Author Topic: Water/Waves Popping Through PHNL Ground Surfaces in P3Dv2.3  (Read 18770 times)

garrettprs

Water/Waves Popping Through PHNL Ground Surfaces in P3Dv2.3
« on: August 27, 2014, 12:05:02 am »
Hi there,

I bought several FSDT airports the other day and am noticing two issues unique to PHNL (see attached pictures). It looks like ocean water is protruding over the ground surface. Had I taken a video, you'd see that the water and waves are oscillating over the scenery (it's not merely sitting water) and essentially correlates to the wave animation in the simulator. In an attempt to be a good and diligent customer, I tried for a while to troubleshoot this issue and changed around virtually every setting I could think of: tesselation, texture resolution, mesh resolution, etc. and also tried installing some REX water textures and animations in case the default DirectX 11 textures and animations aren't compatible with the airport.

The second issue, perhaps related to the first one, is that the ground polygons seem to be elevated to the extent that the wheels and landing gear on both AI and user aircraft appear to be sinking into the ground. It happens only in select places (I didn't notice this when I was testing out the trial version since I think I was being spawned at a non-affected runway due to default weather settings) but, most notably, the tarmacs. Again, please see attached photos.

I am not using any mesh or vectoring addons.

These two issues aside, it's an otherwise fantastic airport rendition and very well done.

Thanks so much,
Garrett

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Water/Waves Popping Through PHNL Ground Surfaces in P3Dv2.3
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 12:10:07 am »
It looks like ocean water is protruding over the ground surface.

Nobody reported it before, but we'll check it.

The second issue, perhaps related to the first one, is that the ground polygons seem to be elevated to the extent that the wheels and landing gear on both AI and user aircraft appear to be sinking into the ground.

There's nothing wrong with the scenery, it's raised a bit from ground intentionally, and it's made like that for the precise reason to prevent ground flickering. All sceneries that feature custom ground are made in a similar way, you might noticed it more/less depending how many ground layers they have, how big the airport area is, and even where in world it's located.

garrettprs

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 12:26:28 am »
As I noted in my KFLL thread - thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Regarding the second issue - I was not aware of that being the case. I think all it means is that I should spend more time in the cockpit and less time spectating outside the aircraft.  :)

garrettprs

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 10:50:15 am »
Update: In an effort to check up on the issue I reported regarding KFLL, I reinstalled FSX and installed PHNL as well. Neither of the aforementioned issues with PHNL occur in FSX so something must be going on with PHNL in relation to P3D. Regarding the ground polys, they may be elevated as you suggest but not certainly to the level seen in P3D; in FSX, it's hardly noticeable. Further, the issue doesn't occur with any other FSDT airports in P3D or FSX.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 10:52:58 am »
Regarding the ground polys, they may be elevated as you suggest but not certainly to the level seen in P3D; in FSX, it's hardly noticeable. Further, the issue doesn't occur with any other FSDT airports in P3D or FSX.

That's confirms what I said, it's a difference in rendering of ground layers using FS8/9 code, which FSX supports better than P3D. We'll likely fix those issues in the future, when all airports will be eventually upgraded to remove any legacy code, like we did with JFK V2.

garrettprs

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 01:24:21 am »
Revisiting this since I've learned a good deal more about scenery development. Can all of these issues be fixed by merely recompiling the ground poly (using Model Converter X perhaps)? I've had mixed results with Model Converter X's ground poly wizard but surely the original development team can run the ground files through a P3Dv2-ready ground compiler and this could be solved relatively quickly.

elphaso

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 12:09:49 pm »
I am in the same situation

the landing gear is sinking about a half of wheel at PHNL .. it's wierd and unrealistic...

please, check and fix it

it happend on P3D V4 , P3D V3 and i attatched capture file from P3D V3

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 12:46:19 pm by elphaso »

Dustof2002

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 08:06:17 am »
I think, I had the same problem with P3D V4. No solution?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 10:52:37 am »
I think, I had the same problem with P3D V4. No solution?

Please read my previous replies. It's not a problem or a bug. It's just how the scenery always looked like, even in FSX, and it's how all our FSX airports using native FSX code always looked like. The only one that don't have this issue, are the very latest ones, which use native P3D code for the ground polygons.

As I've said, it will be solved when we'll eventually release a native P3D version which, as been discussed in other threads, cannot be worked on right now, since the author of the Hawaii sceneries is currently busy working on an update Geneva for P3D4.

marknie

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 07:48:14 am »
So the developer only works on one thing at a time and cant fix design flaws? Why bother porting it over to P3d V4 then if its not fully compatible?  Is it just to make a sale?  Just curious? Flightbeam doesnt do this . .
Capn Mark Niebauer

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 11:06:28 am »
They are not obviously design "flaws". That's how the scenery always looked like, even in FSX, since 2010 when it was released so, it's clearly compatible with P3D4 just like it was in FSX.

Since we are not charging anything for the P3D4 installation, and the scenery is available in Trial, are suggesting we should BLOCK the scenery from installing in P3D4, preventing from using it to all those that are not bothered by this ?

- Existing users can use it in P3DV4 for free. It will looks exactly as it were in FSX and, of course, it will also enjoy the increase in available memory, so it won't OOM when used with memory hungry airplanes. So, even if the scenery still looks the same, it is a benefit being able to install it in P3D V4.

- New users can always use the Trial, like all our products and, if they are bothered by something, then can always choose not to purchase it.

Raphael

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 03:15:04 am »
Hello,

I just flew 12hrs to PHNL and my layer is above the aircraft...jajaja  At least as seen from the terminal there is a strange layer floating... it is on top of the airplane.   You can see lines of the pavement above the airplane's fuselage:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/xjMuLGO0Mxm3yJurOGKPCHChz0X6OV7sDVGSms7aZhi5JAwvWZ3iDaN35S9TJXI0UpZQRlFvOFktdry3iFPEwUq_0yhdWEP3XgSYaScy4HC5GALMJJsA4Tp0C0Bqn6b9h8pGCf_VI5D43uC5APUrBwSf1G_EUb_BkLn0oM52EmJwxVDADWusdJak3UiNJn5gratcRJIS7enruP4YMGawLcWM8khb_87lZAstCVrQmad57uPuRy5U5C3uivxptQC0FNBAA7vfhDlHWaVOv8OyXl8M8z0HtDDovMZKUo2BDYnKTiiT_YG0tb9jeXtaMuq94r6MYY7ZkniZH23lIeynz35_DKDDPGwdvObzvZKl9unk_oZy13tGk1ewOa5Gz_qRFVbwQPrOcJA8g_9H_M4zx5uZnKcKW1bOhsedkzuDQghKd5adGi0wBav6J1jcT8FuiPQoEKrlNmzbqzJZtFQfHa_mwARqda7psuALGLCrR64i22XbrKF_WrW31X6lISYXzPTMCdaePk3gh5cjkZD-K58GTPrLV-Yh2ezNjLBVs90onojXy2KuKzo-fkfsc5kEbdaZZCzfCQt3miFRYkp1TdKUi5dDgwEz_QCmhmg=w896-h291-no

If seen from a different angle, then you have the layer in the middle of the airplane:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pB2Rk2IldKFONu_J4yh2JU4Ib3CuNxVbIx8LEDXg1cUabsfqn5v1PhFVRJau0JHJXTqWgK8avaInb7xpczuimhEwxFnzFO4yd5boktnKBDA_2g_LrQ00q77qpeFgHUfzeVAMm1mbqkgW_ZYnpUChS9XMxgUEY5y2zhkYdJTUVImIShqbbh08wmye1k8lFT0pbOPbID3RTnzrt7f-OIhxd7PPcEGQL4O90AL5m6M60OhP7rDCSkT88P6yzhttavfPX8zmXzjeO5Yqj0iD3WPx6SHMtJcIlwt8070oRaHDCAFLyqn5Fc-P9cmXiX9DaSp4dOF1AtCq1Q2_UEmiP-SlF7LuWlJ1rXOM173R6O48sWv8n9gLApKd651KiQADzoMJKJPCsaWSEdUHCJkyj5CHBODxcXXIMPfnIcCsgokvNbe2NYQnRvBXiBXEU700mvY0JNfW2MV-DmuFrFINBWq-kYx93kHa-L5_lpdVKQrPok79FldX0cdN6CF-ZxAwJHRqip6JbS6T8dl6BI10jZptWqsefztu0nGcOj6zrM3_GXBKz3wfr_e6vhjO_PbR-m99GQVbgLyEdI8gJ9Udzr5K-bUMeUBHLruT_bk_DfE=w897-h262-no

Is this the same as discussed here?   So it will be updated?   or something is wrong in my installation?   I dont have the layer problem at taxiways, runways and or any other part of the airport.

Thanks for support
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:23:34 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 11:30:50 am »
Is this the same as discussed here?   So it will be updated?   or something is wrong in my installation?   I dont have the layer problem at taxiways, runways and or any other part of the airport.

Of course it's not. The issue discussed here it's a layer separated by a few centimeters only so, it's hardly visible and it's like most of our other sceneries. It's surely not raised several meters, so it would be on top of the airplane. See the attached screenshot to see of the scenery is supposed to look like.

Maybe it's the *same* object but, since it's in the wrong position, I can only guess it's caused by another scenery that plays with elevation data or something similar and, usually, all these problems are always related in some way to OrbX and their AEC too, that still hasn't been updated to support sceneries installed in the proper P3D4 way (using the add-on.xml) so, possibly, it cannot detect the scenery to fix the problems the OrbX files cause to airports when they are installed, which requires the AEC tool to being with.

If you have such OrbX product, run the AEC tool and by sure PHNL is enabled.

Raphael

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 09:15:04 pm »
Yep, that was the problem, i ran the AEC and solved. 

Still see the tires a few inches sunken, but i guess itll be fixed on PHNL 2018 release   ::)

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 04:38:37 pm »
Yep, that was the problem, i ran the AEC and solved. 

I was quite sure of this. Whenever you have large elevation problems on an airport, you can be sure OrbX is involved, 99% of the cases...

Still see the tires a few inches sunken, but i guess itll be fixed on PHNL 2018 release 

There are sceneries which are far newer than PHNL, which are also advertised as fully compliant with it, which use exactly the same method, and show the same issue. See the attached screenshot from FlyTampa EHAM, which has been released in 2016, 6 years after PHNL, and updated for P3D4 in 2017.