Author Topic: Canyon in DFW  (Read 6246 times)

dfreemanfso

Canyon in DFW
« on: June 23, 2014, 05:40:11 am »
I have some awful looking pits at DFW after a re-install.  It is literally like I have a big canyon sitting in the middle of DFW.

I have had FSDT KDFW for years now and love it.  I just had some hardware upgrades and did a complete re-install of FSX.  I installed the following add-ons before KDFW.

1. FS Genesis Global Mesh
2. Scenery Tech Land Class
3. FTX Global
4. FTX Global Vector

KDFW is at the top of my scenery list, so I don't know what the problem is, unless there is a compatibility issue with FTX Global - I really hope that isn't the case.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Canyon in DFW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:33:41 am »
KDFW is at the top of my scenery list, so I don't know what the problem is, unless there is a compatibility issue with FTX Global - I really hope that isn't the case.

As explained many times already on the forum, meshes DO NOT respect the Scenery Library priority. A mesh with an higher resolution will always "win" against any other scenery, regardless of its position in the Scenery Library.

If you correctly set the Mesh resolution and Complexity sliders according to the KDFW manual ( not less and not more ), that's all you can do from the KDFW side.

If you are still getting mesh errors, they are caused by a bug 3rd party mesh you installed.

A mesh having a nominally higher resolution than default, is not automatically "better". Default meshes are pre-processed around airports to be smoothed out and don't have any holes, spikes or bumps, which are usually caused by missing data in the original database, or by humps caused by the satellite antenna that will pick up things like buildings, trees, etc. not just "terrain".

That's why, an add-on mesh should be pre-processed a lot, in order not to create problems to airports, and there are products designed to fix such bugs, like the Airport Flattening Mesh, to be added to FS Global ( but it should work with any other base mesh )

http://www.fly2pilots.com/Cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=d3fca479-6c4c-465b-bd75-97445878ae48

In brief, the problem doesn't have anything to do with KDFW, it's a mesh issue, that can only be solved within mesh products.

dfreemanfso

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 05:20:16 am »
It was FTX Global vector; another simmer reported a similar issue with FTX at ORD.  I went into the FTX Vector Configurator, and excluded DFW from "Airport Elevation Corrections".  Like the guy with the issue at ORD, I'm doing that for all my add-on airports and haven't had an issue since.

Has this issue been reported a lot since the release of FTX Global and Global Vector?  If so, maybe a sticky is in order. 

bossmiranda

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:06:33 am »
Same problem here...but solved with the FTX GLOBAL VECTOR Configuration Tool ;) ;)