Author Topic: Couatl crashing on start **SOLVED**  (Read 21153 times)

TomWeiss

Couatl crashing on start **SOLVED**
« on: April 25, 2014, 05:32:32 pm »
add on manager says that all 3 are Installed and ACTIVE, but all buildings are not loading (Black textures)

(all were installed with the latest version from the website, dl today)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/thomasdw/new%20Jan%202011/addonmanager.png
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 04:55:12 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: All 3 Hawaii airports in P3D active but not loading
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 10:02:38 am »
add on manager says that all 3 are Installed and ACTIVE, but all buildings are not loading (Black textures)

Black textures doesn't mean the buildings are not loading, it means their TEXTURES are not loading, if the buildings didn't load, you wouldn't see anything, not even the black textures.

The most likely reason is that you have manually moved the scenery installation folder outside the FSX\fsdreamteam folder. You can't do that, it must stay where the installer puts it.

TomWeiss

Re: Black textures on sceneries
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 03:07:20 pm »
I did not move them - they are loading OK in FSX, the black buildings are in P3D v2.2, I just installed there.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 04:27:57 pm »
I did not move them - they are loading OK in FSX, the black buildings are in P3D v2.2, I just installed there.

There's no difference whatsoever, the only possible reason for this, is that you are using some kind of non-default configuration for P3D folders, or use the migration tool, that messes up with the registry keys, so the sim is running on the wrong folders.

Again, if you see buildings, but in black, everything is running correctly, just that textures can't be found so, either are being moved, or the sim is looking into the wrong folders for some reason.

TomWeiss

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 05:19:46 pm »
probably that is the reason, can you point out which folders I need to check to fix this ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 05:32:41 pm »
probably that is the reason, can you point out which folders I need to check to fix this ?

First, check your registry keys for P3D, be sure they are pointing to the folder P3D is installed into. They can be checked using the REGEDIT default utility, and are located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\AppPath key.

Also, check you are not running the sim in any of the "Compatibility" modes for Windows XP or Vista (if running under Windows 7 or 8 ), and be sure you turn off every migration utility.

TomWeiss

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 05:45:53 pm »
the path is OK

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/thomasdw/new%20Jan%202011/info-1.png

could it be that if I copy the textures folder to P3D v2.2 from FSX that they would load ?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:55:17 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 05:56:53 pm »
could it be that if I copy the textures folder to P3D v2.2 from FSX that they would load ?

You don't have to manually copy anything, our installer is obviously complete and tested to work under P3D, and installs all needed files in the proper places.

OF COURSE, if you had the P3D migration tool active WHEN you ran the installer, nothing will basically work when using an installer that is supposed to work under P3D, like all our own. If you did that, reinstall using our installer, with every migration tool DISABLED.

TomWeiss

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 06:29:30 pm »
I did not have anything else than SimSwitch added, I am going to re-install it again, I'll post as soon as I am finished.

TomWeiss

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 09:08:25 pm »
reinstalled all 3 - the building don't load, there is nothing there but a black square on the surface of the airport where the building should be, very much like it is when the add on is not registered and in trial.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 11:15:11 pm »
reinstalled all 3 - the building don't load, there is nothing there but a black square on the surface of the airport where the building should be, very much like it is when the add on is not registered and in trial.

Nope. When the scenery is not registered and in Trial, EVERYTHING will work normally, just for 5 minutes at time. Now,I'm not sure anymore what do you mean with "black textures".

From your first report, it seemed you HAD buildings, but with black textures. Now, from this report, it seems you have black areas on *ground* textures, where the buildings are supposed to be, but without a building.

This doesn't have anything to do with registration (because, as I've said, an unregistered scenery will work normally, for 5 minutes), it seems the software is not even running.

The usual question: do you have BOTH the "Addon Manager" AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu ?

TomWeiss

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 03:11:15 pm »
no, there isn't.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:56:47 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 08:56:55 pm »
no, there isn't

Not very clear. Are you missing one of the menus ? If yes, which one ? Or are you missing BOTH ?

TomWeiss

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 11:38:03 pm »
my reply got truncated

"Couatl powered products" is the one missing

this is what I am getting now

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/thomasdw/new%20Jan%202011/Prepar3D2014-04-2615-56-44-43.jpg
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:36:08 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 09:37:24 am »
my reply got truncated

Your post was edited ONLY to remove your screenshot, because you posted it against the Screenshot posting rules:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,3076.0.html

2) When using external servers to post images, it's best to use the URL tag instead of the IMG tag, so you don't force downloading lots of data to someone that might not be interested and (maybe) is on a slow connection or, even worse, on a pay-for-traffic connection, like those using 3G.

The screenshot didn't show the "Addon" menu in the opened status, so it wasn't possible to see which of the two menus you were missing.

"Couatl powered products" is the one missing

In this case, it's very likely the antivirus, the solution has been discussed plenty of times:

- Uninstall the scenery. Reply YES when asked if you want to remove the Addon Manager and the Couatl Engine. Reply YES to both questions.

- TURN OFF your antivirus. Don't just exit from its interface, but turn off the real time protection. Actual wording changes between products, however, it's the option to scan every file that gets open in real time, without user intervention.

- Reinstall the scenery with the Antivirus TURNED OFF. Don't launch FSX yet.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, if you installed it in the default folder.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:41:17 am by virtuali »