Author Topic: marshaller not seen!  (Read 5194 times)

coolgovind180

marshaller not seen!
« on: October 14, 2014, 07:39:22 am »
respected sir,

I noticed one thing in GSX all of a sudden...even though it says a marshaller has been dispatched on site..I am not able to see any marshaller when i am parking at a GATE after landing....What might be the problem causing this?

Rest all is fine except that there is no marshaller to guide me... Should we must request follow me so that a marshaller is present at gate??

Thanking you

GOVIND

pilot3033

Re: marshaller not seen!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 08:15:49 am »
What airport? I've noticed that at some airports, especially those with custom AFCAD files, the parking spot is really close to a scenery object, and the marshaller will be inside of said object.

coolgovind180

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:50:38 am »
i noticed this at WIII (jakarta) and at OTDB....these two only i noticed..

How to rectify this issue then? hope the developer reply fast and sort it out....

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 10:55:54 am »
This has been discussed many times already, for example here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6097.msg53872.html#msg53872

and of course it's also discussed in the manual, and of course the previous user already replied to you with the reason.

GSX doesn't know anything of the outside scenery, other than the AFCAD. It doesn't know if there's a building or another obstacle. The Marshaller "ideal" position is calculated automatically depending on your eyepoint position inside the cockpit, but sometimes this distance is too high, because there might be a building too close behind him, so he will be placed inside the building and you won't see him.

WHICH IS WHY, GSX has a Parking Customization page, where you can specify, for each parking, several parameters, and the one you need is the "Max Marshaller Distance", so you can adjust the calculated distance to be not greater than a certain amount, so the marshaller won't end up inside a building.

Note that, the calculation for the distance use a lower value, if the parking has a jetway, on the assumption that parkings with jetways have a building behind that *might* cause problems, while parkings in the open usually have plenty of space for the marshaller. This means, if you are using a scenery that has fake/static jetways that cannot be detected automatically, sometimes might be enough to just enable the option "Parking has a jetway", to have the Marshaller reappear without having the change the Max Marshaller distance.

Doing this is worth in any case, because if you have a parking with a fake/static jetway, it's best to tell GSX about it, so it won't call for a passenger bus and front stairs.

coolgovind180

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 11:43:51 am »
marshaller was not seen on parking gates without jetways...this means that the 2 gates where i didnt see marshaller was gates on which there were not jetways..may be the marshaller is inside the building in front of it..

So in order to rectify this i should decrease the maximum marshaller distance right?? what is the optimum value??

thanking you

govind

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 01:29:55 pm »
marshaller was not seen on parking gates without jetways...this means that the 2 gates where i didnt see marshaller was gates on which there were not jetways..may be the marshaller is inside the building in front of it..

Which just make my point: if the parking doesn't have a jetway, the program calculates a larger optimal distance based on the EYEPOINT of your cockpit, assuming that, if there's no jetway, maybe there's no building too. But if there is a building, the marshaller would have a better chance of getting inside of it, if there's no jetway.

What I meant about parking with fake/static jetways, instead, is that since GSX doesn't have a way to *detect* them (they don't exist), it will not use the smaller distance calculation that is usually done when there IS a jetway, but this is a different issue that doesn't apply to your case, but I had to explain it nonetheless, since you haven't said if that parking had a jetway or not.

So in order to rectify this i should decrease the maximum marshaller distance right?? what is the optimum value??

Don't you think if there *was* an "optimal" value that would work everywhere, we wouldn't had that setting, and would have that optimal value already calculated by GSX ? There's no optimal value, of course!

It depends how the scenery is made and where the objects and, as I've said, GSX doesn't have any clue (except for the parking locations in the AFCAD) how the scenery is made, which is why that setting is user-settable to begin with. You must try different values, until the marshaller is exactly in front of the building wall. And, best if you do it with an airplane with an high cockpit ( like a 747, 777 or A340 ), so you know that would be the maximum amount GSX would ever try to calculate.

coolgovind180

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 09:09:40 am »
that is bit of a job...everytime for each gate i have to set an optimum marshaller distance!! :(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 12:13:24 pm »
that is bit of a job...everytime for each gate i have to set an optimum marshaller distance!! :(

Not for each gate, only for those that have a building behind AND that building is closer than the optimal distance (based on your cockpit height) calculated by GSX.