Author Topic: GSX does not start together with FSX **SOLVED**  (Read 14533 times)

kauzi

GSX does not start together with FSX **SOLVED**
« on: July 21, 2014, 08:20:14 pm »
Hi FSDT Team,

I want to try out GSX and downloaded the current Version from your website. When I did the first install, a Explorer windows popped up and asked me to point to the FSX folder, i.e. the GSX installer could not find the FSX folder by itself. Btw: My FSX is installed on drive D and till now no other Addon had problems in finding the correct FSX location.

After that the installation process worked w/o problems. I started FSX but no message like "do you trust this addon" appeared. FSX itself started w/o problems. I loaded a flight but no GSX appeared in the Addon menu and ctrl-f12 didnt do anything. After that I did a complete unistall followed by a new install of GSX, the antivir was deactivated. Now the installer didn't ask for the FSX location, but when I start FSX I cant see GSX. Btw: the couatl.exe does not appear in the task manager whe FSX runs.

What do i wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Michael
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 01:44:10 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX does not start together with FSX
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:42:46 pm »
When I did the first install, a Explorer windows popped up and asked me to point to the FSX folder, i.e. the GSX installer could not find the FSX folder by itself

This because you had your registry key entry for FSX wrong or pointing to the wrong folder.

My FSX is installed on drive D and till now no other Addon had problems in finding the correct FSX location.

There might be two different registry keys for FSX, one under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key, and one under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key. The proper key that should be used by a proper installer that conforms to MS UAC (Windows Vista and above) directives, is the key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and our installers use that one.

Other installers, made following Windows XP rules, might use the old keys and, if the correct new key on your system is wrong, but the legacy one is right, an installer using the legacy key might find FSX in that case, so you can be mislead thinking it's all fine with your install ( it isn't ) and there must be a problem with the installer ( there isn't )

After that the installation process worked w/o problems.

Of course. As you might have noticed, our installer proposed to *browse* the FSX folder for the correct path, once it found that your proper (non-legacy) registry key was missing so, after browsing for it, it FIXED IT for you, so now your two registry keys should be finally in agreement.

I started FSX but no message like "do you trust this addon" appeared

You don't say *which* addon. There are two modules you must trust, Addon Manager and Couatl.

After that I did a complete unistall followed by a new install of GSX, the antivir was deactivated. Now the installer didn't ask for the FSX location, but when I start FSX I cant see GSX. Btw: the couatl.exe does not appear in the task manager whe FSX runs.  What do i wrong?

If you did just that, you haven't followed the correct procedure to the letter:

- Go into Control Panel, Uninstall GSX and reply YES to the questions "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Couatl script engine ?"

- TURN YOUR ANTIVIRUS OFF.

With the antivirus still disabled, reinstall  GSX

- BEFORE launching FSX, configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe

- Now you can turn your Antivirus on, and launch FSX

- Note if FSX asks permission to run the Addon Manager and the Couatl programs, reply YES to both

- When FSX loads, check if you have BOTH the "Addon Manager" and the "Couatl powered products" under the "Addons" menu.

If still doesn't work, be sure you are NOT running FSX into any of the "Compatibility" modes under Vista/Win7 ( right-click on FSX.EXE, select "Properties", select "Compatibility" and be sure NOTHING is enabled in that page)

If still doesn't work, maybe you also have inadvertently Un-trusted us as a Publisher, so nothing signed by us will run.

To fix this, go to the Control Panel, under "Internet Options", look for the "Content" tab, there should be a "Publishers" button, that will list the software publishers that you trusted, and another tab with untrusted publishers. If you see "Virtuali s.a.s", remove it from both tabs (especially if it's under untrusted)

kauzi

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 07:05:58 pm »
Hi virtuali,

thanks for your fast reply.

Of course. As you might have noticed, our installer proposed to *browse* the FSX folder for the correct path, once it found that your proper (non-legacy) registry key was missing so, after browsing for it, it FIXED IT for you, so now your two registry keys should be finally in agreement.

OK, seems that the registry keys are correct now.

You don't say *which* addon. There are two modules you must trust, Addon Manager and Couatl.

None of both modules shows a trust message...there is completely no message.

If you did just that, you haven't followed the correct procedure to the letter:

- Go into Control Panel, Uninstall GSX and reply YES to the questions "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Couatl script engine ?"

Done.
- TURN YOUR ANTIVIRUS OFF.

Done.

With the antivirus still disabled, reinstall  GSX

- BEFORE launching FSX, configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe

Done. Btw.: I'm using Windows 8.1 and the integrated Windows Defender as antivir tool.

- Now you can turn your Antivirus on, and launch FSX

- Note if FSX asks permission to run the Addon Manager and the Couatl programs, reply YES to both

There is still no message, neither for AddonManager, nor for Couatl.

- When FSX loads, check if you have BOTH the "Addon Manager" and the "Couatl powered products" under the "Addons" menu.

Both tools don't show up in the Addnon menu.

If still doesn't work, be sure you are NOT running FSX into any of the "Compatibility" modes under Vista/Win7 ( right-click on FSX.EXE, select "Properties", select "Compatibility" and be sure NOTHING is enabled in that page)

Checked. Compatibility mode is OFF.

If still doesn't work, maybe you also have inadvertently Un-trusted us as a Publisher, so nothing signed by us will run.

To fix this, go to the Control Panel, under "Internet Options", look for the "Content" tab, there should be a "Publishers" button, that will list the software publishers that you trusted, and another tab with untrusted publishers. If you see "Virtuali s.a.s", remove it from both tabs (especially if it's under untrusted)

Checked. Virtuali is not listen under "untrusted publishers"

Unfortunately GSX still doesn't work. Are there any other things I can try to get GSX running? Is maybe Windows 8.1 the problem?

Thanks,
Michael

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 11:59:17 pm »
Unfortunately GSX still doesn't work. Are there any other things I can try to get GSX running? Is maybe Windows 8.1 the problem?

We don't officially support it, in fact you'll see the only supported OS are XP, Vista and Windows 7. However, many users use GSX under Windows 8 successfully.

Assuming it's not the antivirus, you can activate the Simconnect diagnostic mode to see what's wrong with your install:

Open notepad, and copy the following text:

Code: [Select]
[SimConnect]
level=normal
console=1
RedirectStdOutToConsole=1
OutputDebugString=1
; file=c:\simconnect%03u.log
; file_next_index=0
; file_max_index=9

Save the file as SIMCONNECT.INI in this folder:

Documents And Settings\YOUR LOGIN NAME\Documents\Microsoft Flight Simulator X Files

At the next FSX launch, you should see a text window with diagnostic message, that should tell what's going wrong. Let me know what you are getting, so we can have an idea what's happening.

Only the first few lines are important: if the window scrolls too fast, you can use the "Pause" key on the keyboard to pause the scrolling. Post here only the first 10 lines or so of the diagnostic, but it's important you post the first 10-15 lines.

kauzi

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 06:55:11 pm »
Hi virtuali,

here the diagnostic message:

0.00000 SimConnect version 10.0.61259.0

0.15313 Exe Launched:  Path="C:\Program Files (x86)\Saitek\Pro Flight Panels\Sai
Panels.exe"  CommandLine="-run"  Version="1.0.0.1"
0.15782 Exe Launched:  Path="D:\Spiele\FSX\Modules\FSXSave\FSXSave.exe"  Command
Line=""  Version="1.0.4.0"
0.16446 Exe Launched:  Path="C:\Program Files (x86)\drubware.net\FS Cabin Crew\f
scabincrewmodule.exe"  CommandLine=""  Version="1.2.0.0"
0.25255 DLL Loaded:  Path="Modules\A2A_Feel.dll"  Version="<Unbekannt>"
0.25611 DLL Loaded:  Path="Modules\AccuFeelMenu.dll"  Version="0.2.0.0"
1.90174 DLL Loaded:  Path="Modules\FSUIPC4.dll"  Version="4.9.0.0"

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Michael

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 11:28:00 pm »
You haven't included enough lines, so I can't say if the modules are being loaded and report some kind of error, or if FSX is not even *trying* to start them.

Either post more lines, or check yourself if you see the lines referring to bglmanx and couatl in the initial page of log window.

If you see them, with some kind of error message, then post it.

If you don't see anything, then it's the antivirus, almost certainly, because it's preventing FSX from even *trying* to start the modules.

kauzi

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 09:32:59 am »
Hi,

thanks for the further help. The bglmanx and couatl and don't appear in the cmdl ouput. I also checked the dll.xml of FSX: There are no entries regarding bglmanx or couatl..only that ones that are also listed in the simconnect output. Is it necessary that bglmanx and couatl are listed in dll.xml? Maybe I have to re-check if Windows Defender really is inactive....till now I always unchecked "deactivate real time scanning"...maybe thats not enough.

Thanks,
Michael

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 10:16:48 am »
I also checked the dll.xml of FSX: There are no entries regarding bglmanx or couatl..only that ones that are also listed in the simconnect output. Is it necessary that bglmanx and couatl are listed in dll.xml?

Yes, of course! But the line are supposed to be added automatically by the installers, and they surely do it. Are you sure you installed GSX and the installation completed without errors ?

kauzi

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 01:35:37 pm »
Are you sure you installed GSX and the installation completed without errors ?

I think so. The installer showed no kind of error message. In my FSX folder a fsdreateam folder including couatl.exe etc. was created...that looks correct. Should I try to manually add the missing enties into the dll.xml? Could you pssibly provide a correct dll.xml as a template?

Thanks,
Michael

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 02:31:02 pm »
Could you possibly provide a correct dll.xml as a template?

It's possible that, if your XML files hasn't been updated, you might still have a problem with your registry entries and/or the XML files themselves, but it's also very strange you haven't been advised of this, because the installers will always check them using the standard XML validation routine from Microsoft.

What happens if you open them with Internet Explorer ? That's a quick way to be sure they are not corrupted.

And, are you sure you are looking at the correct set of files ? Do you use P3D and FSX on the same system ?

kauzi

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 07:04:17 pm »
I only have FSX installed, no P3D.

I also opened the dll.xml in Internet Explorer: No warnings or any other message.

Are there any registry keys I should check? Please find below the conten of my dll.xml, located in C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
<Name>Saitek Panel(s) Plugin for FSX</Name>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Saitek\Pro Flight Panels\SaiPanels.exe</Path>
<CommandLine>-run</CommandLine>
</Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Name>FSXSave</Name>
<Path>D:\Spiele\FSX\Modules\FSXSave\FSXSave.exe</Path>
<CommandLine/>
<NewConsole>True</NewConsole>
</Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
<Name>fs cabin crew module for FSX</Name>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\drubware.net\FS Cabin Crew\fscabincrewmodule.exe</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
<Name>A2A Feel</Name>
<Path>Modules\A2A_Feel.dll</Path>
<DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
<DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>
</Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
<Name>AccuFeelMenu</Name>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Path>Modules\AccuFeelMenu.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>
        <Path>Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

kauzi

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 08:44:31 pm »
I found an alternative way to deactivate Windows Defender. Did a complete Uninstall and Install process with definitively deactivated AntiVir. Unforunately without success, GSX dos not start up. Anything else I can try?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 08:35:57 am »
Unforunately without success, GSX dos not start up. Anything else I can try?

It will never start, if the XML files are not updated. Yes, of course you could add those lines manually, but the issue is, they MUST be added automatically by the installers, if they aren't, either the files are corrupted (but you should have seen a warning about this) or there's something more serious going on with your system, so it must be fixed.

Could you send your EXE.XML and DLL.XML ZIPPED as an Attachement, so I can check them ?

kauzi

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 12:02:10 am »
Please find attached my exe.xml and dll.xml in a zip file.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 12:10:57 am »
your files are correct from an XML point of view, but they are surely wrong from an FSX point of view. They are basically IDENTICAL, except there's FSUIPC in the DLL.XML file.

You have many executable modules in the DLL.XML, and you have a copy of them in the EXE.XML. .EXE files should be only called in the EXE.XML, the DLL.XML file can only be used to load DLLs (as their name says...)

Try to remove the DLL.XML file, and reinstall GSX, then reinstall FSUIPC to add it back.