Author Topic: Just bought Zurich X - all ground objects are black or green  (Read 3924 times)

mikjet

Just bought Zurich X - all ground objects are black or green
« on: November 09, 2014, 10:35:30 pm »
As seen in the picture, ground objects appear black or green.  Reran installer, no change.  Checked other airports, no problems there.  Only LSZH.
Anyone know what that is and why?   Is there a solution?   I did not find anything relating to this in this group.

Just did an uninstall to Zurich, GSX and addon manager and reinstalled - did not resolve the issue.   baggage carts appear as green boxes on one side and black on the other side.    Buses are black and green moving boxes.  

Running windows 7 x64, FSX SP2.  

Michel.

Update: after couple hours of research, reinstallation and other experiments, problem traced to how Zurich textures were made/named.   Apparently they share the same file names as a freeware Kathmandu scenery, specifically DDS files which seem to interfere with Zurich.   Why this is so, I do not know.  I have not seen this happen with any other airport I have.    Disabling the Kathmandu scenery fixed the Zurich ground objects, but that's not a solution really.   One should not have to choose between sceneries to make one work at the expense of the other.   

So, if anyone else has this problem, now you know why and where to go look for it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:14:26 am by mikjet »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Just bought Zurich X - all ground objects are black or green
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 09:45:42 am »
Update: after couple hours of research, reinstallation and other experiments, problem traced to how Zurich textures were made/named.   Apparently they share the same file names as a freeware Kathmandu scenery, specifically DDS files which seem to interfere with Zurich.   Why this is so, I do not know.  

No, the problem is NOT "how Zurich textures were made/named", the problem is that the author of that free Kathmandu scenery, named Antoine Calleja, has STOLEN lots of textures from Zurich, and included in the Kathmandu package found on Avsim see the attached screenshot using a file-compare utility, which shows all files that are included in the Zurich distribution and the Kathmandu archive on Avsim.

Some of them are bit-by-bit identical, others are only *slightly* modified with only a minimal change of color balance, to have the file looking "different" on a file compare, which proves files weren't there by accident. The red bus still has a Swiss texture, and the Dnata van still has a Zurich plate!

And it wasn't just textures, he also stolen the Zurich vehicle library: the VNKT_LIB_mzzi.BGL file contains the same vehicles .MDLs as Zurich, and he hasn't bothered to change the objects GUIDs or the "friendly name" property, so they still retain our original names, which were written in italian...you would wonder why an author with a name that sound spanish, which apparently lives in Malta, would call a van "furgoncino" (italian for "van"), had he made the object himself...

He probably made some mistakes too, that's why you were having visual problems, but I wouldn't lose any more time investigating why.

One should not have to choose between sceneries to make one work at the expense of the other.  

If some freeware authors (this is not the first time parts of a commercial product ends up in a free scenery) had a bit more of ethic and tried to LEARN to do stuff, instead of just stealing it, you wouldn't had that problem to begin with.

The offending file has been reported to Avsim for removal.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:31:13 pm by virtuali »

mikjet

Re: Just bought Zurich X - all ground objects are black or green
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 02:51:27 pm »
Makes sense.   thank you for the explanation.   I removed the 'stealware' from my system.   

Michel.