Author Topic: OOM on approach  (Read 16931 times)

p3dx3

OOM on approach
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:24:16 am »
CYVR had an installer allowing us to customize the textures. I am getting OOM on approach using FTX Global and the PMDG 777X.

Are there any changes I can make to stop the out of memory error?

streichholz

Re: OOM on approach
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:47:05 am »
Set the maxtextureload in the fsx.cfg from 4096 to 2048 or 1024 and try again.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 12:59:34 pm »
CYVR had an installer allowing us to customize the textures. I am getting OOM on approach using FTX Global and the PMDG 777X.

This doesn't have anything to do with CYVR, and of course it has been discussed too many times on the forum, for example here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,10024.msg78725.html#msg78725

CYVR, on top of that, has several INSTALL OPTIONS, to configure the texture sizes, clearly indicating how much memory every option will take.

p3dx3

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 09:05:02 pm »

This doesn't have anything to do with CYVR, and of course it has been discussed too many times on the forum, for example here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,10024.msg78725.html#msg78725

CYVR, on top of that, has several INSTALL OPTIONS, to configure the texture sizes, clearly indicating how much memory every option will take.

I wasn't specific, sorry. I was talking about install options for IAH, like we get with YVR. I am getting OOM with IAH on approach like I get at YVR unless I change the install options to lower resolution textures. Why does the IAH installer not give me any options to change texture resolution?

p3dx3

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 09:05:59 pm »
Set the maxtextureload in the fsx.cfg from 4096 to 2048 or 1024 and try again.

I've tried 2048 and still oom. I cannot fly the pmdg 777X with Orbx regions and fsdt airports in dx9. I have tried everything.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 10:24:46 pm »
Considered DX10? It helps alot with OOM issues and also offers more visually. I can't remember my last OOM in FSX with DX10.

p3dx3

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:56:48 pm »
Considered DX10? It helps alot with OOM issues and also offers more visually. I can't remember my last OOM in FSX with DX10.

DX10 doesn't work with all the nice airport scenery I have purchased over the years.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 11:15:54 pm »
 With the DX10 fixer (which is currently unavailable) I haven't been able to find anywhere that doesn't work with DX10. The fixer gave new life to FSX. It's never run smoother or looked as good.

Hnla

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 11:18:25 pm »
DX10 doesn't work with all the nice airport scenery I have purchased over the years.

Did you not read Umberto's response? Read it again, here are your options:

Lower your settings.

- Use DX10.

- Use 2048 or 1024 texture size.

- Don't use so many add-ons at the same time.

If you are going to come back and say something, than go, and read it again until you understand.

p3dx3

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 02:50:04 am »

Did you not read Umberto's response? Read it again, here are your options:

Lower your settings.

- Use DX10.

- Use 2048 or 1024 texture size.

- Don't use so many add-ons at the same time.

If you are going to come back and say something, than go, and read it again until you understand.

Why the hostility?

The YVR installer allows you to choose your options on ground shadows, texture resolution, ground photo.

The IAH installer does not give you any options.

I still get OOM sometimes when using the lowest settings available.

Hnla

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 05:47:36 am »
Why the hostility?

Because this has been discussed so many times on the forum on how to help with OOM's it's getting ridiculous.

The YVR installer allows you to choose your options on ground shadows, texture resolution, ground photo.

That's because CYVR was getting flooded with Users with OOM's, (Not at Fault of FSDT) but because CYVR is an area that is heavily loaded with add ons, and cloudy weather, so in response to the many users with OOM problems, he made the texture size customizable.

There's obviously no such problem with KIAH, because there aren't any popular add ons in the area, no "FTX Texas" or anything like that, so the first user to really report an OOM with KIAH is you, and it's probably because you have your settings to high.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:52:41 am by Hnla »

p3dx3

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 09:04:32 am »
Why the hostility?

Because this has been discussed so many times on the forum on how to help with OOM's it's getting ridiculous.

That's because CYVR was getting flooded with Users with OOM's, (Not at Fault of FSDT) but because CYVR is an area that is heavily loaded with add ons, and cloudy weather, so in response to the many users with OOM problems, he made the texture size customizable.

There's obviously no such problem with KIAH, because there aren't any popular add ons in the area, no "FTX Texas" or anything like that, so the first user to really report an OOM with KIAH is you, and it's probably because you have your settings to high.

512 clouds

normal autogen

no ground shadows

Is that too high?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 10:55:35 am »

KIAH doesn't have options, because it doesn't NEED them.

- It doesn't have dynamic shadows so, the texture memory used by them in comparison to CYVR install options, is equal to 0

- It has less polygons than CYVR *because* it doesn't have dynamic shadows

- It doesn't use 4096 textures.

If you have OOM at KIAH, it's because you already consumed all your memory with other memory-hungry products you are using there.

p3dx3

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 11:06:34 am »
ftx global and fsgenesis mesh.

I was flying from your KORD to KIAH. So... I have no idea how to get rid of these OOM's. I have tried everything.

Water 1x high. Lowered autogen. No ground shadows. Still OOMs on approach to any of your airports from any of your other aiports.

KLAX-CYVR. OOM on approach

KORD-KIAH OOM on approach

etc
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:09:48 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 11:53:06 am »
ftx global and fsgenesis mesh.

Both are not obviously "free" to use, memory-wise. Try to switch them off.

Water 1x high. Lowered autogen. No ground shadows. Still OOMs on approach to any of your airports from any of your other aiports.

No, you have an OOM that can happen everywhere, but you only noticed at our airports, because those are the flights you tried. You'll have it at any other airport of a comparable size.

And it's not just that, of all airports around, our will be the one suffering LESS from OOM because, since we handle scenery creation independently from FSX, we are sure that, outside the area of the airport, almost NOTHING is loaded for the airport, except very few things like the AFCAD or the low-res photoreal background, which are still handled by FSX.

Another airport scenery from any other developer ( except Flightbeam, which enjoy the same memory-saving abilities ) is in the hands of the FSX memory handling, and is very well known that FSX sometimes loads data from scenery that doesn't have much to do with the area you are flying in.

Of course, if you don't believe this, you can easily verify this. Start at KIAH, and measure your allocated memory. Slew out about 15 NM ( the scenery range for KIAH is 11 NM ) and see A LOT of memory (all the memory taken by airport) being reclaimed almost immediately.

That would PROVE you those OOMs don't have anything to do with the airports.

But you don't even have to do it yourself. I did it for you ( don't you think we already made all the memory tests before release ? ), here's the results:

First two around KIAH (over the airport and 15NM out ) show how memory is correctly reclaimed when exiting the KIAH area.

The one on a default airport in Texas ( Austin ), shows that the memory globally used by the sim on a default area, is similar to the memory used when being just outside KIAH, clearly proving that "just" have KIAH installed, doesn't affect memory at all.

The one on KLAX shows that KIAH takes way less memory than KLAX, which is impressive, considering how large KIAH is. KLAX uses 4096 textures, KIAH doesn't. My settings were with textures at 4096, of course.

The one 18NM outside KLAX ( KLAX has a 16NM loading range ) shows that KLAX also correctly reclaim memory outside its area.

The one 18NM outside KLAX with the PMDG, shows the airplane takes the same memory of the whole scenery, all by itself.

The one with the PMDG at KLAX, shows that without any other add-ons used (no 3rd party mesh or Landclass or global vectors and no AI) the memory is already at 2.3GB. Of course, as we proved with the previous screen, the situation at KIAH would be better.

The one at KIAH with UT2 AI, shows that UT2 adds another 300 MB at KIAH, compared to no AI from the 1st screen

The last two shows Austin with a default airplane with UT2 AI, and with the PMDG 777. Using the PMDG 777 with AI, on a DEFAULT airport, takes MORE memory than using a default airplane at KIAH, with traffic too!

I'd say the results speaks for themselves: KIAH is very well optimized and memory friendly so, please, just stop discussing about OOMs, as they might be "caused" by KIAH.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:03:49 pm by virtuali »