Author Topic: Blurry Ground Textures  (Read 24039 times)

Gazer75

Re: Blurry Ground Textures
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 03:36:59 am »
I think we are misunderstanding each other here.

Are you denying that the two pictures are showing the area covered by two bitmaps with the same pixel count?
The picture of the concrete is only 512x512 because I could not zoom in more in overhead without textures disappearing.

Your coverage example is not fitting because, it assumes that the scenery was made with single textures covering different area sizes.
Of course it is...sort of...
The file JFK_det_02.bmp is a bitmap made to show concrete and is used where that is displayed on top of the photoreal bitmaps. Its 1024x1024 pixels and used in a repeat pattern, and its replacing 90% of the photoreal bitmaps at the locations its used by use of alpha. At the same time the big photo bitmaps (JFK_Txx.bmp) are also 1024x1024 pixels, and covers everything with JFK_det_01.bmp on top of taxiways and runways to try and help with the fact that its photo and get blurred up close.

If you had made a file similar to JFK_det_02.bmp for the asphalt covering runways and taxiways the whole thing would have looked a lot better. Problem then is that you will have a hard time showing all the patching of asphalt over the years.

Picture below is same location as my first image, but this time I made a black alpha in the JFK_det_02.bmp file so it doesn't show.
Think I am actually going to keep it this way as now I get the subtle difference in concrete surfaces around the aprons, and not the repeating pattern of JFK_det_02.bmp

I could probably do the same to the det_01 file too and it wouldn't make much difference to taxiways and runways. The fact remains that the photoreal background is going to look blurry up close because of the area each bitmap covers. I'm guessing around 2-3 pixels per meter by looking at the taxiways in the bitmaps and knowing how wide they are at jfk.
I am actually impressed at how clear it is all things considered :)

Not going to debate this any more tbh. I feel I have made my point very clear and I'll let others who read this judge for themselves.

The scenery is the best there is for JFK, and pretty much impossible to improve without killing 99% of users graphics cards.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 10:30:18 pm »
The file JFK_det_02.bmp is a bitmap made to show concrete and is used where that is displayed on top of the photoreal bitmaps. Its 1024x1024 pixels and used in a repeat pattern, and its replacing 90% of the photoreal bitmaps at the locations its used by use of alpha. At the same time the big photo bitmaps (JFK_Txx.bmp) are also 1024x1024 pixels, and covers everything with JFK_det_01.bmp on top of taxiways and runways to try and help with the fact that its photo and get blurred up close.

That exactly what I've said.

What you are keep missing the point, is that NONE of this is relevant to the issue YOU posted in the screenshots.

The issue you posted in the screenshot, as to prove a point that parts of the ground are blurred and parts are not, it's NOT due to this, because you are showing a place were concrete meets asphalt, and the asphalt looks AS IF was blurred, when it's not.

And, as I've said several times already, asphalt and concrete are made with the SAME method, resolution, and meters/pixel ratio. The ONLY difference, is the detail texture used. Period.

Had you showed an area were concrete met GRASS, instead, then you would have been correct because, in that case, grass doesn't not have any detail on top of it, so it is expected that it would look blurred.

If you had made a file similar to JFK_det_02.bmp for the asphalt covering runways and taxiways the whole thing would have looked a lot better. Problem then is that you will have a hard time showing all the patching of asphalt over the years.

That EXACTLY what I've said, and it's exactly what I DID, with the replacement texture I've posted, which replaces  JFK_det_01.bmp, that is used as a detail for the asphalt.

So,  said, it's NOT a matter of "covering different areas with textures at different scales" the issue, it's HOW is made the detail for the asphalt.

I could probably do the same to the det_01 file too and it wouldn't make much difference to taxiways and runways.

Why you don't simply try the det_01 I have posted ?

The fact remains that the photoreal background is going to look blurry up close because of the area each bitmap covers

No, if you are refering to what you showed in your screenshot, that had two areas made exactly in the SAME way: low res photoreal background + detail for concrete AND the SAME low res photoreal background + a DIFFERENT detail (at the SAME res, though) for asphalt.

The scenery is the best there is for JFK, and pretty much impossible to improve without killing 99% of users graphics cards.

No true. As I've said, it was just a matter of improving the asphalt detail texture and make it stand a little bit more, which is exactly what I've did, and the results clearly show this. This is the same scenery, with JUST the JFK_det_01.bmp replaced, with the same file I've posted before:

JUST by replacing the detail texture (which is what I was saying all along), the transition between concrete and asphalt  now appears to have the same resolution, and asphalt doesn't look blurred anymore.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:33:41 pm by virtuali »

perryfincher

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 02:50:40 am »
Forgive me if this has been addressed before, but when I go to land at JFK and as I approach the runway and then taxi to the gate,
I get blurred texture.
When I depart JFK, I don't get any blurred textures on the taxiway or runways.
Could this have anything with my video card or am I missing something?

Perry Fincher
Trans World Virtual Airlines

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 10:36:48 am »
Forgive me if this has been addressed before, but when I go to land at JFK and as I approach the runway and then taxi to the gate, I get blurred texture.When I depart JFK, I don't get any blurred textures on the taxiway or runways

I think this is related to the fact that, after a flight, the available memory becomes fragmented, so it takes more time to recover it, and FS9 has an hardcoded value of how much time it dedicates to the texture loading vs the rest of the simulation and, since the textures loading process in FS9 doesn't use more than 1 core, this can be a problem if lots of textures are called for. And any texture count to reach that limit, not just the airport, but also the surrounding scenery, the airplane your are flying and the AI.

You might try to confirm this if, after landing, you put the sim in Slew more or Pause, and wait some time, the textures will usually fix themselves.

It's possible that, by using the texture resizer available on this section, you might improve the situation, because the airport textures will then take 4x less memory.

perryfincher

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 08:44:15 pm »
Thanks Virtuali.

I will give that a try.
Perry Fincher
Trans World Virtual Airlines