Author Topic: Taxiing to the runway  (Read 4061 times)

alexzar14

Taxiing to the runway
« on: January 04, 2015, 08:57:48 pm »
Good afternoon. Please recommend a method to taxi to the runway. So far I'm fine using GSX helping me get to the terminal, but getting to the runway is a nightmare.
Let's say I know how to get to some (31 at JFK), others I don't and sometime (and it's funny indeed) a taxiway continues past the edge of the runway so I miss it, then it takes half hour to circle around until at the holding point. I had this at 22 at JFK and in KIAH too. There must be a way to get to the runway without referring to signs because there are often hard to read.

petakas

Re: Taxiing to the runway
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 09:53:46 pm »
There must be a way to get to the runway without referring to signs because there are often hard to read.

1. CHARTS
2. A moving map progam like FlightSim Commander
3. Progressive taxi (the purple dashed line) by AI of FS if you fly with AI ATC
Kyprianos Biris

Hnla

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 11:33:24 pm »
How do you think pilots in the real world navigate to runways?

alexzar14

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 02:21:54 am »
>How do you think pilots in the real world navigate to runways?

They have a good view of the signs on the ground, I just have a problem reading these in FS. It is possible, with great effort.

> Progressive taxi

It does not work with newer FSDT sceneries, that's the thing.

> A moving map progam like FlightSim Commander.

That one I have, but didn't know there is a moving map function, let me check it out...

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 02:38:55 am »
>How do you think pilots in the real world navigate to runways?

They have a good view of the signs on the ground, I just have a problem reading these in FS. It is possible, with great effort.
They might have signs, but they also have charts. Signs don't do any good if you can turn in two different directions at a particular intersection, so charts help to indicate which way you need to turn to get to the next taxiway or runway.
Captain Kevin