Author Topic: AI Carriers .NET  (Read 103651 times)

Orion

AI Carriers .NET
« on: December 26, 2014, 01:22:27 am »
AI Carriers .NET

I made a .NET port of Lamont Clark's AI Carriers utility, eliminating the need for Java.  I've also added support for Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition, which didn't seem to be compatible with the original.

Original description:

AICarriers: This is a small software that allows you to place and control single ships or complete naval fleets in Flight Simulator X. Doesn't need complex edit of traffic files or mission files. Just add carriers when you are in free flight, anywhere you want.

This version targets the .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile and supports Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Acceleration and SP2, Microsoft ESP, Lockheed Martin Prepar3D and Prepar3D v2, and Dovetail Games Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition.

Usage

This version of AI Carriers has re-implemented all functionality of Lamont Clark's original Java release. All cfg files and entries from the original should work with this version.

Simply launch the executable while Flight Simulator is running in order to connect to the simulator. Access the in-sim menu by either using the keyboard shortcut (Shift+J) or the add-ons menu inside of Flight Simulator.

Here's a sample exe.xml file to launch AI Carriers with Flight Simulator:

Code: [Select]
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>AICarriers</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>REPLACE WITH PATH TO AICarriers.exe</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

Acknowledgements

• Lamont Clark - Creating the original AI Carriers utility and being a proponent of open source software. :)
  • Steven Frost - Creating the ini parsing class used in the program.
  • Tim Gregson - Creating the BeatlesBlog Managed SimConnect library.

Note

To avoid confusion, please refer to this release as AI Carriers .NET. This is not an update to Lamont Clark's AI Carriers utility; this is an alternative. I am not affiliated with Lamont Clark, whose only participation was placing his original program in the public domain.

Download
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:33:52 pm by Orion »

hd764jvgd843

Re: AI Carriers .NET
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 02:58:27 am »
Thanks, this is really great!

As I have sometimes stability issues with AI Carriers and Java, I hope the .NET port will work well.
I will give it a try later on.

Peter

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 01:37:33 pm »
I took AI Carriers .NET for a quick spin this morning. Works great!

- I really like the taskbar icon, so you can easily see if AICarrier opens/closes properly, instead of searching for hung up java processes.
- Some font is missing, displaying the (c) character in the taskbar rollover info not showing properly. See screenshot below...

Peter

Thanks again for this .NET port, much appreciated!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 01:39:32 pm by hd764jvgd843 »

Orion

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 02:31:57 am »
Glad you like it and good to hear that it's working. :)

I did a quick test and there's no missing font; the BeatlesBlog Managed SimConnect library actually returns � (character 65533).  It's likely an encoding problem in the information it receives from Prepar3D.  I made a C++ test program which gives what I'd expect to be an invalid character value of -82, which somehow resolves to ®, the registered trademark symbol.

Striker

• Sierra Hotel
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 04:29:54 pm »
Thanks, Orion, for another great program. So glad to see Java removed.
Respectfully,
Striker

Charlie Time

SandPro

• FSXCarrierOps
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 06:53:29 am »
Great Job and THANKS !!!

Orion

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 10:05:42 am »
You're welcome!  Glad to see it being used. :)

ega

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 05:39:16 pm »
I apologise for the (certainly obvious) question: how to install?

I see  files AIcarriers.zip and AIcarriers-1.0.zip. Are both required? 

Is it required to uninstall the original AIcarriers program? 

Thanks
Edmundo

ega

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 06:38:41 pm »
Well, the installation is indeed obvious...I just donĀ“t see what to do with files inside the zip AICarriers-1.0.
thanks
Edmundo

Orion

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 09:55:41 pm »
Click the green AICarriers.zip button to download.  Follow the instructions in the included Readme.txt to install and use.

The source code is available in zip and tar.gz files through the corresponding buttons to the right of the green download button.  The source code has no purpose to end users; it is not required to use AI Carriers .NET.  Developers who would like to make changes or improvements are encouraged to fork the repository and send pull requests should they feel inclined.

You may want to disable Lamont Clark's original Java version of AI Carriers before using AI Carriers .NET, as running both simultaneously may result in undefined behavior.

sieggie

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 01:53:45 am »
Great improvement over the Java version. Now I don't have to fear updating Java that AICarrier will stop working. As a request, since this code is still fresh in your mind, could you add a couple of improvements? An additional distance selection of say 20 mile and a selection to turn into the wind would make this a truly perfect enhancement.

Thanks,

Dave

ega

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 12:53:24 pm »
Thanks Orion!

It works as advertised! Many thanks!

Edmundo

Jymp

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 03:17:22 pm »
Thanks Orion, but I'm with the other fella, I read the read me, not sure how to install.

Orion

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 10:07:46 pm »
Dave: Might be able to add some features, but I'm a bit tied up with other things at the moment.

Edmundo: You're welcome!

Jymp: There is no need to install.  All you need to do is launch the exe file while Flight Simulator is running.  You need to edit the exe.xml file if and only if you want Flight Simulator to automatically start AI Carriers .NET at sim startup.

einherz

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 11:19:26 pm »
hi, it's not work for me:( i have installed and full updated framework, and i think it include client, or i'm worng there? thank you
actually java work ok for me, but i realy interested use this too, it's realy fun have  two similar things for found some different
when i start simulator net version is start but not connect, just stay in try and popup messages wrote "not connected"
have a nice day, happy ney year, and good luck