Author Topic: Can't see ANY FSDT airport  (Read 8341 times)

mozart

Can't see ANY FSDT airport
« on: October 05, 2008, 12:43:26 am »
1) Zurich and Chicago not installed nor scenery activated

Please, clarify what do you mean with "not installed" or "not activated".

Not installed means the scenery files aren't on the hard drive anymore and/or the scenery was removed from the Scenery Library. This CAN'T simply happen to Zurich/O'Hare by just *installing* JFK. JFK installer doesn't remove any files from these sceneries, so it's impossible that after JFK installation, you have KORD/LSZH "not installed". Unless, by "not installed" you mean something else.

Also, please, clarify what do you mean by "not activated".

Not activated means you lost your hardware activation. When losing the activation (this can only happen with a change of hardware), a scenery reverts to Trial mode. This means, it will run perfectly, for 5 minutes. If you lost your activation, the Addon Manager will say that scenery is in Trial mode. If the Addon Manager says the scenery is activated, you haven't lost your activation.

Unless, by "not activated", you mean something else.

2) Installed JFK. Scenery got activated automatically in the scenery.cfg

Of course.

3) Used Addon Manager to purchase JFK, and I got confirmation "scenery is now active"

That's normal.

5) I had read something about installing the FSDT airports in a certain order, thus:

The order of installation is entirely irrelevant, provided you already have the current installers that gets all the crucial files of the Addon Manager from the internet. The order of installation *might* be relevant if, for LSZH or KORD you still had an older installer, with no internet download of the Addon Manager files. JFK has been released only with this new installer type.

7) Installed Zurich and activated it manually (no automatic activation)

What do you mean, in this case, with "automatic activation" ? Activation is something that usually is done only when changing hardware. Unless, by "activation", you mean something entirely different, like the automatic addition of the scenery to the Scenery Library.

If the scenery wasn't automatically added to the Scenery Library, this is usually because there's was already a problem with your scenery.cfg, but the installer should have issued a warning about this.

IN THIS CASE, the installation didn't complete, and no files for Zurich were copied (only if you had the warning)

10) Started FS: all three sceneries are in trial version. However, Addon Manager confirms that all sceneries are registered, and there's no possibility to re-enter the code.

Please, clarify what do you mean by "Trial mode"

Trial mode means that the scenery runs perfectly for 5-6 minutes, and when you go to the airport, you'll see a message stating "Trial mode for zzzzz starting". Trial mode DOESN'T mean you don't see any scenery!

If the Addon Manger says the scenery is Active, then is active. If you don't see any scenery, it means the scenery hasn't be added to the scenery library OR, since you said you had to add it manually, it might be because the installation wasn't completed because a problem with scenery.cfg. You should have seen a warning coming from the installer, so you are addding to the library an incomplete scenery

First, your problem doesn't look like to be something related to activation/registration. And, it seems you ARE able to run the Addon Manager properly, so we scratch any simconnect/antivirus/firewall issues.

I think you should simply start from scratch. Please do exactly as I've said. Don't do anything else.

1) Ensure you have the current installer for all 3 sceneries. If unsure, download them again.

2) Uninstall all 3. Reply YES to the questions about removing the Addon Manager

3) Reboot

4) Ensure no bglman* files are left in the FS9\MODULES folder. If any of them is still there, manually delete it.

5) Install Zurich, launch FS9, check the Addon Manager runs, check the scenery shows. If you don't see the Addon Manager menu, don't do anything, simply exit and try again. If you SEE the Addon Manager menu and it says the scenery is Active, but you don't see the any scenery, STOP HERE, because something is already very wrong.

6) If Zurich works, just install KORD and then JFK, they should work.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 01:33:58 am by virtuali »

mozart

Re: Can't see ANY FSDT airport
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 01:19:50 am »
Hello forum administrator

It seems that my topic has been moved to the "JFK for FSX" subforum.

Let me just state that I am using FS9 (not FSX), and that I have the problem with ALL of the FSDT airports, not just JFK. So maybe this isn't the right place? At least it should be in FS9?

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 01:35:07 am »
Let me just state that I am using FS9 (not FSX), and that I have the problem with ALL of the FSDT airports, not just JFK. So maybe this isn't the right place? At least it should be in FS9?

I moved it in the JFK section (it's now under FS9), because the problem happened after installing JFK.

I also edited the reply to remove the parts not relevant to FS9.

mozart

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 03:25:01 pm »
Thanks a lot for your prompt and rich response. I tried doing exactly what you suggested - no successful outcome I am afraid. Let me describe:

1) Zurich and Chicago not installed nor scenery activated

Please, clarify what do you mean with "not installed" or "not activated".

Not installed means the scenery files aren't on the hard drive anymore and/or the scenery was removed from the Scenery Library. This CAN'T simply happen to Zurich/O'Hare by just *installing* JFK. JFK installer doesn't remove any files from these sceneries, so it's impossible that after JFK installation, you have KORD/LSZH "not installed". Unless, by "not installed" you mean something else.

Also, please, clarify what do you mean by "not activated".

Not activated means you lost your hardware activation. When losing the activation (this can only happen with a change of hardware), a scenery reverts to Trial mode. This means, it will run perfectly, for 5 minutes. If you lost your activation, the Addon Manager will say that scenery is in Trial mode. If the Addon Manager says the scenery is activated, you haven't lost your activation.

Unless, by "not activated", you mean something else.

"Not installed" = after having last used Zurich and Chicago a couple of weeks back I de-installed them. No LSZH or KORD-related folders and files in FS9 anymore.
"Not activated" = no entry in the scenery.cfg list.

Thus, my installation of JFK was as if I installed it on a system with no Chicago or Zurich.

7) Installed Zurich and activated it manually (no automatic activation)

What do you mean, in this case, with "automatic activation" ? Activation is something that usually is done only when changing hardware. Unless, by "activation", you mean something entirely different, like the automatic addition of the scenery to the Scenery Library.

If the scenery wasn't automatically added to the Scenery Library, this is usually because there's was already a problem with your scenery.cfg, but the installer should have issued a warning about this.

IN THIS CASE, the installation didn't complete, and no files for Zurich were copied (only if you had the warning)

Indeed, I meant "not automatically added to the scenery library". It did happen on the first installation of JFK (as described above in step 2). However, the installer did NOT issue a warning.

10) Started FS: all three sceneries are in trial version. However, Addon Manager confirms that all sceneries are registered, and there's no possibility to re-enter the code.

Please, clarify what do you mean by "Trial mode"

Trial mode means that the scenery runs perfectly for 5-6 minutes, and when you go to the airport, you'll see a message stating "Trial mode for zzzzz starting". Trial mode DOESN'T mean you don't see any scenery!

If the Addon Manger says the scenery is Active, then is active. If you don't see any scenery, it means the scenery hasn't be added to the scenery library OR, since you said you had to add it manually, it might be because the installation wasn't completed because a problem with scenery.cfg. You should have seen a warning coming from the installer, so you are addding to the library an incomplete scenery

Indeed, not trial mode, as I don't see ANY buildings right from the start.

In the meantime I did exactly like you suggested, including downloading the latest version from the site (for instance: Zurich 1.3.1). Results:

1) Installed Zurich, including download of files from the web during the installation process. No warning messages
2) However, scenery does NOT appear in the scenery library
3) When going to Zurich, buildings don't show.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 05:26:47 pm »
1) Installed Zurich, including download of files from the web during the installation process. No warning messages

2) However, scenery does NOT appear in the scenery library

This simply can't be. I've just checked again the installer, and it add the scenery to the library just fine.

3) When going to Zurich, buildings don't show

Even if you add the scenery to the scenery library manually ?

Do you see the Addon Manger menu ? As I've said, if you see it, this means is running. If it's running and it says the scenery is Active, then it's active. And, even if it was in Trial, it would work for 5 minutes.

Sorry, but this can't simply happen. The only way why it would happen, following your description is one of the following:

1) you are still trying to use an old Zurich installer.

2) you are not using FS9.1, but 9.0 instead.

The fact the scenery hasn't been added to the scenery library automatically, yet you haven't seen any warning message, can't simply happen as well.

HB75

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 09:29:45 am »
hi umberto

i'm using lszh for a while and i love the scenery!
because of this great scenery i bought jfk few days ago.

and i have the following problem:
as i run the installer there was a message related to the scenery.cfg.
the result: no buildings from your scenery at jfk (only fs9 standard).
in the menu the airport is activated.

so when i understand you right, this means the scenery is installed correctly, but the entry in the scenery.cfg is missing.

meanwhile i deleted the malicious entry in the scenrey.cfg and run your installer again (several times).
no message anymore, but still no scenery at jfk. (only fs9 standard scenery)

it seams to be i have to add the scenery now manually to the scenery library - is this correct?

maybe this is the same what's happend to the other costumer who oppened this thread.

if it works after adding the scenery manually to the library, i'll buy kord as well - and all your future products!
keep up your great work..  :o

daniel
best regards
daniel

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 10:19:10 am »
as i run the installer there was a message related to the scenery.cfg.

The installer told you that your scenery.cfg was ALREADY corrupted by something else. In this case, the installer will ONLY warn you to fix it, but it will not touch it any way.

the result: no buildings from your scenery at jfk (only fs9 standard).

That's obvious: no scenery will be seen if it's not added to the Scenery Library, this is normal FS behaviour.

in the menu the airport is activated.

that's normal as well: product registration/Activation doesn't have anything to do with the fact the scenery is added to the Scenery Library, or it's even installed. As explained several times, the registration/activation is never lost, even when uninstalling the scenery, you need to reinstall Windows to have to register again.

meanwhile i deleted the malicious entry in the scenrey.cfg and run your installer again (several times).  no message anymore, but still no scenery at jfk. (only fs9 standard scenery)

This shouldn't simply happen. If you scenery.cfg is clean, the scenery WILL be added to it. Are you sure you are using the current installer ?

it seams to be i have to add the scenery now manually to the scenery library - is this correct?

No, you shouldn't. The installer is supposed to work with a clean scenery.cfg and you don't have to add it manually in any case. It will not hurt if you do but, I still suspect that something else is wrong. It would help if you ATTACH (not copy&paste, pleae, use ATTACH) your scenery.cfg here, or send it via email, because it might be interesting having a look at it.

HB75

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 12:16:05 pm »
hi umberto

thank you for your replay.

i will attach my scenery.cfg later today - or tomorrow.
best regards
daniel

mozart

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 01:14:55 pm »
OK, I got it fixed now. Not exactly along the lines described above, but it worked:

1) I re-installed Zurich, which did NOT add itself automatically to the scenery library. So I got the default LSZH
2) So I did what I always do, I quit FS and I use the FSNav tool to add sceneries. I browsed to FSDreamteam/Zurich/scenery
3) Re-started FS. All I got now was the FSDT scenery without the buildings
4) Within FS, went to the scenery library. Deleted the Zurich entry.
5) Then added the Zurich scenery to the library again, this time from within FS. I browsed to FSDreamteam/Zurich (without going to the level of the "scenery" subfolder).
6) Quit FS and restarted.
7) Et voilĂ , it worked! I had Zurich
8) Quit FS again, and installed Chicago and New York. They were then automatically added to the scenery library, which I could also see in the FSNav tool.

So the reason must be a problem with the scenery library. As long as none of the FSDT sceneries was added manually from within FS, I could neither add them through the FSNav database tool nor would the installer add the scenery.

But now it works, and after some playing around with the AFCAD (airline gate assignments mainly) I now have an absolutely wonderful JFK!!! Thanks a lot the team!

:)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 01:59:12 pm »
1) I re-installed Zurich, which did NOT add itself automatically to the scenery library. So I got the default LSZH
2) So I did what I always do, I quit FS and I use the FSNav tool to add sceneries. I browsed to FSDreamteam/Zurich/scenery
3) Re-started FS. All I got now was the FSDT scenery without the buildings

Ok, so the problem is that you were trying to add the scenery to the scenery library using FSNav

4) Within FS, went to the scenery library. Deleted the Zurich entry.
5) Then added the Zurich scenery to the library again, this time from within FS. I browsed to FSDreamteam/Zurich (without going to the level of the "scenery" subfolder).
6) Quit FS and restarted.
7) Et voilĂ , it worked! I had Zurich

When, instead, using the standard FS procedure, everything worked as it should.

8) Quit FS again, and installed Chicago and New York. They were then automatically added to the scenery library, which I could also see in the FSNav tool.

that's normal.

So the reason must be a problem with the scenery library. As long as none of the FSDT sceneries was added manually from within FS, I could neither add them through the FSNav database tool nor would the installer add the scenery.

From your description, looks like the only problem is FSNav. Apparently, it couldn't add Zurich in the proper way because, as soon as you used the standard FS method, it worked.

This might be also related in some way. Maybe FSNav had an issue reading the scenery.cfg and it wasn't closing the file properly so, our installer couldn't get write access to it.

But now it works, and after some playing around with the AFCAD (airline gate assignments mainly) I now have an absolutely wonderful JFK!!! Thanks a lot the team!

:)
[/quote]

HB75

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 08:19:45 am »
hi umberto

it also works for me now.
i've added the scenerys with the "scenery manager" in fs9 and everything is ok now!
before i had to correct the corupted scenery.cfg manually.

i'm very happy with your scenerys and your support, thank you!

today i'll buy kord as well..  :D
best regards
daniel