Author Topic: KDFW Zoom Option?  (Read 6715 times)

jammerxd

KDFW Zoom Option?
« on: April 28, 2014, 05:49:55 am »
I have read many posts about the zoom having to be .60-.70 on the vc in order to see the airport gorund details that incluse taxiway markings. Is there a way to override that and allow a zoom of say .40 or .30 in the vc and still have at least the ground details shown?

Please and thank you :)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KDFW Zoom Option?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:24:24 am »
There isn't, this is how the scenery has been optimized, with the most realistic zoom setting, which is around 0.70. Note that, in many places you can go down to 0.40, it's just that we don't guarantee this will happen everywhere.

Captaind777

KDFW Zoom Option?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 02:39:18 pm »
This is a big sticking point for me. I like the DFW scenery but I'm weary about buying the others. For my screen and resolution, the most zoom I can do in the PMDG 777 is .42. Anything more and my viewpoint is in or behind the headrest to get the right perspective inside the cockpit.

On the PMDG 737 .38 is the best I can do and then I have the same situation.

It's disappointing, I have tons of payware scenery, and none of them have issues of my .35 zoom settings.

I hope FSDT corrects this at some point.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 02:47:23 pm »
This is a big sticking point for me. I like the DFW scenery but I'm weary about buying the others.

KDFW is more LOD optimized of the other sceneries, because it's the largest one. An the "weary about buying the others" is a non-issue, because we have ALL of them in TRIAL version so you can obviously check them on YOUR system with YOUR settings.

It's disappointing, I have tons of payware scenery, and none of them have issues of my .35 zoom settings.

That's because they haven't been optimized it for LOD, it takes EXTRA time to do it. We would actually saved a lot of time, by not doing it.

I hope FSDT corrects this at some point.

There's nothing to "correct", because that's not obviously a bug, it's a feature of the extensive optimization of the scenery.

We might add an option to be user configurable, it's something we CAN do, thanks to the extreme flexibility of our Couatl scripting module, but it's a capability (real time patching of objects) that we have added only recently, well after KDFW was made, but it could be retrofitted to use it.

Captaind777

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 03:34:11 pm »
I understand all of that, but it's a feature that works against me in this case. I have a 21.5 inch monitor set at 1080. That combined with two of the most popular aircraft add-ons doesn't work with that feature. They are the only two planes I fly.

I played with zoom settings the other night. It seems that .50 is the minimum I can set to get all of the scenery details, but then I'm inside or behind a headrest to get the correct point of view in the cockpit. I know it's not a bug. I'll have to spend some time reading about the benefits of this feature. I don't see the benefits, it works against me, and others it appears. While other developers may not use this feature, I get all of the details at my zoom settings.

I know I can install the trials. I shouldn't say I'm weary about trying them, I should have said I don't know if I will tolerate it at the others. I tolerate DFW because it's my home airport. The others I might just wait for another developer. I know I won't get JFK scenery because another developer is doing it and I know I do not have feature issues with their products. While FSDT will probably have a nicer looking and more detailed JFK than this other developer, there's a chance it won't be as detailed for me, with my setup.

If anyone has recommendations on how to get .50 zoom and a proper cockpit perspective, I'd love to know.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 04:49:00 pm »
I understand all of that, but it's a feature that works against me in this case. I have a 21.5 inch monitor set at 1080. That combined with two of the most popular aircraft add-ons doesn't work with that feature. They are the only two planes I fly.

The airplane you fly doesn't have anything to do with this, only the zoom level. The monitor resolution does have an effect but, the higher resolution you use, the better, meaning you can use wider zoom settings.

I know I can install the trials. I shouldn't say I'm weary about trying them, I should have said I don't know if I will tolerate it at the others.

But you are assuming it would look the same everywhere, which is not the case.

I tolerate DFW because it's my home airport. The others I might just wait for another developer. I know I won't get JFK scenery because another developer is doing it and I know I do not have feature issues with their products. While FSDT will probably have a nicer looking and more detailed JFK than this other developer, there's a chance it won't be as detailed for me, with my setup.

Your mistake here is that you "assumed" this is an "FSDT-thing" instead, as I've said quite clearly, it's a KDFW-SPECIFIC optimization, due to its sheer size (way larger than JFK, KLAX, or any other scenery we made). With "larger" meaning only areas, not complexity or number of terminals, or polygons, etc. Just area.

KJFK doesn't have ANY LOD optimization on the ground lines, because it's made in an entirely different way. Again, had you done the right thing, and installed the Trial, instead of assuming things (or if you simply asked), you would have seen that JFK behaves entirely different, and you could have used it today, instead of waiting for a less featured and very likely much slower version.

If anyone has recommendations on how to get .50 zoom and a proper cockpit perspective, I'd love to know.

Just wait for the patch we are working at NOW. Of course, you'll lose some fps, nothing is free in this world...

Captaind777

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 05:21:09 pm »
Oh I know it has nothing to do with the airplane. It just so happens that the headrest is where the camera needs to be for a zoom of .50. If the headrest was gone, problem solved for me.

I'd like to know exactly why LOD is chosen in large scenery environments. What exactly is the technical benefit of this?  I'm just curious as to what it does exactly. 

I will be trying out the LAX and ORD trials when I get back from my current trip.

I understand the trade off. The frame rate at DFW is quite excellent. It would be interesting to see how much it will suffer. Maybe certain airports like my MIA could benefit more from LOD. My frame rates are not to great there.