Author Topic: Repeateable crash on taxiway along RWY 25R/07L  (Read 15360 times)

AirBorne

Repeateable crash on taxiway along RWY 25R/07L
« on: May 02, 2014, 01:08:56 am »
Hello,

I've been trying to make a short flight from KLAX to KSFO with 777 PMDG and when I'm taxiing to RWY 25R about halfway the taxiway next to it the plane just crashes and the view goes outside, then the flight reloads. It's the fourth time it happend already and I haven't found a clue on it. Does anyone know what is wrong here?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 01:33:00 am by AirBorne »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Repeateable crash on taxiway along RWY 25R/07L
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 01:15:25 am »
It would be helpful to know what the crash message said, since the message is not exactly the same if you crashed onto an object, the terrain or an AI.

A possible reason might be an AI you can't see, because it's an FS9 model and you have the airplane shadows off, so FS9 AI models can't be seen, but will still cause a crash. Another possible reason might be a bump caused by a 3rd party mesh you have installed, which is causing the airplane to tip off.

The only thing sure, it's nothing related to the scenery, for the simple reason that, all our scenery objects have crash detection removed, which helps with fps, so you can't crash on them even if you try.

AirBorne

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 01:32:24 am »
The message is just "CRASH", and it happens on B somewhere close to C5, no matter what direction i'm taxiing on B.
And visually speaking, there's nothing wrong, no signs of objects, terrain spikes, and the like whatsoever.

AirBorne

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 01:34:47 am »
AI crash is disabled, since it's known for a long time, since the earlier versions, the crashes occur even when you're a little bit far from the other plane.

AirBorne

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 01:43:26 am »
I just checked again, it seems to happen right in the spot where a road passes underneath the taxiways and runways that side of the airport. And the plane doesn't jump or behaves erratically, it just crashes.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 02:53:54 am »
If you mean the crossing between taxiway C and the road underpass, I've just checked it now, twice, once with the default 737 and once with the PMDG 777, and there's no crash.

Nobody ever reported it before either.

Have you set the Mesh as suggested in the KLAX manual, with Resolution at 5m/pixel and Complexity at 100 ?

AirBorne

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 03:19:37 am »
Yes I did, just to make sure.
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100 (has always been like this)
MESH_RESOLUTION=23 (changed today in order to check, it was 25 before)
But still happening.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 03:22:46 am »
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100 (has always been like this)
MESH_RESOLUTION=23 (changed today in order to check, it was 25 before)
But still happening.

Doesn't happen here, but I have Mesh Resolution to 22 ( 10m ), try that. However, 5m should be fine, and it's what we tested, but of course this might change depending which 3rd party mesh you have.

AirBorne

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 07:24:26 am »
I have FS Global Ultimate. It's still happening, very wierd indeed.
Happens on both sides, on all outer taxiways when passing over the bridges. Visually-wise, there's nothing strange at all (like seen before in KDFW)...

AirBorne

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 07:57:20 am »
I was able to cross it in a small single engine airplane. Perhaps the 777 is striking its wingtip or something in an invisible object? Now I just tried to cross the small plane closer to the edge of the bridge (in the edge lights area) and in fact it crashed.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 11:01:12 am »
There's no invisible object anywhere in the scenery, and the crash doesn't happen in the scenery. It can only be caused by a combination of settings and/or 3rd party meshes. Those meshes aren't usually pre-processed and smoothed out as the default mesh is and, due to how FSX works, higher resolution mesh will *always* take precedence, regardless of the layer ordering in the Scenery Library.

Not all airplanes reacts in the same way to a terrain hump, so it's absolutely normal you might not see on all airplanes, but again, it's nothing related to the scenery.

A way we might prevent it in *theory*, would be supplying KLAX with a FLAT mesh of an higher resolution than any 3rd party mesh out there but this, on top of being a waste of memory (potentially causing OOM that users would attribute to KLAX, when if fact it would be needed to correct other 3rd party meshes faults), it doesn't really work in reality, because when using such higher resolutions, rounding issues and artifacts will creep in, causing terrain "spikes" that will cause crashes all the same.

X_Man

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 09:21:04 pm »
FYI - I am experiencing the same issue. I see a protrusion that looks like rocks. It is at the intersection of C and C4 taxiways heading East. I taxied over it by mistake (OK maybe I was under the idea that it was a visual anomaly alone, but it wasn't). I think there is an issue with flattening the area - I have FSGlobal Ultimate with terrain set to max and I run  VRS TacPack so turning collisions off is not an option.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 10:41:07 pm »
FYI - I am experiencing the same issue. I see a protrusion that looks like rocks.

That's because you have set your Mesh resolution too high, and not as suggested in the KLAX manual ( the "Design Notes" section ). It must be at 10m/pixel and not higher, because at higher resolutions, FSX will display such artifacts that result from oversampling data and rounding errors.

X_Man

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 11:34:01 pm »
FYI - I am experiencing the same issue. I see a protrusion that looks like rocks.

That's because you have set your Mesh resolution too high, and not as suggested in the KLAX manual ( the "Design Notes" section ). It must be at 10m/pixel and not higher, because at higher resolutions, FSX will display such artifacts that result from oversampling data and rounding errors.

Sounds good. Thanks for the quick reply. Now on to my KLAX-VHHH flight  ;)

JensPeter

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 10:55:20 am »
Hello

I must sadly report the same issue, and it happens with both PMDG 737NGX and default 737's, and exactly when you pass over bridge at taxiway C, between C6 and C5, and in any direction.

If you stay at taxiway Bravo you have no chrashes.

I have FS Global installed, but no other scenery or local meshes for the area, and i allways fly with crash detection on for the realism.
The mesh resolution and complexcity is as per the manual 5m/pixel and 100. I have tried the 10m solution with no result.

Turning off Crash detection solves the problem, so i suspect it to be another crashbox issue.

I hope for a nice solution, because KLAX is just a smashing scenery !

Take Care
JP