Author Topic: Periodic Error Message  (Read 11193 times)

CaseyD

Periodic Error Message
« on: September 22, 2008, 02:45:59 am »
Let me begin by saying that this is an excellent scenery. Well worth the money and I certainly don't regret it. It's been a long wait for a decent JFK scenery for FS9. I seem to be having some sort of problem however. Periodically, I will get a blank screen, followed by the FS error message which references the problem file to be the nt.dll. Of course following the error, FS crashes to the desktop. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

sleddriver

Re: Periodic Error Message
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 03:32:48 am »
Yah.  I'm getting the same thing.  I even tried a system restore to a point before I downloaded JFK, but to no avail.

B777ER

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 10:11:00 am »
Got two CTD's with JFK as well. An fe.dll error and a util.dll error. FS9 version of JFK. There is for sure something that FS9 and this scenery don't like about one another. Nothing else in my sim has changed in a long time other than this scenery and now these errors  ??? :(
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 11:42:42 am »
Yah.  I'm getting the same thing.  I even tried a system restore to a point before I downloaded JFK, but to no avail.

This should tell that your crash doesn't have anything to do with JFK.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 11:45:32 am »
Got two CTD's with JFK as well. An fe.dll error and a util.dll error. FS9 version of JFK. There is for sure something that FS9 and this scenery don't like about one another.

I've already replied to you in another thread. You are not having a CTD with JFK. You are having some other problem that happens to be at JFK. FE.DLL errors are caused AI textures or Landclass textures missing or corrupted.  A missing texture in a scenery would only have the effect of rendering the affected object in gray.

B777ER

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 06:02:55 pm »
Virtuali- then why have I never had a problem in the past with the few JFK sceneries that I have had installed? Why all of a sudden do I have a landclass issue (i don't use AI and have it disabled) now that that I have your scenery installed. Does not make sense that y setup has been fine for years and now its got to be my problem and it cannot possibly be your scenery? M ethinks it the scenery.
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 07:07:22 pm »
Virtuali- then why have I never had a problem in the past with the few JFK sceneries that I have had installed?

I've already replied here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1029.msg8092#msg8092

If you were already having a memory leak, it doesn't automatically means you *have* to crash everytime. As long as you have available memory, the sim will not crash, even with a memory leakage.

If JFK it's just taking that more memory that will put your total usage to more than the available memory, it will simply make surface a problem you were already having.

B777ER

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 07:24:17 pm »
The thing is I don't think its a mem issue. I am getting fe and util.dll crashes. Not OOM errors.
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 07:34:13 pm »
The thing is I don't think its a mem issue. I am getting fe and util.dll crashes. Not OOM errors.

Not all OOM errors are printing an obvious screen message about OOM or simply CTD. A problem related to exhausted memory might still be able to trigger the windows diagnostic with the name of the crashed dll. And, BTW, BGL problems are usually g3d.dll. Fe.dll errors are coming from Ai or Landclass.

CaseyD

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 04:06:32 am »
Well, if BGLs cause g3d.dll errors, and AI and Landclass cause fe.dll errors, then what causes the nt.dll error?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 12:20:29 pm »
Well, if BGLs cause g3d.dll errors, and AI and Landclass cause fe.dll errors, then what causes the nt.dll error?

It's an error caused by basic OS operations, like loading files, allocating memory, etc. It can be caused basically by anything, even outside Flight Sim.

There's no need to point out that, I've never seen a g3d.dll, fe.dll or nt.dll when using FS9 on my machine, not at JFK, and not anywhere else. But, I don't have any addons, apart with a set of AI to test the AFCAD.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:23:38 pm by virtuali »

CaseyD

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 03:40:34 pm »
Ok, so is there no way to fix this problem?

Dimon

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 03:46:57 pm »
Sorry, but virtualli is correct - nt.dll could be anything. That's why I try to keep my Windows clean (regular updates, defrag, registry check etc). The perfect solution is to have FS-dedicated desktop only with separately purchased clean OS.
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

CaseyD

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 02:45:27 am »
Well, it wasn't a problem until this scenery...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 10:08:28 am »
Well, it wasn't a problem until this scenery...

Doens't mean much. Are you having this problem with a clean FS9 installation with this scenery only and with a default aircraft ?

If yes, then we might have a case. If not, and you have many other addons, you might get an error just becasue you were (for example, in case of memory exhaustion) *already* close to memory exhaustion and, by adding this scenery, which is not small, you crossed the border between having the problem or not.

If you had installed this scenery first, and then another addon, you might have thought the problem was caused by the other one, instead.

Can you check, for example (using Task manager), the total memory allocation at JFK, using the addons you normally use ?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 10:12:07 am by virtuali »