Author Topic: fsxstart up after install problem  (Read 9350 times)

jameshughes777

fsxstart up after install problem
« on: August 19, 2014, 08:51:22 pm »
could someone help.  after I installed gsx, and started fsx,  there wasn't any requests to run the moduels.  in my addon mamager my gsx is active, but when I click clrt shift f12 the banner doesn't appear like it used to.  any ideas out there what I may missed or done wrong?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: fsxstart up after install problem
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:47:16 am »
You say you have GSX active in the Addon Manager, but do you also have the GSX menus under the "Couatl powered products" menu ? Both must be there in order to have GSX working.

jameshughes777

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 12:45:12 pm »
yes I have both I have tried remapping the keys and that didn't work either.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 01:54:20 pm »
As I've said: do you have all the GSX menus under the Couatl menu ? If yes, and you can open them, it means GSX it's working, it's just that another add-on is probably causing a key conflict with it, and you remapped with a key that is not available.

skytrain2

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 11:17:26 am »
I have the same problem. I had GSX working on the computer with P3D 2.2. Other frustrations let me to uninstall P3D and re install FSX. I uninstalled everything including GSX. I tried reinstalling and even re-downloading the install package and every time I try to start FSX I get the following error and have to disable GSX. During all reinstallations it has not asked for the key. I even tried a registry clean-up -no luck.

Seetella Makhetha

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 02:10:02 pm »
every time I try to start FSX I get the following error

Your screenshot shows you are using an outdated version of the Addon Manager. It's not possible to get an outdated version by mistake, because the installer downloads the latest version automatically when it starts so, either of these is happening:

1) Your antivirus is blocking the download of the current version, so you must disable it when installing

OR

2) You are trying to manually replace the current version with the outdated version for some reason, and this obviously won't work and will cause that error.

skytrain2

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 10:03:00 pm »
I downloaded the GSX setup today at 19:50 South African time. I uninstalled the old scenery again. I disabled the firewall completely. I manually deleted anything from the computer that was either GSX, FSDT or Virtuali. I reinstalled the software. I got exactly the same result. I then uninstalled cleaned up installed then excluded fro antivirus scan. did not launch the antivirus. still same result with same version displayed.

The same version originally worked with the P3d on the same computer without problems. Problem started after I uninstalled P3D. I had an older version but because I wanted one with P3D 2.3 support I purchased again.      Last week. But I have downloaded several times. Why is it not even asking me for the key to validate the installation?

Seetella Makhetha

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 10:09:59 pm »
I downloaded the GSX setup today at 19:50 South African time.

Fact is, you HAVE an old version of the Addon Manager .DLL, and the current one is online since August 12th and, since the installer downloads it, even if your installer was older, you should have got the current version in any case.

I uninstalled the old scenery again. I disabled the firewall completely. I manually deleted anything from the computer that was either GSX, FSDT or Virtuali. I reinstalled the software. I got exactly the same result. I then uninstalled cleaned up installed then excluded fro antivirus scan. did not launch the antivirus. still same result with same version displayed.

Again, the previous version that it's shown on your screenshot, is not available anywhere so, the only possible reasons why you would have ended up with it, is that either you replaced it manually OR your antivirus is STILL blocking the download, so you are stuck with the previous version.

It's NOT enough to just configure the antivirus to exclude files in the FSX folder from scanning, you must also disabled it entirely when installing.

The current version of the Addon Manager is 2.9.0.24, dates August 12th 2014, and it's the only version available now.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:12:43 pm by virtuali »

skytrain2

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 10:38:32 pm »
I have the same version that you are referring to!  2, 9, 0, 24. Tha is what it says on the error message (attached again) Still no luck. I actually uninstalled the antivirus and disabled the windows protection still no change. I tried to run it even before reinstalling the antivirus!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 11:31:59 pm »
I have the same version that you are referring to!  2, 9, 0, 24. Tha is what it says on the error message (attached again)

This is that it says NOW. I obviously based my comments on your INITIAL screenshot, which clearly indicated 2.9.0.23...

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,8334.0.html

The problem was caused by another add-on that ran into Compatibility mode, can't say if it will work for you, but in general, anything that uses Compatibility mode, either FSX itself or an add-on that starts with it, will cause problems.

skytrain2

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 02:00:53 pm »
I have reached my wits end. I have tried over the days since my last post here everything I can think of.  Some observations may help. In my previous installations of the add-on manager, it created a Virtuali (Coatl Powered Products Menu) in the main windows menu which I could click on to open the add-on manager even without FSX running. Then it could show me which FSDT sceneries I had installed and it showed GSX as installed. Now after all installations that does not happen there is no Coatl Powered Products  menu in the Windows menu. I navigate to the Fsdreamteam directory and click on Coatl.exe. Nothing happens. Task manager shows the program as open but nothing happens. Without the add-on manager operating, I try to install GSX. It says it installed well and did all it is supposed to do but when I launch FSX I get the same problem with the error. I have tried cleaning the registry, I have tried uninstalling, I have tried everything I can think of. I do not understand why the add-on manager will not work even when FSX is not running as there is no interference from any bad settings in FSX at that stage. I have FSX service pack 2 and as I said before, the whole thing worked very well with P3D on the same computer and it is after I removed P3D because of other problems that the issues started. I have uninstalled P3D from the computer and physically removed all the registry entries with P3D. Please help, I am so used to GSX that the whole simulator has lost appeal without GSX and I have just invested in a $2800.00 computer to enjoy FSX without any hitches. I even bought a new licence for GSX although I had the old one so that there are no conflicts with my old computer identification. this is more frustration when it does not work. Please help
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 03:09:51 pm by skytrain2 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 03:43:01 pm »
In my previous installations of the add-on manager, it created a Virtuali (Coatl Powered Products Menu) in the main windows menu which I could click on to open the add-on manager even without FSX running. Then it could show me which FSDT sceneries I had installed and it showed GSX as installed

Not possible that this could ever happened. You are describing the Addon Manager here, and that's is an FSX .DLL module, the only way it could possibly run, it's after starting FSX, and it's displayed under the "Addons" menu. No chance you could run it without FSX running.

Now after all installations that does not happen there is no Coatl Powered Products  menu in the Windows menu

The "Couatl powered products" is another menu, and it's ALSO an FSX module, with its own menu under the "Addons" menu. It never created a Windows menu, assuming that with "Windows menu", you mean a Program group accessible from the Windows Start menu, and it's not supposed to create one.

A GSX program group will be created instead, with the only icon linking to the documentation.

. I navigate to the Fsdreamteam directory and click on Coatl.exe. Nothing happens. Task manager shows the program as open but nothing happens.

Nothing is supposed to be happening. The Couatl.exe is an FSX add-on, that works only from FSX, so this is just normal. Nowhere is said you have to start it manually, of course.

Without the add-on manager operating

Since, according to your own report, you were expecting the Addon Manager would start even without FSX, which is not obviously the case, I'm not sure if you are reliably reporting that the Addon Manager is REALLY "not operating", considering you were looking for it in the wrong place.

I try to install GSX. It says it installed well and did all it is supposed to do but when I launch FSX I get the same problem with the error.

That's main point. All your previous descriptions were entirely irrelevant, in addition to being inaccurate. So, let's try to understand why this is happening.

I do not understand why the add-on manager will not work even when FSX is not running as there is no interference from any bad settings in FSX at that stage

The Addon Manager works ONLY with FSX running. You are being confused by believing that, for some reason, it could run outside of it, but this is not the case, and it never was.

I have FSX service pack 2 and as I said before, the whole thing worked very well with P3D on the same computer and it is after I removed P3D because of other problems that the issues started. I have uninstalled P3D from the computer and physically removed all the registry entries with P3D.

Now this starts to give some clues.

That it worked under P3D with no problems, should clear enough proof the program itself doesn't have any issues.

That problems started after you uninstalled P3D, seems to indicate that the uninstall process has changed/removed some standard libraries in your Windows install that the program requires to run.

Have a look at THIS thread, which indicates several solutions to try:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,7545.msg62899.html#msg62899

I even bought a new licence for GSX although I had the old one so that there are no conflicts with my old computer identification. this is more frustration when it does not work.

Nobody told you to do this, and of course nothing about this has any relationship with your license. We can refund your double purchase, even if it was your own decision to do the wrong thing, that nobody here suggested to do. Contact me in private for this.

skytrain2

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 06:02:50 pm »
Sir I am probably confused and frustrated. Please note that I am not complaining about buying the second licence and please note that I am so happy with the program (when it works) that I really took the decision on my own and I have no problem with the fact that I bought another licence. I am still convinced this is the best FSX addon ever. I am also by now confused about what happened and what did not happen. Please forgive me and do not get angry with me. Obviously I cannot have the add-on manager on fsx  Addon menu as it crashes at the beginning and I have to disable it to start fsx. As for your suggestion I have already done part one of the suggested solution several times. I will try part two and contact you latter. I know this is not part of your support programme but I wish I could privately give you my Team Viewer credentials and let you see what is going on here. Once again please forgive my confusion and let us work on getting this resolved.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 06:13:57 pm »
As for your suggestion I have already done part one of the suggested solution several times. I will try part two and contact you latter.

Please, try everything in that page, especially the parts related to the VC++ libraries. Also, be sure you reboot Windows between each try, especially when you update such libraries.

Another possible solution, could be trying a "REPAIR" option of the FSX installation, or the FSX SP2 installation. Those options are available if you launch the original FSX installer DVD, or the SP2 installer. Choosing a repair option won't affect your installed add-ons, it will just try to put back missing system files that might have been removed or corrupted.

skytrain2

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 08:53:01 pm »
I have done everything as per the suggested procedure. The uninstallation, switching the anti virus off, configuring it to exclude the files, then removing the VCC2005 files, reinstalling them, updating windows, checking the trust function. The only thing I could not do is delete the simconnect files as whatever I did the permission was denied. I uninstalled and reinstalled FSX SP2. I did everything including those that I had done before. It unfortunately still does not work. Is completely uninstalling and reinstalling FSX likely to make difference?