Author Topic: Thoughts on self-support  (Read 4867 times)

hazahl

Thoughts on self-support
« on: May 06, 2015, 08:29:46 pm »
To whom it may concern

I have alltogether bought 3 airports from FSDreamteam, and been happy with them so far.  The most demanding installation was the Geneva airport, but I have read all threads, made notes and so on and saved them together with a backup of the installation files on my Drobo box.  I'm writing this to encourage you to not loose patience when things not allways follow a straight line.  It has taken me most of the day to get Geneva going, but I have also learned a few things.  Have to just copy those registrykeys too, but that's for tomorrow.  There's plenty of information allready out there in the forums, but I was sceptical when I was informed that "the checksums" of the demofile for Geneva wasn't correct, that doesn't happen often, but it worked when I installed as an admin. 

See you in the skies
H.Z

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Thoughts on self-support
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 08:37:43 pm »
There's no difference whatsoever between Geneva and any of the other installers. They are *exactly* the same code, just they install a different scenery so, there's no reason why one would be more "difficult" than the others.

There's no reason to backup the installer, because by the time you might need it again, it might have be outdated and, since it's always freely available for download here, we are happily offer you our bandwidth to save you from the burden of having to backup the installer. The only thing that you need to store safely (although there IS a backup procedure for that, of course), it's your Serial Number.

Of course, if you say the checksum for the installer was "invalid", since the file we have online is obviously correct (and there's a way to verify this too, by checking the digital signature), it looks like all your issues were caused by a faulty antivirus, which corrupted the installer trying to "heal" it, because it mistakenly detected it as a threat.

So yes, I agree that in presence of a defective antivirus that catched a false positive, the installation with a corrupted installer might be basically impossible, but that doesn't mean that Geneva has any specific issues, it's just that for some reason that installer went corrupted.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
Re: Thoughts on self-support
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 10:46:21 pm »
 All of the FSDT products have been silly easy to install, there's really nothing to it.