Author Topic: Basically help with F/A-18 cockpit  (Read 9595 times)

ryanbatcund

Basically help with F/A-18 cockpit
« on: October 27, 2007, 02:55:09 am »
I would like to know how to use the VOR/ILS/TACAN/autopilot etc in the F18

I know how to use the COMM freqs, and basically the ILS freqs change to a TCN ChX for the ils, and I know how to display the CDI needle, but how to set course.....

Thanks for any help!   ???

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Basically help with F/A-18 cockpit
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 03:05:31 am »
First tip:

VOR and ILS frequencies can be entered as you please, either as Tacan channels, or as a standard frequencies. The radio is smart enough to figure out your intentions, and can even use shortcuts.

For example: to set an ILS at 108.90, you can set it as a Tacan channel 26, by entering ILS mode, dialing 2-6-ENTER on the keypad, and keep the UFC window indicator to have the X showing the : symbol. That's you probably already figured it out.

To tune by frequency, just dial 1-0-8-9-0-ENTER, it will automatically translated into a Tacan channel if recognized.

To set course, just use the CRS switch close to the Fuel indicator. It can be scrolled with the mouse wheel. To check the actual CRS, check the HSI page on the MFD display: there's a small CRS readout that indicates the selected course.

Note: there's only one VHF radio on the F/A-18, so you either use it for a VOR or for ILS. There's no OBS2.

The Autopilot is a little bit more complex, I'll try to prepare a reply tomorrow (it's 3 AM now in Italy...), starting some discussion on the Autopilot.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 03:07:13 am by virtuali »

ryanbatcund

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 04:56:23 am »
Thank you sir, fantastic panel/gauges!  I really like the little details, such as the contrast on the right MFD....excellent addition!  I'm following the thread I started at avsim too....guys are figuring out stuff as we go  ;D

slydon

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 11:38:56 am »
At the left side of the cockpit there is a tall lever (wrapped yellow and black)  Nothing happens when I put the pointer on it.  What is it for?

Don

BlakTiger47

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 08:15:41 pm »
Its the canopy jettison lever for ejection. Since you can't eject it doesn't work so thats why your pointer doesnt do anything when u hover over it.
"Get It Up, Get It On, Get It Down"
-Blue Angels
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Light the Fire