Author Topic: OOM on approach  (Read 16967 times)

p3dx3

Re: OOM on approach
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 11:59:14 am »
What happens if you also use gsx to unload/load passengers and bags, do those textures stay in memory all through the flight? Or in the virtual cockpit with the exterior and interior textures loaded? Flying between 2 airports pushes me over the limit and I get instant ooms. I am so tired of chasing these problems and about to just fly default fsx with the pmdg 777
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:13:49 pm by 413x3 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 07:01:26 pm »
What happens if you also use gsx to unload/load passengers and bags, do those textures stay in memory all through the flight?

They don't, just like all other objects that gets destroyed after use under our control. And GSX objects equals roughly 3-4 AI models, so they don't really take much memory even when they are showing. On top of that, GSX takes ZERO memory from FSX for its own *code*, because it runs externally under the Couatl.exe program, so it has its own separate VAS space.

Or in the virtual cockpit with the exterior and interior textures loaded? Flying between 2 airports pushes me over the limit and I get instant ooms.

The keyword might be "flying between 2 airports". Perhaps all the stuff you have is taking memory ALONG the flight, and that's is not reclaimed. FTX Global, for example, is loaded CONSTANTLY, not just when you are at an airport, and they don't even have any ability to manage its memory, because vector scenery and landclassess are handled entirely by FSX.

I am so tired of chasing these problems and about to just fly default fsx with the pmdg 777

That's the opposite solution: I've show you the EVIDENCE that

1) the most memory-consuming item you have is NOT the airport

AND

2) KIAH takes ONLY 150MB more than default

AND

3) the PMDG777 on a DEFAULT airport (see my test at KAUS ) takes MORE memory than the default 737 at KIAH, making your strategy of using it over a default airport not very useful. Without even counting that default KAUS is way less detailed than default KIAH.

Amd you still don't want to accept the airports are NOT the problem ? Try to switch off FTX Global, instead, and see it it makes any difference.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:06:03 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 07:07:12 pm »
Set the maxtextureload in the fsx.cfg from 4096 to 2048 or 1024 and try again.

There's no need to to through the annoying process of exiting from FSX, editing the FSX.CFG manually, and restarting FSX. The Addon Manager is able to control that settings without requiring a restart.

p3dx3

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 11:40:47 pm »
I disabled all scenery except the 2 airports I am flying to and from, will test in a long flight now. Sorry to blame your great scenery, guess it is just my sim that does not like all these addons at once.

p3dx3

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 01:13:29 pm »
2 successful flights. It is a pain to disable every other airport scenery but what I am flying to and from, then loading aes, then makerunways, then start fsx. Then restart computer. Then I can fly. But I do not get oom anymore. Sorry again for blaming your scenery!

altstiff

• My F/O is a dog
    • Visit my flightsim blog..
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 08:09:15 pm »
2 successful flights. It is a pain to disable every other airport scenery but what I am flying to and from, then loading aes, then makerunways, then start fsx. Then restart computer. Then I can fly. But I do not get oom anymore. Sorry again for blaming your scenery!

You need to download and install Scenery Config Editor (found at places like AVSIM). It is free and easy to use. With a few clicks you are off and flying (and the minute you spend click saves loading times of unused scenery while starting/loading FSX).

A lean scenery CFG is key to saving OOM errors during flights. FSX loads stuff in Africa when you are flying in Alasaka! So the lean CFG is the way to go.

shipdriver

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 01:36:34 am »

Would I be correct in assuming that you have also vigorously pressured PMDG about their aircrafts' extremely high memory usage? I don't fly any PMDG planes so I don't keep up with their forums.

In all the ruckus about OOMs at CYVR, it seemed there was always one common denominator: who made the airplane. 

MikeGallagher

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 08:32:15 am »
PMDG t7 IS A HOG ON VAS! So 1g just to load the plane! So add the FTX Global along with any other addon that uses your VAS and of course your going to get a OOM on a 2 hour flight cause FSX dosen't release VAS Properly due to it being 32bit and always will be! Even so the like they said even with everything so toned down and turned off what helped me get rid of my OOM's is this:

Go to the FSX\Autogen folder
You will find "default.xml" in there if not then you should be good.
Rename it to "default.bak" this will remove some but not all of the autogen expecially FTX barns shrubs. So if your going to fly there then just rename it back.

This has fixed 90% of my oom errors! I don't own the t7 for this exact reason. Until P3D is fully reworked and fully x64 as such xplane is, I will not buy another add-on that is VAS hungry. AND "FSDT SCENERY'S ARE NOT VAS HUNGRY EVEN FOR THE DETAIL THEY HAVE!" That is why I am in the process of buying all there Airports. Proud paid user of KIAH!

Michael G.