Author Topic: Blue Screen Of Death With JFK Scenery Installed.  (Read 5527 times)

Alcides Segovia

Blue Screen Of Death With JFK Scenery Installed.
« on: October 14, 2008, 02:25:20 pm »
Hello FSDT/Virtuali Staff,

I recently bought the JFK Scenery for FSX version installed. Before JFK I had no crash Problems or Blue Screen of death. I believed it was a problem with fsx or some of the other addons. So i Uninstalled FSX and all of its applications and did a defragement then I installed FSX and tried it with no add ons then I added Active Sky and no problems, Then I installed the aircrafts Captain Sim and Level D, No problems then squawkbox and still no problems. At the end I added JFK and i started getting the problems again. Whe i departed the NYC Area around 1 to 1:30 into the flight I would get a freeze and a BOD. So I Uninstalled JFK with all its components and did the same flight and I had no problems. The strange thing was that I only got the BOD when i was departing the NYC area but when i was arriving from anywhere to NYC I landed safely Maybe there is a problem with the modules or something. I also made sure that i had the updated version of JFK

MY Specs are:
Windows Vista Home Edition 32 BIT
E8500 3.16GHZ NO OC
2GB RAM
NVIDIA 9500GT At 512 MB
80GB HD 21GB Free
APEVIA SUPERCOOL XCRUISER CASE
FSX DELUXE SP1 instlalled, SP2 INSTALLED.

ADD ONS:
LEVEL D 767 FSX SP2a
CAPTAIN SIM 757 BLOCK F
CAPTAIN SIM 757-300 EXPANSION
ACTIVE SKY X BUILD 1160
X GRAPHICS
SQUAWKBOX 4

Thank you hope this gets settled because it truly is a beautiful Scenery

Alcides Segovia
JR Repainter
Mcphat Studios
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 02:27:37 pm by Alcides Segovia »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Blue Screen Of Death With JFK Scenery Installed.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 02:36:46 pm »
Thank you hope this gets settled because it truly is a beautiful Scenery

Blue screens can't be caused by a normal software product that has no access whatsoever to the ring0 execution mode.

The ONLY software that can do this, it's a driver, either video or storage. In your case, is very likely video. However, the Blue Screen should list which driver (something that ends with *.SYS) caused the issue, together with other infos about locations, error code, etc.

You are probably assuming that JFK is causing the issue "just" because it seems to go away if you uninstall it.

The problem is, you are not making the test correctly because you are installing JFK AFTER all your other addons.

So, if the combination of the *other* addons put your system in a condition that is CLOSE to memory exhaustion or it's CLOSE to a situation of makeing the video driver behave badly and causing the BSOD, it's enough installing JFK to cross the boundary between being able to run FSX without the video driver exhibiting its bug, or not. You might have installed any other complex scenery, and it would probably happened as well.

So, a better test would be, instead, uninstalling all your addons and then trying JFK ALONE, and see if the problem reappears.