Author Topic: Re-installation issues **SOLVED**  (Read 3065 times)

Captain Fred

Re-installation issues **SOLVED**
« on: April 29, 2014, 03:45:47 pm »
I had to re install all my flight software including P3D version 2.2  P3D installed fine but I can't install GSX and OhareX
I keep getting the error message can't find FSX even though I choose the drive letter, and the folder location of Lockheed-Martin
Prepar3d 2.2
I downloaded the GSX from your web site. What am I doing wrong?
Also can't install the Add on Manager.
I did search the forum for an answer but nothing turned up.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:48:59 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Re-installation issues
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 04:14:10 pm »
I had to re install all my flight software including P3D version 2.2  P3D installed fine but I can't install GSX and OhareX I keep getting the error message can't find FSX even though I choose the drive letter, and the folder location of Lockheed-Martin Prepar3d 2.2 I downloaded the GSX from your web site. What am I doing wrong?

That means your registry keys for the sim are missing, corrupted or wrong. Either because you haven't installed the sims correctly, or because you moved them to a different drive manually, or because you used the P3D Migration Tool. The Migration Tool should NOT used when installing something that SUPPORTS P3D and FSX, like all our products, because it would confuse the installer to work with FSX.

Disable the migration tool, if you used that and, eventually, check if it has ruined your registry keys.

I did search the forum for an answer but nothing turned up. 

This has been discussed many times, for example here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,10169.msg79460.html#msg79460

Captain Fred

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 06:33:52 pm »
However, the game runs just fine. Loads quick and runs fine. Even REX 4 Direct HD.
All my add on aircraft run fine.
It can't be the registry keys. The error message states GSX is looking for FSX not P3D.
I don't understand. P3D is installed in exactly the same folders, etc. I used L-M's built in installer.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 09:29:57 pm »
However, the game runs just fine. Loads quick and runs fine. Even REX 4 Direct HD. All my add on aircraft run fine.

You don't need to have the correct registry keys to RUN the sim. But is needed by any installer, to know WHERE the sim is located.

It can't be the registry keys.

Yes, it is.

The error message states GSX is looking for FSX not P3D.

Because, as explained in the other thread too, if P3D is NOT FOUND (because its registry key is missing or pointing to the wrong folder ), the installer tries to look for FSX. If EVEN FSX is not found, because the FSX registry key is missing or FSX is really not installed, the installer tries to ASK YOU where FSX is.

I don't understand. P3D is installed in exactly the same folders, etc. I used L-M's built in installer.

Something changed your P3D registry keys AFTER you installed it. Most likely, the Migration Tool, which is something that might have caused this. It's either that, or you moved P3D after the installation. No other possible causes of the P3D registry keys not matching its installed folder.

As I've said in the other thread that I suggested to read, you should either:

1) Reinstall P3D to have its installer fixing the registry keys.

OR

2) Check your registry key for P3D, be sure is pointing to the folder P3D is installed into. Use the REGEDIT default utility, and go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\AppPath
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:32:04 pm by virtuali »

Captain Fred

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 10:11:39 pm »
Ok, first thank you for being patient while I sort out this mess.
I completely uninstalled P3D, all files, registry keys, etc.
Completely uninstalled all other add ons including GSX, OHAREX.
Re-installed P3D. Re-installed GSX and OHAREX as per your instructions and tips.
Presto! Everything works as it is supposed to. Boy was this a learning experience.
Thank you again Umberto for you help. Cheers.