Author Topic: KLAX Loading in the distance  (Read 4258 times)

Angelo

KLAX Loading in the distance
« on: July 02, 2014, 04:01:53 pm »
Hello, I have a quick question and I'm not too sure about the answer.

I fly into KLGB regularly in the sim and we know the proximity of LGB to LAX, on first launch of my sim when nearing the numbers 30 from the ILS to LGB I get a pause for 2-3 seconds (When LAX Loads in the distance) then the sim resumes and I'm on my way. Unfortunately this happens at flare height over the numbers for LGB.

Now, I uncheck FSDT KLAX from the scenery library and revert back to default KLAX and my approach to KLGB is smooth and
un-interrupted.

As soon as I reactivate FSDT KLAX the problem surfaces again.

I know about altitude cull and view optimization, but I don't know what settings. Is there a way to force KLAX to load earlier so this doesn't happen?

Thanks for the help guys.

Angelo

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KLAX Loading in the distance
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 04:25:23 pm »
I know about altitude cull and view optimization, but I don't know what settings. Is there a way to force KLAX to load earlier so this doesn't happen?

This doesn't have anything to do with altitude cull or the view optimization. It's the general loading range of the scenery which is involved, and it's nothing you can fix.

Right now, KLAX loads from 16 nm out from the airport center. If we reduced it in order not to load when parked at KLGB, which is about 14.5 nm from KLAX, it would fix this issue if you are AT KLGB, or if you are approaching from the south, or south-east. But if you are approaching from north-west, is just too close to KLAX.

Increasing the loading range, instead, would be wrong, because we would then allocate memory for KLAX objects when they are not needed, and risking OOMs, just to save you from that 2-3 seconds pause, is not worth it.

Angelo

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 05:10:20 pm »
So for now the only solution is to uncheck from scenery library when landing KLGB? If I want to risk the OOM can I adjust the 16nm to perhaps 18nm?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 05:21:03 pm »
If I want to risk the OOM can I adjust the 16nm to perhaps 18nm?

As I've said in my previous reply, is not something that can be user adjusted. We might try doing some tests but, of course, you'll still have you 2-3 seconds pause, just 2NM earlier.

Angelo

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 05:30:01 pm »
Ahh yes that makes sense. Well I appreciate your reply and information on the matter. Have a great day Umberto.