Author Topic: Run out of available memory  (Read 7990 times)

Jean-claude

Run out of available memory
« on: September 20, 2008, 03:35:09 pm »
I downloaded JFK and installed it. Because I use AES, I opened FSNav data and changed the level of JFK to be immediately below AES, I saved it to FS9 and started FS9. For the first time ever, FS9 stopped loading and sent me an error message I never saw before: "Your computer has run out of available memory".

I cleaned up whatever could be, removed a high load of unnecessary files on my computer, verified the available space on the disk and found that 28% remain available: my HD has 186Go, 133 are used, 52.9 are available, there is no need for defrag.

When I started FS9 through FS Autostart, I could see that the free physical memory was 1595.48 MB. In spite of my increasing the available space on the disk well beyond what it was before installing your software, I still cannot start FS9 anymore and continue getting the error message mentioned above.

I rolled back my Windows XP cfg to a date before installing JFK, erased FS9 cfg to start anew, removed JFK from the scenery cfg and rectified the proper sequence. No result.

Could anyone help me to recover it?
Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 03:38:22 pm by Jean-claude »

samiranks

Re: Run out of available memory
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 05:33:17 pm »
did you delete any afcad that you may have had in the past for JFK? Sometimes could be due to a double afcad issue.  Try running scanafd program from avsim or flightsim.com and see if that can help..

Jean-claude

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 05:53:10 pm »
Thanks for the tip. I run scanafcad and found no duplicate, there is only one KJFK AF2 file. So that does not sound like the culprit. I saw another post in another thread with an error message during startup of FS9 but the error message was another one. I own the Zurich scenery and was about to purchase this one had I had access to FS9...

Any idea how to get me out of this situation?

Jean-Claude

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:09:19 pm »
Have you ever changed the default Windows memory allocation ? Perhaps the swap file is too small. Try to let Windows manage it.

Jean-claude

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 03:28:59 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I let Windows XP manage the memory. I removed several files from my HD to obtain 74.5 Go free (out of a total capacity of 186 Go). I unchecked JFK, AES and even uninstalled your Zurich scenery just in case as well as the SimFlyers JFK scenery. No change, so this error message pointing in the direction of disc space is wrong anyway. I also deleted the bgl files in the module folder.

My problem started from the moment I installed FSDT JFK, I could not start FS9 once since then, it always aborts at the same time after loading the scenery updated database to 100%, this is when the error message comes and the ini. fails.

So something in this scenery has caused the crash and triggers since then this error message that I cannot understand for I made no change on my FS9 or Windows XP settings, did not load any other software in the past two months and used FS9 with no problem during that period of time until last week-end.

Can you give me any hint to unlock this utturly unpleasant situation? ??? You suggest that the swap file may be too small, what would be the ideal size please? (as a reminder, my settings are presently allowing Windows XP to manage it automatically)

Many thanks for any assistance.

Jean-Claude

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 07:37:38 pm »
Have a look at this thread, were I pointed out some possible fixes:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1009.0

Jean-claude

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 02:36:41 pm »
Thanks Umberto. I did check your suggestions and will try them tonight, I have doubts though that it will help as I did do that myself several times this week-end to no avail, adding, deleting scenery files, uninstalling and reinstalling Zurich and JFK, changing swap files. No luck. Each time I started FS9 exe. the scenery database was being loaded up to 100% and then crash.

If the above fail again, I will send you my scenery cfg file. I thought also about other possible conflicting sceneries I have in that area such as La Guardia (freeware), New York and Long Island detailed high resolution scenery and Simflyers JFK (the latter I had unchecked). Do you see any reason for these software to interfere with yours or am I on a wrong path?

Thanks for the assistance. I don't like to make empty promises, but if we resolve this problem, you will sell JFK and KORD for sure, I already have ZRH from you. That will be your "salary" to get me out of this...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 09:36:34 pm »
As mentioned this morning, I send you my scenery.cfg file for your review by separate email.

I'm looking into it.