Author Topic: Malicious Files  (Read 7065 times)

ChrisC

Malicious Files
« on: June 02, 2014, 11:27:24 am »
So I went ahead and bought Geneva(LSGG).

I went download these files and when they download as complete Chrome states that they are Malicious files and won't let me actually complete the download. Now I already have GSX from FSDT and I downloaded that over a year ago and cant recall having this problem?

I assume this is a false positive but I just wanted to bring it to the attention to you guys.

StevenK

Re: Malicious Files
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 01:41:47 pm »
Try using a different browser.
I can personally say that the files are not "Malicious"

Try using IE (I know its not the best) but it should do for one download
Steven Kiberton
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | AMD Bulldozer FX 6100 3.3Ghz | Coolermaster Hyper TX3 | ASUS Motherboard M5A 78L-M | 16GB DDR3 RAM | EVGA Geforce GTX 550 Ti 1gb PCI Express DDR3 DVI HDMI | 750w Corsair AX750 | 1TB HDD + 120GB SSD | x2 - 20" WideScreen Monitors

srcooke

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 02:00:42 pm »
Whilst Chrome is tagging the file as "Malicious" if you open the downloads tab, CTRL + J, you'll find the option to recover the file.
Regards
Stephen Cooke

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 11:12:09 am »
Are you sure it's Chrome *itself* that is listing the files as "Malicious", and not your antivirus which is intercepting any download ? I only use Chrome, and never saw that alert.

srcooke

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 07:35:08 pm »
Attached is what Chrome displays in the Download tab.

Regards
Stephen Cooke

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 10:23:14 pm »
Attached is what Chrome displays in the Download tab.

I'm not questioning you tried to download from Chrome but, are you sure it's not some kind of browser PLUGIN that your antivirus has installed ? As I've said, I use Chrome, and I also tried it just now and no, no warnings whatsoever from Chrome about the download.

srcooke

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 08:54:38 am »
are you sure it's not some kind of browser PLUGIN that your antivirus has installed ?

I cannot be certain of that Umberto although no plugin is reported by chrome and the security software does not identify the malicious files in it's history.

Chrome has its own 'phishing and malware protection'.

The real purpose of my post was to show how to overcome the warning, at the users risk obviously ;)
Regards
Stephen Cooke

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 09:38:25 am »
Chrome has its own 'phishing and malware protection'.

Which I have enabled, but I don't see any warning, when trying to download the same exact file in your screenshot. Maybe ( I don't know how that feature works exactly ), it's working together with the antivirus, so it behaves differently depending on which antivirus is used.

The real purpose of my post was to show how to overcome the warning, at the users risk obviously ;)

There's no risk, of course, since this is obviously a false positive.