Author Topic: My Tour of Rome with XPOI ...  (Read 4828 times)

JamesChams

My Tour of Rome with XPOI ...
« on: October 31, 2008, 05:46:24 am »
Today I took my first "Virtual tour" of the Cloud9's/FSDT's XCity Rome along with FSDT's XPOI ...
... I was Awesome.  :o

Here are a few screen shots of me trying to wake up the Pope for a photo op.  ;D

Enjoy! ... And, if you haven't already, go get XPOI....  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:10:24 am by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
Re: My Tour of Rome with XPOI ...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 04:45:44 pm »
Seeing all that extra green in the screen shots is very distracting.  I can almost imagine what it's like flying around them.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 06:00:15 pm »
Seeing all that extra green in the screen shots is very distracting.

Maybe there's a big misunderstanding how XPOI works: all the 3d icons can be disabled when flying, even without stopping the flight. So, the standard use would be, flying with XPOI icons off, then turning it on to have a peek around the area and see what's there, then turn it off again.

Also, the Wikipedia information display the icon only if you ASK informations for it, then it goes away. So, another use might be flying with Geonames POIs always off, and asking *only* for Wikipedia informations when needed.

And, the screenshots that James posted, are in Rome, and the biggest concentration of POIs it's usually found at big cities, especially the ones with a strong touristic interest. The typical average landscape is usually not so crowded. BUT, obviously, XPOI can be finely tuned to adapt to the area, because it's possible to selectively turn on/off both major classes (populated places, mountains, hydrography, vegetation, etc.) and even turn on/off individual sub-classes like, for example, inside the main "populated places" class, you can choose to display only capital cities, or perhaps regular towns as well, but not small villages. Or, you can turn on just airports, for example and leave everything off.

I can almost imagine what it's like flying around them.

Very fun...

JamesChams

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 06:02:46 am »
Gents,

Yeah, I played around with all those features that Virtuali has mentioned and it was great; You can even get it to just show you the one landmark that you are interested in and it will fly you to it (using the autopilot feature).

But, I hope that you (Virtuali) can make the green (points of interest) somewhat clickable/selectable within FSX itself;  This means that all I have to do is point my mouse at it and click on it and the mini-browser pop's up with the necessary info.  I ask this because, I found it hard to type and fly at the same time  :P  , especially with some of the lengthy names of the sites at Rome. 

PS: Thanks again for making this tool/utility - It's really awesome.  :D ;D
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams