Author Topic: GSX window position in P3D  (Read 4482 times)

pilotphilip

GSX window position in P3D
« on: May 10, 2015, 05:28:27 pm »
Hi,

I undocked the GSX menu and positioned it on another monitor which was working fine.

But now the window doesnt appear! I can press my GSX key (for me its Spacebar) and then press 1 to deboard and it works just fine.

How can I reset the position of the window? I'm guessing its somewhere off screen?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX window position in P3D
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 11:40:33 am »
GSX doesn't have any awareness of the menu windows, which is an FSX menu created and handled entirely by FSX, including its position and its docked/undocked status, just like any other FSX window/menu.

You should be able cycle between all open windows using CTRL+TAB or ALT+TAB, this is standard Windows behaviour, it's not something related to GSX specifically.

pilotphilip

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 12:49:18 am »
Hi, I've still not managed to fix this. It doesn't appear as another window in Windows so I can't ALT TAB to find it. GSX is working though, I just can't see the menu.

Do you know where P3D stores the position? I might be able to reset a config file somewhere.

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 02:38:53 pm »
Do you know where P3D stores the position? I might be able to reset a config file somewhere.

In the Prepar3D.CFG file, most likely. Or, in the default saved flight.

pilotphilip

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 12:37:12 pm »
Hi, I've been trying and trying to fix this but to no avail. It's really frustrating! I  miss GSX!

If you have any other ideas about how to help I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks

Phil

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 09:10:16 pm »
I don't understand why you can't simply go to the monitor you placed the window, move it back to where it was, and re-dock it.

Again, this is totally and entirely outside our control. And it doesn't have anything to do with GSX too: ANY other addon that would create a standard menu via Simconnect calls would behave just the same. We don't have any means to set, check, or reset the window position or its docked/undocked status.

pilotphilip

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 03:51:36 pm »
The monitor is still connected. I didn't change anything, one day it was working and the next it wasn't.

I appreciate that this is outside of your control and I wasn't demanding a fix for it or saying it is your fault. I was just after help and advice in solving the problem as I miss using GSX.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 10:30:26 am »
The monitor is still connected. I didn't change anything, one day it was working and the next it wasn't.

Then I'll repeat my question again. I don't understand why you can't simply go to the monitor you placed the window, move it back to where it was, and re-dock it. If the window has been created, it must be either on one monitor, or the other.

Maybe you are just ASSUMING the window is "gone because you undocked it", but maybe this is not what's really happening, and GSX is not even creating the window, because of an entirely different problem with it, that by pure chance happened after you undocked the window, so you think it has something to do with it, when instead it's simply a problem of GSX not creating the window.

BTW, I think you shouldn't use the Spacebar to call GSX, because it's a key reserved by FSX for the camera view. If you can't use the default CTRL+F12 keys, try to use something specific that FSX will never use, like TAB+F12.