Author Topic: KORD green taxi lights  (Read 12573 times)

plowry

KORD green taxi lights
« on: October 16, 2008, 03:21:29 am »
I have run KORD for FSX on an XP system for some time with no problems.  I have now upgraded to Vista 32 bit and on reinstalling this airport I find the green taxiway lights appear as black or white rectangular blobs (at dusk or night only).  Everything else seems to be as it should be.  I have tried reinstalling several times to no avail and wonder if someone might be able to help me get the lights turned on.

Peter Lowry

JamesChams

Re: KORD green taxi lights
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 04:53:45 am »
Mr. Peter Lowry,

Regarding the LIGHTS:

Sounds like a problem/corruption with the "HALO.bmp" file; Some addon aircraft, like the CLS F-117, or sceneries, use this file to enhance their aircraft/airport lighting, and their makers modify/replace this file so when FS goes to use it for default lighting, you get problems.
This file is found in this location: ...\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Texture\

You may want to restore your original "Halo.bmp" FSX file.  Also, check to see if this happens in FSX DX10 Preview mode as well as the FSX DX9 one?  If it does in the 1st and not the second DX modes then it has obviously been changed by some addon.

Good Luck!  :D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 04:57:43 am by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

plowry

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 01:43:25 am »
Thanks very much.  The only addon aircraft I have installed is the Flight One Pilatus PC-12. I am afraid preview modes are beyond me at present. Can you tell me if it is possible to restore the original file without actually uninstalling and reinstalling FSX?  I am unable to find it on the discs using Explore.

Peter. 

JamesChams

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:12:44 am »
Mr. Peter Lowry,

If you can't find it, then its been deleted/corrupted.  You'll have to use the original FSX file; It would be hard for you to retrieve it from FSX DVD without a reinstallation; So, I'll just give you a copy of that original file.

Attached is the "HALO.BMP" in a Zip file which you should extract/copy and paste in the location: "...\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Texture\"

Good Luck!  :D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 05:19:42 am by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

JamesChams

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 05:21:44 am »
Updated; Enjoy!  :D
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

plowry

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 08:57:16 pm »
Thanks James.  I overwrote the existing file with the Halo file you sent, but there is no change.  My vedio card is an 8800 GTS running now with Vista 32 bit instead of XP.  The drivers are the latest releases (for the card two days ago).  The lights showed with XP so I am now concerned the problem may be with Vista and my card. I am wondering if others have reported similar problems.

Peter.   

JamesChams

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 09:22:21 pm »
Mr. Peter Lowry,

Yes, with all the Nvidia GeForce 17x.xx drivers (32/64-bit) there are issues, currently.  I myself am struggling with KJFK because of it.  They just came out with another driver for Nvidia; Check and see if your is truely the latest.

GeForce Release 178 WHQL
Version: 178.24
Release Date: October 15, 2008
Operating System: Windows Vista 32-bit
Language: U.S. English
File Size: 85 MB

Also, try this "HALO.Bmp" instead; let me know if this one works better.  This is the one I'm use now and don't have any issues with it.  This is a different file than the one I gave you before.

Good Luck!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:35:36 pm by JamesChams »
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

plowry

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 01:26:06 am »
No luck here with that file either James. I installed that Nvidia card driver two days ago.  There do seem to be some problems.  I find that a very good freeware airport (CYYJ) that was perfect with XP suffers a complete loss of texture on some of the terminal buildings.  The author suggests that with the Vista/8800GTS driver some bldg .. dds files are not being recognized.  I thought if I waited until now we would be out of the woods with Vista, but maybe not.

Peter. 

JamesChams

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 07:38:36 am »
No luck here with that file either James. I installed that Nvidia card driver two days ago.  There do seem to be some problems.  I find that a very good freeware airport (CYYJ) that was perfect with XP suffers a complete loss of texture on some of the terminal buildings.  The author suggests that with the Vista/8800GTS driver some bldg .. dds files are not being recognized.  I thought if I waited until now we would be out of the woods with Vista, but maybe not.

Peter. 

Mr. Peter Lowry,

Would you post a screenshot of this?  I want to see exactly what you are seeing; so I can better help you.
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

plowry

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 07:20:16 pm »
Sure.  Here are two shots at dusk at R32L.  At night the blobs appear black. 

Peter.

plowry

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 07:23:35 pm »
These will be better.

JamesChams

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 08:02:32 pm »
Mr. Peter Lowry,

1. Reset all you FS Display settings to Default and exit FSX.
2. RESTART FSX and take another set of screenshots and post them, please; if, they are still corrupted.

Good Luck!
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

plowry

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 10:23:06 pm »
James, I am afraid that makes no difference.  I do appreciate your continuing interest and hope there is something to be learned in this.

Peter.

JamesChams

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »
Mr. Peter Lowry,

Are you using "DirectX 10 Preview Mode" ?

PS:

Ciao Kappa,

Could you suggest something?

Grazie!
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

plowry

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 10:32:57 pm »
Yes.  I have it checked.