Author Topic: Couatl crashing on start **SOLVED**  (Read 21155 times)

TomWeiss

Re: Black textures on sceneries
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 11:09:44 pm »
I purchased all these 3 products when they came out - and I did install and use them without any problems, so it is not a question of a first timer having install issues.

I uninstalled everything and tried to install again, this time with antivirus off and added the whole FSX and P3D folders as exceptions for antivirus.

now, both in FSX - AND - in P3D I have no building loading.

the Cuatl is not showing up in either, the add on manager is showing up.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 11:41:24 am »
I purchased all these 3 products when they came out - and I did install and use them without any problems, so it is not a question of a first timer having install issues.

That should in fact just prove to you that the installers works, because you *have* used the products in the past. What made a difference, is something in your system that changed between then and now. An online update of the antivirus might have caused this, for example.

I uninstalled everything and tried to install again, this time with antivirus off and added the whole FSX and P3D folders as exceptions for antivirus.

the Cuatl is not showing up in either, the add on manager is showing up.

Then you must have done something wrong, like not following everything in my previous reply TO THE LETTER because, if you had BOTH modules missing, it might have been some difficult to find issue with your Windows C++ runtimes libraries, or a problem with the Simconnect libraries.

If, instead, you are missing JUST Couatl and it's missing in BOTH FSX and P3D then it can only be the antivirus.

Redo all the following, exactly, don't skip ANY step. In FSX ( because P3D won't ask you ), PAY ATTENTION if you are being asked permission to run BOTH modules when you first start FSX. Obviously allow both of them.

If you REALLY followed all the procedure to the letter, without skipping ANY step, and you are not being asked permission to run BOTH modules, clearly indicate if you are being asked permission to run both, one of them ( which one, of course ) or none of them.

If you are not being asked permission to run *just* Couatl, then sorry, IT IS the antivirus.

TomWeiss

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 03:56:38 pm »
I followed precisely and to the letter your instructions

I just want to say that, I am used to FSX and that I am writing a review of P3D v2.2 and that all my other add ons are working OK in both P3D and FSX at this time.

I did uninstall
I did reinstall in both FSX AND P3D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/thomasdw/new%20Jan%202011/progfiles.png

disabled
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/thomasdw/new%20Jan%202011/avast1.png
P3D folder excluded
[URLhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/thomasdw/new%20Jan%202011/avast2.png[/URL]
specific files excluded FOR P3D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/thomasdw/new%20Jan%202011/avast3-1.png

how it looks in P3D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/thomasdw/new%20Jan%202011/P3Daddon.png

I also installed it in FSX, where it did ask permission for Cuatl to be added, same thing happened the menu does not show Cuatl and the buildings do not load.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:04:36 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 04:03:11 pm »
First, I would kindly ask you to STOP posting embedded images, against the Screenshot Posting rules which I've ALREADY posted for you in my previous reply. Could you do that, please ? Again, in case you haven't noticed it from my previous reply:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,3076.0.html

And, don't waste your time posting screenshots of the scenery without buildings. It's more than enough saying "I don't have the Couatl menu", and that's it. Your problem is that something in your system is blocking that program from running, nothing else.

I also installed it in FSX, where it did ask permission for Cuatl to be added, same thing happened the menu does not show Cuatl and the buildings do not load.

You should activate the Simconnect diagnostic mode to see what's wrong with your install:

Open notepad, and copy the following text:

[SimConnect]
level=errors
console=1
RedirectStdOutToConsole=1
OutputDebugString=1
; file=c:\simconnect%03u.log
; file_next_index=0
; file_max_index=9

Save the file as SIMCONNECT.INI in this folder:

Documents And Settings\YOUR LOGIN NAME\Documents\Microsoft Flight Simulator X Files

At the next FSX launch, you should see a text window with diagnostic message, that should tell what's going wrong. Let me know what you are getting, so we can have an idea what's happening. You only need to report the first 10-20 lines, if the screen scrolls too fast, use the "Pause" key on the keyboard so you can read the FIRST 10-20 lines.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:08:49 pm by virtuali »

TomWeiss

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 05:08:53 pm »
I am posting screenshots to aid you, please don't be testy with me.

here is a screenshot with the simconnect screen in FSX, maybe I am doing something wrong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/thomasdw/new%20Jan%202011/simconnect.png

I also added the exlusion to those 2 files in FSX.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 05:51:22 pm »
I am posting screenshots to aid you, please don't be testy with me.

I haven't said you shouldn't post screenshot, I've asked if you could post them according to the Screenshot posting rules of our forum, which I've posted twice. Using the URL tag instead of the IMG tag is JUST a courtesy towards fellow forum users reading the forum with slower or (worse) pay for bandwidth, internet connections.

here is a screenshot with the simconnect screen in FSX, maybe I am doing something wrong.

No, it simply shows there are no errors. Try changing this line:

level=errors

into this:

level=normal

and see if you have more messages.

TomWeiss

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 06:05:06 pm »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 09:34:30 pm »
plenty of messages :

Which is why I've said in my previous message:

You only need to report the first 10-20 lines, if the screen scrolls too fast, use the "Pause" key on the keyboard so you can read the FIRST 10-20 lines.

Only the first lines are meaningful, because they might indicate if the sim is trying to load the modules at start, and any possible errors/warnings. Try to post something that shows the diagnostic log from the start.

TomWeiss

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 10:20:48 pm »
Ok - so how can I extract that info - the window is not editable and I can't copy the lines.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 01:44:28 am »
Ok - so how can I extract that info - the window is not editable and I can't copy the lines.

Like any other command line windows in the Windows OS, you CAN copy text to be pasted elsewhere, by opening the window menu on the top-left side of the window, there's an "Edit" menu with options to mark text and copy it.

However, a screenshot it's ok, provided you make the FIRST 10-20 lines visible. As I've said in my past two messages, if the screen scrolls too fast, use the "Pause" key on the keyboard to be able to see the first lines.

If you can't do that, you can redirect the log to a file, by uncommenting the following lines:

file=c:\simconnect%03u.log
file_next_index=0
file_max_index=9

This will create a Simconnect000.log file on your C:\ drive. Post the FIRST 10-20 lines from that file here, that's a text file, so it should be quite simple.

If you don't see the file being created, it might be a permissions problem when writing on the C:\ drive. In that case, make a folder named as you like, such as C:\Log, then change the first line to be file=c:\Log\simconnect%03u.log
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:48:27 am by virtuali »

TomWeiss

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 03:31:51 am »
no menu on the simconnect window, no problem, I ran it again, here is a link with the file:

http://www.crimeanairwars.com/TEMP/simconnect000.log

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 01:09:17 pm »
no menu on the simconnect window

Of course there is a menu in the simconnect Window. As I've said already in my previous message, it will open if you click in the top-left corner, where you have ( the icon it's even in YOUR screenshot! ) a very small FSX icon. Click there, a menu will open, the "Edit..." submenu contains the option to mark and copy text.

no problem, I ran it again, here is a link with the file:

The log file shows that the Couatl program has started.

You'll now have to check if maybe is starting, but quitting immediately. Keep the Task Manager open, start FSX and pay attention if you see a Couatl*32.exe process being loaded, if only for a very brief time.

Report back with the outcome.

TomWeiss

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 02:10:13 pm »
cuatl did very briefly load, then it vanished.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 02:15:45 pm »
cuatl did very briefly load, then it vanished.

So now you will have to enable logging for Couatl itself.

open the Notepad and type the following on a new blank file:

logFile=couatl.log

(please note logFile is written beginning with a lower case l and a capital F )

Save the file as couatl.ini in the FSX\fsdreamteam\couatl folder, so it stays at the same level of the couatl.exe. Then go in FSX, then when it's done loading the scenery you can't edit and ready to fly, then Exit from FSX and post the content of the Couatl.LOG file that should have been created inside FSX\fsdreamteam\couatl, and the Couatl.ERR file too, if it exists.

TomWeiss

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 03:01:47 pm »