (boxed) was working fine, installs no problem, FSX menus available, I have addon manager and couatl, menus work fine, although I noticed that GSX in addon manager only states 'active' where all my other FSDT airports state active & installed. Not sure how to deal with this I have uninstalled and re-installed several times with no problems and used the new beta addon manager as suggested. Just dont get GSX menus when using contrl F12 (incidently, not used by any other addons etc). I am stumped with this, maybe I am missing something really obvious??

Thanks DaveGi

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 10:19:23 am »
I have addon manager and couatl, menus work fine, although I noticed that GSX in addon manager only states 'active' where all my other FSDT airports state active & installed.

"Installed" in the Addon Manager means "Installed in the Scenery Library". GSX is not a scenery, so it's not supposed to be installed in the Scenery Library so, there's nothing wrong.

Just dont get GSX menus when using contrl F12 (incidently, not used by any other addons etc). I am stumped with this, maybe I am missing something really obvious??

There was an identical thread here, just above yours, and the issue was, of course, the GSX keys used by another addon, so the user simply had to use different key combinations for GSX:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11981.0.html