Author Topic: YVR for P3D  (Read 3563 times)

windshear

YVR for P3D
« on: March 23, 2015, 10:11:16 am »
Dear Fsdreamteam

Could we get a P3D version of Vancouver without this built in shadow effect? It doesn't look right, plus its a waste of VAS, I hit 2.5 gb before even taking off...

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: YVR for P3D
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 10:21:49 am »
The additional polygons that are used to create the shadow effects are NOT used just for the shadow effects ( it *would* be a waste of VAS in THAT case ), but also to add additional detail on top of the basic textures.

The scenery has been designed from the ground up to be like that, and both the base textures and the detail textures are supposed to work together, regardless if there are shadows or not so, even if we could change the bad visual effect, which is a P3D problem that we reported long ago to LM but it hasn't been fixed ( FSX is perfect ), it wouldn't result in ANY VAS savings.

You could get an idea how the scenery would look like with no dynamic shadows, if you set Overcast conditions. That would load a version of textures without directional shadows.

windshear

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 10:56:15 am »
Ok thank you, I just was afraid that this was the reason for the high VAS.

I chose lowest shadow size and 1024 sized textures, and still only around 500mb away from OOM
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 11:09:05 am »
I chose lowest shadow size and 1024 sized textures, and still only around 500mb away from OOM

That's not of course a problem caused by CYVR, which doesn't take so much more memory than any other scenery, your high memory consumption is caused by the COMBINATION of everything you have installed, with the main offender being a memory hungry airplane, and then the rest of the scenery you have in the area, the AI, etc.

This has been discussed so many times on the forum: CYVR is not particularly heavy on VAS, not much more than KLAX, but it stays in an area that is already very heavy on memory usage, even by default, and there are several 3rd party add-on products available AND the most memory hungry products out there, are finally available for P3D...

Have you checked the DIFFERENCE in free memory, if you use a default airplane instead, with everything else being the same ? That will give you a clear indication about what's really stealing your VAS.