Author Topic: KORD Missing runway textures  (Read 5681 times)

dfreemanfso

KORD Missing runway textures
« on: April 28, 2014, 05:11:03 am »
Not sure why this is happening.  The runways at all my other airports are fine.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KORD Missing runway textures
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:26:39 am »
The most likely cause is an AFCAD in conflict, the most common source of conflicts are AFCADs that are provided with AI Traffic products, such as MyTraffic. You can use the free FSX Airport Scanner program to search AFCAD duplicates and remove them.

And, of course, you shouldn't move the entry for FSDT KORD in the Scenery Library, it must be on top of everything else that can potentially conflict with it, which is where the installer automatically puts it by default.

dfreemanfso

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:05:34 pm »
Thanks Sir.  I did just install some World of AI traffic So I'll remove it and see if it works.  I also read on another thread that it could be a mesh complexity and resolution issue.  I'll look into that as well

dfreemanfso

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 07:34:31 am »
Virtuali,

I appreciate the feedback.  I ran a lot of tests tonight and have concluded it's not an AFCAD.  I checked for duplicates and found none.  I deleted all of my WofAI, and reinstalled the scenery and addon manager - ORD is #1.

I have concluded this is some kind of mesh issue.  When I pan down I can see that the taxiways are at a higher elevation that the runways.  When I increase my mesh complexity, mesh resolution, and texture resolution, the airport gets very hilly/pitted and you can see where the taxiways elevate over the runways and cover the textures.  When I lower all of my mesh and texture resolution sliders to the minimum, the hills/pits go away and the textures show up.  The problem then becomes that changes in elevation still exist, and objects - to include my airplane - appear to be floating.  I can only get all the textures to display with the above sliders all the way to the right; so I'm left to chose between missing runway textures, or getting all the textures right and having floating objects at really low resolutions/complexities.  I did install FTX Global and Vector a while ago, but it didn't effect any of the other FSDT airports that I own - not sure if this is part of the issue.

Not sure what to do next.

Thanks again for your time.

-Dave   

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 11:30:11 am »
I appreciate the feedback.  I ran a lot of tests tonight and have concluded it's not an AFCAD.  I checked for duplicates and found none.  I deleted all of my WofAI, and reinstalled the scenery and addon manager - ORD is #1.

conflicting AFCAD are just the most common cause of such problems, but not the only one, which is why we always ask to check for these first.

I have concluded this is some kind of mesh issue.

If it's not the AFCAD, a 3rd party mesh is the most likely cause.

I did install FTX Global and Vector a while ago, but it didn't effect any of the other FSDT airports that I own - not sure if this is part of the issue.

You should have said that sooner, those products are causing a LOT of issue, see the forum. The first obvious thing to do, would have been disabling or removing them, so you would *know* for sure the are the cause.

The issue is, what causes terrain spikes at high resolution, is "noise" in the original mesh data, because the sensor picked things that are sticking out, but aren't part of terrain, like buildings, towers, trees, etc. A proper mesh product should be reprocessed to flat these anomalies at least inside the airports boundaries, but apparently they don't do that.

You might not see this problem elsewhere, perhaps because the original data is not made in the same way everywhere, usually mesh products are made using a combination of different data sources, and even the original data is not the same everywhere.

Nothing we can do from our side, of course, it must be fixed by the mesh developer, the airport of course comes with a proper flatten command and the its AFCAD will flattening the terrain too, but unfortunately, FSX display terrain spikes if the underlying mesh is of too high resolution and not cleaned up.

dfreemanfso

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 03:01:23 am »
 ;D Fixed...just disabled the AECKORD.bgl in ORBX Vector and KORD is back to its wonderful self.

I didn't realize I had the same problem as the guy in this thread: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,9752.0.html because my settings were lower and I couldn't tell I was getting mesh terrain spikes; it just looked like missing textures to me.

Thanks again for all of the fast and helpful support.  I appreciate all you do for the community.