General Category > General Discussion

can I uncheck fsdt airports in fsx scenery library ?

(1/1)

leftseat:
...since I have quite a collection of high density airports now, I am forced to be selective to how many I have active in FSX. Can I turn on/off fsdt/flightbeam airport or will it get messed up ?
Greg

virtuali:
Nothing will be messed up, but you won't gain anything by doing it. This has been discussed several times on the forum, for example here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,9848.msg77524.html#msg77524

Turning on/off FSDT or Flightbeam sceneries when flying it's a total waste of effort, because we ALREADY do memory-management for them independently from FSX, since 90% of the scenery is not made using .BGLs files, but with 3d object we create and destroy on demand. When you are flying outside of the area of an FSDT scenery, none of your VAS is taken, even if you enter it and the exit from it, all of it is reclaimed.

leftseat:
Ok, so its the other sceneries that I need to turn off then ? I somehow need to keep below 4GB
Greg

virtuali:

--- Quote from: leftseat on February 27, 2015, 09:51:54 pm ---Ok, so its the other sceneries that I need to turn off then ?
--- End quote ---

Everything else not made by FSDT or Flightbeam.

--- Quote ---I somehow need to keep below 4GB
--- End quote ---

You won't save so much by turning off sceneries. If you need to revert to this to be under 4GB, your situation is WAY over what is considered an healthy setup. The things that improve VAS usage the most are:

- Use DX10

- Lower your graphic settings in FSX, especially the "Level of Detail", "Scenery Complexity" and "Autogen Density"

- Don't use HD texture. This won't make a big difference if you use DX10, but if you are stuck with DX9 for some reason, it will be quite effective.

- Consider switching to FSX Steam Edition, which improves VAS usage quite a bit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version