Author Topic: GSX SDK  (Read 8299 times)

BenBaron

GSX SDK
« on: February 26, 2015, 08:58:56 am »
Hi guys,

it's my first post here, so please bear with me if this is the wrong place to ask:

For an application of mine I'd like to get a glimpse of the status GSX is in, so when it has finished boarding, for example. Is there any SDK out there, I could use? I looked around but did not find any consistent information on the issue.

Thanks in advance.

All the best, Benny

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX SDK
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 03:55:55 pm »
We don't have a formal SDK published, but yes, there are some features already enabled that we added following suggestions from some developers. If you contact me in private or by email, I can give you more informations about this.

BenBaron

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 12:41:04 am »
Thanks for your reply, Umberto. Did you get my pm? Because I am not quite sure if it really got sent  :(.

Greets, Benny

af1121

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 12:13:01 pm »
Hi Umberto,

I sent you a pm on May, 8th about sdk. Did you receive it ?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:13:00 pm by af1121 »

BenBaron

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 05:37:06 pm »
Hi guys,

almost two years since I started this post  :). Is there any news on the subject? I'm also pretty sure I did write a pm to you, Umberto, but didn't get a reply  :-\.

I'm still quite interested in this topic and hope there is some progress to report.

All the best,

Benny

EDIT: I noticed, you are providing some LVars in the manual...as far as I can remember those are only accessible from inside the FS process, so by gauge or dll. So my question still holds for external interfacing and a more refined API  8).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 05:43:19 pm by BenBaron »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 10:08:30 am »
EDIT: I noticed, you are providing some LVars in the manual...as far as I can remember those are only accessible from inside the FS process, so by gauge or dll. So my question still holds for external interfacing and a more refined API 

Those variables are the only way available to interface with GSX. What are you trying to achieve, exactly ? LVar surely can be accessed by out-of process modules, perhaps using FSUIPC+LUA, or may using Linda:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/500848-explanation-of-lindas-gsx-door-service/

That's just an example, which has been made in a way more complex than it might have been, since the original poster commented about GSX not supplying variables to indicate when a service starts/stops, which as you already noticed, is no longer the case.

BenBaron

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 11:20:13 am »
Thanks Umberto for the fast reply.

I am looking into ways to automate the gsx processes programmatically for a small project of mine, thus it would also be nice if one could trigger those easily instead of simply reading their status. I know I can fetch the data into my external program (since there are other things I want to interface with inside the fs process I might write a small gauge in C++ anyways and simply add some functionality to parse the gsx data to my external program).

But if you were like: "You know, GSX version 2 is right around the corner with a super efficient and flexible API included, so better wait for that." ;), I would reconsider my whole design and try without running something extra inside the fs process.  :D

Nevertheless, thanks for all your efforts for the community.

All the best, Benny

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 03:07:24 pm »
it would also be nice if one could trigger those easily instead of simply reading their status.

Everything in GSX is made using standard Simconnect calls so, you could control it remotely (either from another app or another PC), by firing the event to display its menu, and then send the standard Simconnects events to select menu choices.

Sure, it will show the menu for a brief time so, it won't be as seamless as a proper remote API but, it might be easier to code, it won't require any changes in GSX from our side, and it might not be very difficult to keep updated, in case we would add new features to GSX.