Author Topic: Cannot make VOR2 show on F/A 18 Hornet HUD.  (Read 5533 times)

Tregarth

Cannot make VOR2 show on F/A 18 Hornet HUD.
« on: May 28, 2015, 05:53:33 pm »
At one time I could make the VOR2 show on the Hornet HUD as a small arrow pointing towards the VOR  I have tried to use the TCN button, entered the VOR/DME frequency, clicked Enter but the frequency display still shows "OF" and nothing shows on the HSI either.  I can make the NDB pointer show on the HSI by using BCN button but not the VOR.

Would someone please remind me of how I can make the VOR arrow appear in the HUD?

Thank you,

Tregarth

PhantomTweak

Re: Cannot make VOR2 show on F/A 18 Hornet HUD.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 06:34:38 pm »
I am far from an expert on this subject, but the guy that is. Virtuali, wrote a thread, stickied near the top of this forum about how the nav system and the HUD works. radio system, too. Might want to take a look through it. The Handbook PDF file included with the bird is awful helpful too.
I know that the HSI will display either TACAN or ILS (not both), and NDB (beacon) if you plug it in to the UFC panel. The HSI must have either TCN or or ILS mode selected on the upper left soft-buttons. The direction of the chosen TACAN or ILS transmitter will display as a triangle on the outer part of the compass ring, if it's in range of course. Additionally, the HSI will display all the TACANs, Beacons, Intersections, and/or Airports (any one of the above or all of them), within the HSI's current range setting (Top row of buttons, canter), by selecting them with the soft button on the bottom row, far left button.
The HUD will display the Nav Arrow and ILS indicator lines if one of the add-on carriers or boats added in with AICarriers' frequency is selected. This is kind of a special feature added to Javier's version of the HUD, included in the FSXBA version of the hornet. Each carrier has it's own "frequency" assigned by the HUD. For example, the Nimitz version is 111.00 (TCN 47X). This will also automatically set the Course Line onto the NAV1 selector of the HUD Control Panel. It can be a bit odd watching the course setting for NAV1 change as the boat makes a turn. Pretty  handy for a quick reference for lining up on. The ILS indicators show up when behind the boat (within, I think, 10° of BRC, either side).
Unfortunately, the HSI displays none of this information for the carriers put in with AICarriers, like the HUD will. So it's a choice, essentially, between the steering arrow and full ILS, OR the HSI Course Selected line and only the ILS steering line on the HUD. Most of the static add-ons seem to have no glideslope information for some reason.
I hope all my rambling helps a little bit, rather than just made things worse :)
Pat☺

Tregarth

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 11:38:16 pm »
Many thanks for your reply.  I know about Virtuali's thread, I have printed it out for reference.

I have pressed all of the buttons on the panels in all the combinations I can think of and still the TACAN/VOR arrow does not show.  I fly from Manston (EGMH) and try to tune the TACAN to the DVR VOR/DME but although I input TCN ,11495 ENT on the UFC and have TCN selected on the HSI I still cannot make the arrow show in the HUD.

I can make the ILS display work by using ILS , 11175 ENT on the UFC and ILS on the HSI so I know I am doing something right.  I realise I can't have have the ILS and VOR display on the HUD at the same time, but when making an ILS approach I won't need the VOR.

What combination of buttons/switches do I need to make the VOR arrow appear in the HUD? 

I appreciate your help.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 01:38:57 am »
Hmmm, most odd. It works for me. I am trying to think why it's not for you.
It may be that the radio system is having a problem converting that VOR frequency (114.95) into it's TACAN equivalent (96Y should be shown). Try starting in the Hornet, pause, switch to the default C-172, or something with the default radio stack, punch in your VOR number in it's NAV1 radio, then switch back to the Hornet. Because it only uses one or the other (VOR or ILS) you need to use the NAV1 radio, not the NAV2. That is a workaround for a problem similar to this from a while back.
Also, try a different VOR freq to aim for and see if it shows the Arrow on the HUD or the triangle on the HSI compass rose. Remember, you have to be in-range of the selected VOR. Finally, make sure you have NAV1 selected on the HUD Control Panel. Perhaps you switched it during testing, and saved the flight off?  Make sure the NAV/GPS switch below the HUD Power switch is set to Nav, not GPS. I am desperately trying to think of all the mistakes I've made and not had it.
That's all I can think at the moment, I'll keep trying and making notes on what I find :) I know, I'm not a very big help, but I'm trying :D
Pat☺

Tregarth

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 12:39:13 pm »
Thank you for your suggestions.

The problem seems to have cleared itself.  I tuned the TCN on the F18 to 114.95 but when I went to the C172 and used the radio stack the frequency was 114.94  Most odd.  I think it might be a hardware problem since I am using a Saitek radio panel.  This also showed 114.94.  I twiddled the frequency knob which then changed to 114.95 and all is now OK.

Best regards and Thank You,

Tregarth

PhantomTweak

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 07:47:28 pm »
Glad I could help a little.
That TACAN channel to frequency conversion has been a problem from day one. The best work-around is the change-planes things, but, if you prefer and are familiar with Panel.cfg files, you can just put a regular radio stack into the FA-18's Panel  file as a pop-up and use that. Saves having to change planes all the time. If you are happy that the problem is fixed though, then I'm glad, and, obviously, no changes need be made.
Enjoy the bird, and watch for improvements in the http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,10839.0.html and the http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.0.html threads!
Pat☺

Tregarth

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 06:09:47 pm »
Thank you.  I have been conducting some "research" and find that thee seems to be a conflict between my Saitek radio panel (which I run using SPAD as the interface) and the aircraft.  As before inputting 114.95 on the F-18 panel shows as 114.94 on the Saitek panel.  Once I set it to 114.95 on the Saitek the VOR values show on the HUD.

I have now resorted to setting the frequency by
1. Pressing CLR
2. ILS
3. Inputting (111.00) on the Saitek VOR1 radio,
4. Pressing Act/STBY on the Saitek
5. ENT

This seems to work.  I appreciate the comments about the TACAN conversion, I would never have thought of that.

Best regards,

Thanks for the help.