Author Topic: Pause On Approach  (Read 5775 times)

robase123

Pause On Approach
« on: July 21, 2014, 12:51:21 am »
Hi. I have a question. My sim pauses for about 18 seconds about 11 miles from KIAH in order to load the scenery so is this normal or not? Thanks

anappy

Re: Pause On Approach
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:14:45 am »
That's normal that is the point at which the scenery loads.

Hnla

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 04:21:15 am »
That's normal that is the point at which the scenery loads.

18 seconds isn't normal though. It could be due to not very fast hardware, or settings too high. (Traffic).

My sim never pauses for longer than 5 seconds.

robase123

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 06:13:38 am »
Ok Thanks I'll try a few settings to test

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 02:20:24 pm »
My sim never pauses for longer than 5 seconds.

That isn't normal, either.  Even way back when I was running Windows XP on a core2 duo processor, FSX never paused to load scenery.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

Hnla

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 03:35:45 pm »
That isn't normal, either.  Even way back when I was running Windows XP on a core2 duo processor, FSX never paused to load scenery.

I'm not saying my sim always pauses for 5 seconds, it depends on what settings I am using.

And, Umberto has said it's normal for a slight pause for the scenery to load.

You probably never got pauses "way back", because you were running FS9 with half the polygons and scenery complexity with an old scenery.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 05:00:47 pm »
A pause is normal, only once, when entering the scenery loading range, which is exactly 11 NM. A 18 seconds pause is not normal, unless your PC is extremely overloaded and/or your settings are unreasonably high and/or your remaining memory is all taken by other memory-hungry addons.

Having the scenery loading under our control, thus having a loading pause, is a way to save memory, because this way you are guaranteed that no memory for our scenery is used when your are far from it, while normally FSX is known to allocate memory for sceneries that are far away.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 05:47:01 pm »
...because you were running FS9...

Does the line you quoted say anything about using FS9?  And even if a pause is normal, I never noticed any.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

Hnla

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 08:25:23 pm »
Does the line you quoted say anything about using FS9?  And even if a pause is normal, I never noticed any.

Probably even "Way Back", which you said here:

Even way back when I was running Windows XP on a core2 duo processor

Was the early days of FSX, when scenery was probably ported from FS9, so it's quite obvious why you didn't get pauses. Now, with more advanced techniques, is why you get pauses, like Umberto said.