Author Topic: Jetway Gate Numbers  (Read 10793 times)

sleddriver

Jetway Gate Numbers
« on: July 05, 2014, 10:41:15 pm »
First let met say, brilliant scenery, as always.  I just have one question about the jetways.  Are the signs at the top of the jetways supposed to be blank, or are they supposed to have the gate numbers on them?  Mine are all blank.  Thanks, again for your wonderful work.  I am really enjoying flying in/out of Houston.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Jetway Gate Numbers
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 10:45:44 pm »
They don't have numbers, because it would require having many copies of the jetway object, with the number being the only difference, and that would be very bad for memory usage.

sleddriver

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 06:11:18 am »
Ah, understood!  Thank you for the reply.  ;D

ricere

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 08:52:01 am »
Hello Virtuali,
I'm having two difficulties: One, all the gates on my install have numbers, and your 'reply' to 'sleddriver' said that there should be NO numbers? Second, I'm unable to utilize the jetways. They will not work. Keyboard assignment was checked and still no luck! Got all of your sceneries! Great products!

Rich

streichholz

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 09:10:36 am »
Could you make a photo?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 03:50:59 pm »
One, all the gates on my install have numbers, and your 'reply' to 'sleddriver' said that there should be NO numbers?

The Gates usually have numbers, the Jetways don't.

Second, I'm unable to utilize the jetways. They will not work. Keyboard assignment was checked and still no luck!

They surely work. Be sure you use the correct key ( CTRL+J, by default ) and be sure you have the "Advanced animations" graphic option ENABLED. And of course, the airplane model you are flying must be a native FSX product.

cowings1588

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 01:39:11 am »
I agree they do work, although some of the aircraft like Airbus 320 Ext they look like they about go inside the plane sometimes.. Won't be long I'm sure AES will make it available for KIAH to be able to use there jetway system which will align up better with our aircraft but until then. Atleast these jetways work unlike Blueprint scenery that don't do nothing.. This KIAH is so far better & incredibly enjoying it !!  Thanks again FSDT for making KIAH.. :)

Little bugs here & there but I know the kinks what ones there are will all get worked out eventually.. Every new thing has its minor defects we all know this from the cars we buy to anything new is bound to have mishaps with it until you work out the kinks but over all KIAH is such a wonderful scenery & done just as I imagined it would be done by FSDT..  Thanks again Virtualli & crew at FSDT !!  Wonderful job..  :)
COA
Bill

almostatys

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 02:12:32 pm »
Hi!

I bought KIAH scenery,but the jetway markings are unrealistic and deficient. Top of jetways are numbers at real KIAH (e.g. D4-D10) ,but no numbers at FSDT KIAH. I looked at more pictures and video and google/map. And no UNITED inscription on one hangar near runway 26L in FSDT scenery.
Sorry for my english!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 03:33:26 pm »
Hi! bought KIAH scenery,but the jetway markings are unrealistic and deficient. Top of jetways are numbers at real KIAH (e.g. D4-D10) ,but no numbers at FSDT KIAH.

This has been asked and answered many times on the forum, and it was of course answered in THIS thread too, have you read it ?

As I've said already in my earlier reply in this very thread, animated Jetways can be very heavy on fps and on memory, if you are not very careful. If they had an individual number, it would require a different model for *each* of them, instead of just 2-3 types for the entire scenery, which saves a lot of memory and fps in the process.

If we wasted memory like that, instead of missing numbers, you would be here complaining about something much worse: low fps and crashes because of scenery using too much memory.

As a general rule for anything related to scenery design: before you point to some detail as "missing" or "unrealistic", ask yourself "could be they made it this way to save memory and fps ?", and you'll find that, most of the times, that's the answer.

Patman101

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 04:12:18 pm »
For the people who cannot get the jetways to connect I have a question. Do you guys have jetway codes in your aircraft.cfg file cause if you do, don't, or need some to get the jetways to connect to your aircraft. I can help. I got tons of codes. ;D

almostatys

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 05:23:10 pm »
Low FPS? I have same (25) FPS in PMDG 777 VC with Steve's DX10 fixer at KIAH,KDFW,KLAX...etc and my config i7-2600K CPU and GTX 560 Ti GPU.
Make an option in addon manager for jetway numbers and markings please!

Hnla

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 06:29:06 pm »
Low FPS? I have same (25) FPS in PMDG 777 VC with Steve's DX10 fixer at KIAH,KDFW,KLAX...etc and my config i7-2600K CPU and GTX 560 Ti GPU.
Make an option in addon manager for jetway numbers and markings please!

If they ADDED the jetway numbers it would create a drastic drop in FPS, as well as your memory limit, because they would need to create each jetway *individually*. It's not as easy as making an "option" in the addon manager, it would require a remake of the scenery.

If you still don't understand, go back and re-read this reply again.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:25:38 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 07:19:29 pm »

You have these fps (which I consider to be ok, not great) BECAUSE we don't use numbers on jetways (in addition to a ton of other optimizations), and we don't have any plans to make the scenery any slower.

But regardless of the fps, even if you were ok flying with a lower fps, those individual objects would also use more MEMORY and, thanks to the 777, we are already very close to the maximum limit of a 32 bit app like FSX and, since you surely won't like to hear the suggestion to use another less-memory hungry airplane, just accept you won't get individual numbers on jetways.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 07:25:50 pm »
it would require a remake of the scenery.

It wouldn't be *so* difficult on our side, we would have to individually export and place 128 jetways, and supply with a different AFCAD so it's not like a complete remake of the scenery, although is not trivial.

But the whole discussion is pointless: all that work, to lower fps and greatly increase the chance of OOMs, is simply not going to happen...individual jetway numbers IS something we'll surely have, when we'll eventually replace the FSX jetway animation system entirely.

Perhaps for GSX2...

cowings1588

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 07:49:41 am »
In all honestly, that would be seriously great for P3D users to have the ability to adjust or align the jetways to meet up with our doors without it looking like the jetway goes right through it like it does with the default jetways currently..  So if GSX2 will have this ability that will be a big bonus for us P3D users..

Far as numbers being on jetway, I could carless about it being on jetway as long as gate number is on the ground like it is now & maybe on the terminal Building in front of that gate where we can see it from our plane..
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:00:19 am by cowings1588 »
COA
Bill