Author Topic: Graphics issue  (Read 5864 times)

iolarei

Graphics issue
« on: September 26, 2008, 10:32:36 pm »
First of all, great scenery as usual - however I'm experiencing a problem whereby my screen freezes, then goes black with skewed white lines across it in the middle, and (most of the time) then goes back to normal. A message appears from Windows saying my graphics card driver stopped working - but then successfully restarted. This happens numerous times only at JFK (5 to 10 times within 20mins), and on one occasion, my PC blue screened. I have KORD, LSZH and numerous other sceneries which are all fine.

I have no other JFK scenery and my Graphics card drivers are up to date. My PC specs are:

Vista - Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.4Ghz - 4Gb Ram - ATI Radeon HD 3870 x2 (512mb each) - 680Gb Hard Drive

Its a brand new machine (bought last week especially for JFK's release), so no chance of corruption from previous files. Can you suggest how to resolve this?
Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Graphics issue
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 10:50:54 pm »
A message appears from Windows saying my graphics card driver stopped workingì

Sorry, but that's a video driver problem. Nothing like that can be caused by the scenery. No, the fact that KORD and LSZH works fine, doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem with JFK, it's just that the issue might manifest only with a certain combination of graphic commands, material used in the scenery, etc.

I see you are using two video cards. Keep in mind that FS9 doesn't really support SLI.

iolarei

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 03:41:23 pm »
Hi Virtuali, thanks for the quick reply. I've done a search on the net and there does appear to be an issue like this with other games, shame I had to get it with JFK - never mind, I'll keep trying to fix it.
Thanks again.

Aeroman

• "Did we land or were we shot down?!?"
    • American Virtual Airlines
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 06:16:24 pm »
iolarei, please post here if you find a solution.  I was looking into getting that graphics card.  Thanks!
Best regards,

Ryan Cummins
AAL148
Dallas/Fort Worth Int'l. Hub
American Virtual Airlines
"We know why you fly"

iolarei

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 03:45:21 pm »
Aeroman, came across the following forum discussing the problem:
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/137620-display-driver-stopped-responding-has-recovered.html

I tried disabling the ATI External Event Utility and was able to complete my first error-free flight from JFK yesterday. Not sure yet, if this is a permanent fix (didn't work for the person in that forum), or if I just got lucky.

iolarei.

Aeroman

• "Did we land or were we shot down?!?"
    • American Virtual Airlines
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 04:10:24 pm »
Thanks iolarei, I'll check it out.  Keep me updated whether it seems to be more permanent.
Best regards,

Ryan Cummins
AAL148
Dallas/Fort Worth Int'l. Hub
American Virtual Airlines
"We know why you fly"