Author Topic: Every Single Airport---Afcad not found error message  (Read 8788 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Every Single Airport---Afcad not found error message
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 09:57:10 am »
However, if my scenery.cfg is corrupted, how is it that (a)I do not get a scenery error flag when FSX loads, and(b) how come I can select any or all the airports including all my non-FSDT add-ons without any problems?

There might be two possible explanations for this:

1) FSX doesn't use the standard Windows routine to read .INI files, but has its own parsing routine, which has been made more robust against syntax errors, so it's able to just skip the problematic area, instead of refusing the read the file or, probably, the sections after the corrupted one.

Both GSX and (likely) Flightsim commander, use standard (provided either by Windows or by some standard library) .INI parsing routines, that are more formally correct, so they treat as errors what FSX is able to accept.

OR

2) BECAUSE of FSX is running in Compatibility mode, it's reading from another scenery.cfg file, instead of the one running under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

Again, not possible to know without having a look at your scenery.cfg and checking if it's really corrupted.

vc-10man

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 11:47:03 pm »
Thanks for that explanation.

Here's the Scenery,cfg attached.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 12:00:25 am »
Your scenery.cfg is fine, so I think your FSX is looking at it in a different folder than normal. As you can see in your scenery.cfg, the layer number and the sceneries don't match the layer numbers in the Couatl.LOG

Do you have perhaps ANOTHER scenery.cfg file in this folder ?

C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

That would indicate a permission problem with your user account, like changing permission before/after installing FSX or installing some addons.

vc-10man

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 01:28:22 pm »
Thanks, Umberto. You may have found the problem for me as I looked in C:\Users\MyNAME\AppData\Local\...............but no VirtualStore folder. Wonder where that disappeared to?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 01:36:16 pm »
Well, not having the Virtualstore folder it's not really a problem, it's only used by programs that TRY to write into C:\ProgramData but, for some reason, don't have permission to do that, so the OS redirects writes into C:\ProgramData to C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\

Have your tried searching the WHOLE hard drive for another scenery.cfg ? Be sure to include all files and folders, even the hidden ones, in the search.

vc-10man

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 01:49:04 pm »
Oddly enough, just after I had posted my last reply, I did find a Scenery,cfg, which I did not delete but re-named so as not to lose it, sitting in :

C\:Users\MyNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder

Thinking it was indeed odd, I then fired up FSX expecting to see an error flag about missing sceneries. Instead, I got a message that eSellerate had detected a hardware change and had to go though some Activation screens, and the FSX loaded to the default Trike. But I still do not see the 'Customise airport positions' option from the drop-down Addons menu that I get only at FSDT airports, e. LSZH.

vc-10man

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 04:21:44 pm »
Finally, finally, managed to sort this out.

All up and running and working as should be.

QED #2