Author Topic: Do I really need FS 9.1 for KJFK?  (Read 4986 times)

gwillmot

Do I really need FS 9.1 for KJFK?
« on: August 19, 2009, 01:12:18 pm »
Dummy question........

Can I purchase and get KJFK to run on FS 9.0?  I tried to install the trial version and it told me I didn't have FS 9.1.  I don't and I don't intend to upgrade.  All of my other addons (aircraft and scenery) do not require it so I am not going through the trouble (if it ain't broken, don't fix it).

What does KJFK include that necessitates FS 9.1?  I'm confused.

gwillmot

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Do I really need FS 9.1 for KJFK?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 01:29:25 pm »
Yes, you do need FS9.1 installed, there's no way around this, because the scenery needs some things to be at specific locations in memory, which are different from 9.0 and 9.1 so, under 9.0 it would just crash, if we allowed an installation without the upgrade installed.

Also, 9.0 is less stable than 9.1, especially when dealing with terrain, that leads to CTD due to memory leaks more easily than 9.1 but, since users that buy payware, always complain with the 3rd party developer for a CTD, not wanting to taking into account the sim itself might be bugged, we don't support 9.0 in order not to have to deal with such issues.

It's wrong insisting to use 9.0 because, there are no reasons whatsoever not to update to 9.1, mainly because of stability. Installing 9.1 DOES NOT require to reinstall any addon, and it's usually painless, of course if you are updating it over a 9.0 ORIGINAL FS9.EXE file (meaning, no nocd patch and no FS9.EXE patched >2GB). You can always patch your 9.1 FS9.EXE AFTER you install the update, if you need to.

And, it's not true that no other addons requires 9.1 installed. The PMDG MD-11, for example, requires it, Traffic 2005 from Justflight requires it, but there might be others as well.

And note that, we don't check the FS9.EXE version to see if you have 9.1 installed, we check G3D.DLL only.

Which means, if you have specific reasons for not wanting to install the update, with the most prominent one being having access to a 9.0 nocd crack but not the 9.1 one, you can still apply the update and, if you really want to use a 9.0 crack (which is not a good idea anyway, because mixing 2 versions might be even worse for stability that not applying the update at all), it will work with our installers, because they don't care which FS9.EXE you have.

They used to check the FS9.EXE, but the current version checks only G3D.DLL, because we found many users messed up their FS9 install by mixing the whole set of .DLL from 9.1, with the cracked FS9.EXE from 9.0 so, we no longer check the .EXE
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:33:16 pm by virtuali »

gwillmot

Re: Do I really need FS 9.1 for KJFK?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 02:21:29 am »
Thank you very much for responding with this most informative and detailed explanation.  It is certainly one of the most complete answers to any question that I have asked on any forum.  Thank you very much again.

Unfortunately I tried once to upgrade to 9.1 and it bombed.....modified files, etc......who knows.  I decided then that I would not go through all the effort to track down the problem when all that I had worked just fine.  I guess this means that I will not be able to use your excellent scenery.

Have a great day.
gwillmot
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:05:41 pm by virtuali »