Author Topic: Couatl manager disappears from add-ons menu after 10 seconds **SOLVED**  (Read 20164 times)

earnorbust

Hi Support

What is going on with the couatl engine?
Every time I load FSX the couatl facilities (activated) from the vicinity show up and then disappear after 10 seconds incl. the Couatl Manager from the add-ons menu.

I don't understand the reason.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 02:13:28 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl manager disappears from add-ons menu after 10 seconds
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:44:14 pm »
With "Couatl facilities from the vicinity", do you mean the facilities of the XPOI program ?

earnorbust

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 03:00:11 pm »
YES...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 03:24:31 pm »
Try to enable logging in the troubleshooting section of the "GSX - Settings" page, and see ( after an FSX restart, a following the disappearance of the Couatl menu ) if there are any problems reported in the Couatl.ERF and/or Couatl.LOG files under %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX

Also, check you have the XPOI objects installed correctly. If you are not sure, reinstall XPOI, using the latest installer.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 03:30:49 pm »
Do you also have a Couatl.ERR file ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 03:35:55 pm »
You already reported the same problem a month ago, and you said it was fixed:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11693.0.html

earnorbust

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 04:22:00 pm »
Yeah...but it happened again.

For no logical reason the Couatl engine shuts down. I think the VC++ 2013 runtime gets corrupted every once and a while.

After running the latest addonmanager, VC++ 2013 was again automatically installed, and the Couatl engine showed up again and stayed in the add-ons menu, but I couldn't activate anything!

I had the Feeling, that VC++ 2013 wasn't running correct and restarted Windows. Now everything works again!

...If I only knew why  :-[

earnorbust

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 05:00:00 pm »
GRHHH....Couatl is gone again!

...and I can't produce a couatl.err (even though the GSX -Trouble Shooting is active)

What is causing this?  >:(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 05:29:01 pm by earnorbust »

earnorbust

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 06:33:15 pm »
I have spent all afternoon turning security off and running the Setup_addonmanager again and again. I had Couatl working once - then it disappeared again; and now I just can't get Couatl to appear again in the add-ons menu. And of course I can't use XPOI and GSX without the engine!

This is beginning to become very upsetting. I have so many products in use that cause absolutely no problems since they were installed. Why are Couatl and XPOI so instable and go haywire every once in a while for no understandable reason? I did nothing to cause XPOI or Couatl to go corrupt. I used the XPOI program two days ago and left the XPOI facilities on when I turned FSX off. The next time I started FSX the XPOI facilities and the Couatl Manager were visible for 10 seconds and then suddenly the facility markers disappeared and the Couatl manager vanished in the add-ons menu. That is really weird! What could turn off XPOI and clobber your Couatl Manager after they both worked correctly for 10 seconds?

I enjoy your products and I am a good paying customer, and I would like to get my programs running again. I hope you people get this solved. Somehow I feel that XPOI is causing this trouble.

What do you advise me to do? Should I re-install Couatl, XPOI and GSX?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 06:36:45 pm »
What do you advise me to do? Should I re-install Couatl, XPOI and GSX?

Try XPOI, GSX and the latest Stand-Alone Addon Manager.

earnorbust

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 06:55:36 pm »
XPOI is the culprit!

I unstalled XPOI and ran the addonmanager. Now the Couatl Manager is back again (with GSX) and stays intact!

I will not use XPOI again until you guys figure out what's wrong with it.

regards
Robert

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 09:56:31 pm »
XPOI is the culprit!

No, it's not.

I unstalled XPOI and ran the addonmanager. Now the Couatl Manager is back again (with GSX) and stays intact!

That's not what I said to do. I said to try installing XPOI, GSX and the Addon Manager at the last thing. Have you tried doing that ?

I will not use XPOI again until you guys figure out what's wrong with it.

Before answering to you, I loaded FSX, went to the same airport indicated in your log ( you edited your message, so there's no Couatl.LOG anymore, but I assure you I tried the same airport) with XPOI enabled, and had all the points visible, stayed for 5 minutes on the runway, and nothing happened, everything was working.

But to reproduce it in the same condition, you should also send your XPOI.INI file, to see exactly which icons you had enabled.

But, we ALREADY HAD the same discussion last month, you already sent your XPOI.INI file, I said it worked here, you first said the Couatl menu disappeared entirely (not after 10 or 20 seconds), then you said that by installing the Stand-Alone Addon Manager last, the issue was fixed.

So, do you want to try again the whole procedure ?

earnorbust

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 08:06:54 am »
Dear Umberto

You are taking this too personal. I don't blaim you for creating a wonderful software product that malfunctions once and awhile. I know that Software can cause problems, because you cannot test all possible Hardware and Software influences of customer environments. I am trying to be helpful so that this problem does not reoccur.  All I know is, that the products were working, and then they stopped working with no (for me) understandable cause. The only Thing I remember was, that I shutdown FSX with the XPOI facilities left on both times (which I normally don't do). At the next FSX start, the error occured as explained. And again, if I would search for the solution, it would seem plausible to investigate why the XPOI and Couatl products run correctly for 10 seconds - and then suddenly vanish. That is weird. How could that happen? What circumstance could cause this strange outcome? Usually products don't work at all when something is wrong. But a product working first and then suddenly vanishing on its own is strange, don't you agree? Surely this observation is an important lead to investigate the scource of the problem. And I still feel that XPOI is the cause, because I seldom use it, and GSX and Couatl have always worked fine together, never causing any problems.

Of course I will follow your advice and reinstall all the products as you advise.
But that doesn't stop this problem from happening again, as we now both know.

best regards
Robert

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 12:51:23 pm »
The only Thing I remember was, that I shutdown FSX with the XPOI facilities left on both times (which I normally don't do). At the next FSX start, the error occured as explained.

I also tested this specific case, no problems.

Of course I will follow your advice and reinstall all the products as you advise.

This was the only thing you had to do, after you confirm you did that, exactly as I've asked, then we can proceed with further troubleshooting.

But that doesn't stop this problem from happening again, as we now both know.

No. If it happened, if would happen to everybody, not just you...

earnorbust

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 08:50:34 pm »
Dear Umberto

Like the last time, I reinstalled everything in the exact order you advised and XPOI, GSX and Couatl are working again.
Now - how do we find out why this has happened twice and how to stop it from occuring again?

Robert  ???