Author Topic: I must be doing something wrong :-(  (Read 18204 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: I must be doing something wrong :-(
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 03:58:02 pm »
My other FSDT sceneries and GSX are running well, but KIAH is not showing me any buildings, gates, etc., as it is supposed to be. PLEASE solve

Do you have CYVR or JFK2 ? If you really have the same problem, of another product preventing access to the C:\ProgramData folder, those shouldn't work as well, because they store their objects in that folder, exactly like KIAH.

doudou

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 05:36:49 pm »
Same problem here : KIAH is active in Addon Manager and works only in demo mode (5').
To finish the activation process (and solved my problem), I have deleted this line in FSUIPC.ini : RunIf1=Ready,Close,C:\Program Files (x86)\FSPS\FSX Fiber Accelerator\FSX Fiber Accelerator.exe
Then, I have restarted FSX (without Faber Accelerator active), restarted a flight at KIAD and then closed FSX.
Now, both products seem to work together.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 07:26:28 pm by doudou »

laltamuro

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 07:52:16 pm »
Well, I began from scratch. I did deactivate and uninstall KIAH and GSX (in that order), and after that I had installed again GSX (last versión from your web). At this point, everything seemed to work fine, I checked the *.bin files at virtuali\couatl and they weren't zero length files. Also, Meta.txt seemed to be alright (2kb) and couatl.log reported no problem.
After that, I installed KIAH again. And success!!! I was able to see all airport buildings and everything worked fine.

The only difference I was able to see is about GSX versión, then. Last versión I had (and the first I reinstalled) was not the same as the one I got from your site. I think it has made the difference (along with using a scenery.cfg without semicolons, but we have talk about it in another thread for FGSX support forum, maybe I could have forgotten it in my first steps with KIAH, I'm not sure).

Well, at least it worked for a while... After 5 min, as Doudou said, everything disappeared, seems it is in demo mode, in spite of activation via Addon Manager...

But then, I closed FSX and started it again, to see what could happen with couatl.log, and, if once activated, it doesn't begin in trial mode... It takes a few seconds to the engine to draw all buildings (only a nuissance, I hope it won't be a problem when approaching) and after 5 min, finally... everything is A-OK!!!

Well, finally it is done. Thank you very much for your fast support, now let's enjoy KIAH.

Regards ;-)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:45:30 pm by virtuali »

edwardpat

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 08:38:12 pm »
Do you have CYVR or JFK2 ? If you really have the same problem, of another product preventing access to the C:\ProgramData folder, those shouldn't work as well, because they store their objects in that folder, exactly like KIAH.

I have both CYVR and JFK2. JFK2 is not installed in my scenery.cfg. CYVR is installed and ACTIVE, and is working well, with no trouble. The only scenery that is not showing taxiways, buildings, etc., as it is supposed to be is the new KIAH. I'm also noting that after every FSX start, GSX (which is installed and ACTIVE) is regenerating the airports cache. PLEASE suggest a solution.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:38:58 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 09:40:22 pm »
I'm also noting that after every FSX start, GSX (which is installed and ACTIVE) is regenerating the airports cache. PLEASE suggest a solution.

So it seems your problem might be similar, another external software is preventing access to the C:\ProgramData\Virtuali folder, for some reason. Could you please provide your Couatl.LOG file to confirm this is the case ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 09:45:41 pm »
Well, I began from scratch. I did deactivate

Well, at least it worked for a while... After 5 min, as Doudou said, everything disappeared, seems it is in demo mode, in spite of activation via Addon Manager...

If you deactivated it, it's just normal it would have reverted to Trial mode. Not that Deactivating was necessary, of course. If it was, I would have told you to do that.

But then, I closed FSX and started it again, to see what could happen with couatl.log, and, if once activated, it doesn't begin in trial mode... It takes a few seconds to the engine to draw all buildings (only a nuissance, I hope it won't be a problem when approaching) and after 5 min, finally... everything is A-OK!!!

So you reactivated it, and it works, normally.

Perhaps your issue was that you used an old GSX installer. It's possible the installer you had didn't reset the permissions for the C:\ProgramData\Virtuali folder, more recent installers surely do it. But the KIAH installer does it as well so, I'm still convinced there was some kind of interference from another product.

edwardpat

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 10:01:31 pm »
I'm also noting that after every FSX start, GSX (which is installed and ACTIVE) is regenerating the airports cache. PLEASE suggest a solution.

So it seems your problem might be similar, another external software is preventing access to the C:\ProgramData\Virtuali folder, for some reason. Could you please provide your Couatl.LOG file to confirm this is the case ?

I'm attaching the requested file. Hopefully there will be a solution. I had never before a similar situation with any other scenery from other suppliers and from FSDT as well. I think it sshould be something wrong with your new installers regarding permission or protection systems (maybe).

Edward

laltamuro

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 10:03:07 pm »
Maybe... Anyway, lesson learned for me: BEFORE install a new addon, get last gsx versión and install it.
Thanks! ;-)

edwardpat

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 10:06:05 pm »
And, as I told previously, CYVR is working well with no trouble, and CYVR is in the same folder that KIAH, so how it is possible CYVR gets permission and KIAH not???
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:26:12 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 10:34:38 pm »
I had never before a similar situation with any other scenery from other suppliers

I don't think there's any one scenery out there that stores its objects in the C:\ProgramData folder.

I think it sshould be something wrong with your new installers regarding permission or protection systems (maybe).

There's nothing "wrong" in the installers, otherwise we would be obviously flooded by hundreds of different users all with the same problem, not just 2.

And what makes you think this has ANYTHING to do with "protection" ? Permissions are something inherent to any Windows system, so you can have permission issues on any file. Protection doesn't have anything to do with permission, and this is clearly NOT the case here.

The reason for objects to be stored in the C:\ProgramData folder doesn't have anything to do with "Protection". The one and only reasons to put them there is:

1) To save hard drive space if you have both FSX and P3D installed.

2) To allow to patch them on the fly to sort out some difference between FSX and P3D, without having to distribute and install two sets of files, and if we tried to patch them under the FSX folder, which by default is installed under C:\Program Files, we would SURELY have FILE permission issues!

So, the reason for having the objects in that folder, is precisely to NOT having any permission issues.

But of course, if ANOTHER program is interfering, something that starts BEFORE FSX, and is locking access to that folder, there's simply nothing we can do to defend against this, your only chance is to find the offending program and stop it, or configure it to not lock you our of a folder you SHOULD have the right to read and write, because this is PRECISELY what our installers do: grant your user permission to read/write in the C:\ProgramData\Virtuali folder, which is EXACTLY the same as the FSX own installer does: it grants your user permission to write into the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX folder so, it's 100% standard and correct practice.

bigmack

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 10:35:39 pm »
I'm having a similar problem. When I installed the demo all was fine, when I activated KIAH FSX and P3D crashes when I try to go to that airport from go to menu. I have CYVR and KJFK v2 installed and active without issue.

Bill M

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 10:39:49 pm »
I'm having a similar problem

Similar ?? Your problem doesn't have anything to do with anything discussed here. There's already enough confusion because, one user has a permission issues that prevent access to the scenery objects folder, another user *thought* he has the same problem, you have an entirely different problem too.

Please open a separate thread and describe your problem precisely, because this thread is already confusing as it is now, without adding a third issue that looks entirely different than the other two.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 10:47:28 pm »
And, as I told previously, CYVR is working well with no trouble, and CYVR is in the same folder that KIAH, so how it is possible CYVR gets permission and KIAH not???

After looking at your log, I don't understand why you also thought you had a permission issue to begin with, since nothing in your log shows that something remotely similar to what's happening to the user altamuro is happening to you.

Your log doesn't show ANY error access to the C:\ProgramData folder, so no, you don't have any permission issues.

And, your log doesn't show that GSX is regenerating its cache at each start. Maybe you saw it regenerating its cache several times, and assumed it's *always* regenerating, but it's not. At least it didn't in the session your log was referred to.

If you just installed a new scenery, it's normal that GSX would regenerate its cache. And, if you have both FSX and P3D installed on the same system, it's normal that you will see a cache regeneration each time you switch from a sim to another, because the GSX cache location is shared too. We plan to fix this in a future GSX release, but there are no issues if it's happening, just a minor annoyance.

Instead, your log shows this:

Loading addon KIAH
Addon KIAH not installed or missing one or more files, skipping

No wonder KIAH doesn't work, and CYVR and JFK2 do. It seems you haven't installed KIAH. The scenery itself HAS an entry on the Scenery Library, but its Couatl code is just not there. Which shouldn't normally happen because, of course, the KIAH installer installs everything that is needed by the scenery to work.

You should have a file named __INIT__.PYE in the FSX\fsdreamteam\Couatl\KIAH folder. This is supposed to be put there by the KIAH installer.

Of course, if you Uninstalled something while testing, and replied YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Couatl scripting engine", everything related to Couatl would be removed and, as the message also warns, every other product requiring it would stop to work, and this includes KIAH. You probably did this when uninstalling something else, like GSX for example, because it would LEAVE your KIAH area (obviously, GSX doesn't remove the KIAH scenery area) but if you told it to remove everything related to Couatl, it would remove all the KIAH Couatl files.

So, to fix your problem, you will simply have to install KIAH.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:49:38 pm by virtuali »

edwardpat

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 12:55:32 am »
Thanks, that did the trick !!!. Probably during testing I forgot to reinstall KIAH after unistalling and installing GSX several times. A very high quality scenery as always when we deal with FSDT.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:09:36 am by virtuali »

DMullert

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 04:05:28 am »
Hello Gang!

For some reason some FSDT installers are more "finicky" than others when it comes to the GSX installation, which for some reason it seems to drive how the Addon Manager and Virtuali behave.  I also experienced  this same situation with KIAH and the same phenomena spread to KJFKV2 and PHNL.  My cure was to re-install these sceneries using the latest installers and at the end re-install GSX.  This procedure cured the illness for me.

Hope this helps!

Dennis
Sincerely,

Dennis D. Mullert