Author Topic: Prepar3d 2.5 latest hotfix + migration tool = crash "Legacy Mode"  (Read 6017 times)

Hellzone

Hi, im having some problems with GSX. Not sure if this issue has been resolved or not, sorry if ive overlooked a topic with the specific answer i need, search don't always work.
I install GSX into Prepar3d 2.5 add the hotfix. Fresh copy.
Now if i run Prepar3d.exe i can get GSX to load and i assume i will be able to activate it.
It works 100% properly to my knowledge.. haven't even tried activating because i want to resolve this issue first.
 I have migration tool which many of you know runs a copy of Prepar3d.exe renamed and edited to have copyright and version information/ect from the "boxed" fsx for compatibility.
If i try to run Fsx.exe with GSX installed, the moment i try loading scenery/ect "loading bar" after Scenario Screen the game will crash!! with "Fatal Error" being the cause.
Ive read this might have something to do with add-on manager?

If someone could help that would be appreciated :)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Prepar3d 2.5 latest hotfix + migration tool = crash "Legacy Mode"
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 09:42:52 am »
This has been discussed many times on the forum:

You cannot use Legacy mode with any of our products, or any other products that supports and recognize P3D natively, because what the Legacy Mode does, is to conceal P3D to appear being FSX, so our module cannot recognize it as P3D, and this will surely cause a crash, since the software has to go directly in the sim internal memory locations to find data it cannot obtain in any other ways.

Hellzone

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 08:43:08 pm »
That's all dll injection basically right ?  You cant even rename the Prepar3d.exe... which seems ridiculous. Rename just one digit or letter and crash!
Why would the name change how the code works ? Imho the program just simply dont look for fsx.exe or a renamed exe.
Im going to pull out a hex editor if i have to.... sad to see there's no support for this.  >:(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 09:26:42 pm »
That's all dll injection basically right ?

No.

You cant even rename the Prepar3d.exe... which seems ridiculous. Rename just one digit or letter and crash!
Why would the name change how the code works ? Imho the program just simply dont look for fsx.exe or a renamed exe.
Im going to pull out a hex editor if i have to.... (

The name doesn't have anything to do with it, we don't really care how the file is named, we check the file version number, which is PRECISELY what Legacy mode changes, to have what is in fact is Prepar3d.exe, to LOOK like Fsx.exe instead.

Unfortunately, it's NOT FSX, that's why the Legacy mode will crash ANY product that will need to differentiate precisely between FSX and P3D. Don't waste your time trying to act on the file, because no amount of fiddling would transform what is really a Prepar3d executable to really work (internally) as FSX, because it's not FSX.

sad to see there's no support for this. 

We support P3D natively, and that's the only right thing to do. You should instead voice your concern with the developers of the product you wanted to install which required such hacks, instead, and ask for a proper P3D installer.

Hellzone

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 11:58:45 pm »
 we check the file version number, which is PRECISELY what Legacy mode changes, to have what is in fact is Prepar3d.exe, to LOOK like Fsx.exe instead.

Since then ive actually gotten somewhere.  Thanks for giving me the answer in fixing it lol ::)
Little edit :0

http://s3.postimg.org/yxr4cpgtf/Looks.png

http://gyazo.com/b196c4755bbf20fa5653bd27ae5cb5e0

http://gyazo.com/c144cdd21a7fc0364104835b0c7f229d
Navigraph loads properly :) Loads quick   :D
vs
http://gyazo.com/8b3c09cff9abf76fe268c912e10d06fc
Slow load causes misaligned runways, ils is always inop when this happens. Only fixable by using a exe file version 10
As you can see in ResourceTuner there's 2 spots for version information. One left and right,
Using mixed number seems to work, stable ??? .. i guess i will see.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:18:45 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 09:30:21 am »
Using mixed number seems to work, stable ??? .. i guess i will see.

Interesting trick. Yes, the file version information has two section, and text section and a data section. Our software use the data section, because it's more reliable to read data in binary form compared to parsing a text and finding numbers.

Our software reads only the Release number ( 61637 for FSX+X-Pack, 12944 for the latest P3D hotfix ) from the File Version field, if another 3rd party application recognizes FSX by the Major and expects to be 10 in order to recognize it as being FSX, it won't affect our software.

When INSTALLING, though, you must turn off the Migration Tool and Legacy Mode entirely, because the installers will also check for the file name of the executable as pointed in the registry.

Hellzone

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 08:23:14 am »
Never had to Disable mine.
I contacted MigationTool Developers with a request for dev update.
Everything is stable from what i can tell. ;D