Author Topic: All Chicago Area Stock Scenery Vanishes, Leaving FSDT KORD Airport Alone  (Read 56773 times)

grasshopper

Hello Umberto, I have just recently started up flying a few flight sim sessions after a time spent away from the hobby, and something really odd has occurred in the Chicago area, in all the scenery surrounding O'Hare, which is the only area with ground scenery now. The entire area that used to appear in sharp photo-real scenery, is now a grey soup with regular patterns of pink crisscrossing it.  This strange loss of all ground scenery EXCEPT for FSDT OHare airport, has totally ruined the flying experience for me, and I am writing to find out if you might be aware of any conflicts between FSDT O'Hare and the addon general Chicago ground scenery that I have used for years with no issues. 

In addition to FSDT Ohare, I had installed VFR Chicago, which up till recently provided photo-real scenery that covered downtown Chicago and all the suburbs that surround both O'Hare and Midway, making this one of my favorite areas to run very short flights, such as touch and go landings at O'Hare, and short hops between O'Hare and Midway airports.  Now, however, all that wonderful scenery surrounding O'Hare is replaced with this grey soup, and the tall buildings of downtown can be seen poking through the sea of grey in a sort of surreal moonscape that has left me scratching my head.

As I mentioned already, the airport grounds of OHare and all other detail is perfectly intact, but all scenery stretching out from the airport boundaries has been converted into the bizarre grey soup that I described above.  I have no idea if this issue is in any way related to FSDT OHare, or related to the other Chicago area product VFR Chicago, that I have used with no problems before now, so I am writing to see if there is any advice you can offer to solve this frustrating problem.

Much thanks in advance.

grasshopper

Re: All Chicago Area Stock Scenery Vanishes, Leaving FSDT KORD Airport Alone
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 06:57:07 am »
Using the idea from a second thread on this issue, I simply changed FS9 season settings to "Summer" and the grey soup vanished like a bad dream, leaving me with perfect ground scenery in the entire Chicago area, right up to the boundaries of OHare airport, as before.

Problem solved, with much thanks to Sensei Watanabe who started the other thread on this topic, and who stumbled on the simple fix that ended my worries.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:14:24 am »
The problem wasn't caused by the FSDT airport, of course, since it was the only thing it was still working. You were probably simply missing the seasonal textures for the scenery outside of it.

grasshopper

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 07:59:25 pm »
Oh yes FSDT's Ohare worked perfectly all along, Umberto, and my reason for asking here was out of desperation really, since I hadn't yet found a way to contact the makers of VFR Chicago regarding this question.

Anyway, shortly after I posted my question here, I found an earlier post made by Watanabi that addressed the same problem, and then identified the time of year setting as the source of the problem with the ground scenery of VFR Chicago suddenly vanishing.

Much thanks as always for your quick response to user questions, even when those inquiries don't arise from any real issues with FSDT products, as it turned out to be the case in this instance.

Regards from Tony