Author Topic: A snowball of issues, starting with KLAX **SOLVED**  (Read 5010 times)

ajpongress

A snowball of issues, starting with KLAX **SOLVED**
« on: March 29, 2014, 09:45:30 am »
I'll try to be as concise as I can.

1st issue:

FSDT KLAX wasn't rendering the blue lights at the edges of taxiways during night time. I could see the blue splash baked into the texture, but the actual lights were missing. After searching these forums, I saw Umberto recommend downloading and installing the Stand-Alone Addon Manager (the version it gave me was 2.9.0.17).
I did that, and then the next issue came up.

2nd issue:

During FSX startup, a popup would show on the splash screen, saying "Can't init SimConnect error". After exhausting searching on this topic, I installed all 3 SDK's from my install discs (FSX retail, SP1, and Acceleration/SP2).
I ran the SimConnect.msi installers for all 3 versions of SimConnect to try and repair whatever was causing the problem. Well, it didn't.

For some dumb reason I deleted the SimConnect folder in Windows/winsxs for the 10.0.61259 version of SimConnect.
Don't ask me why I did this. I think I thought that deleting it and then running the SimConnect.msi installer for the Acceleration/SP2 simconnect would magically fix it's sxs installation. Well, it didn't.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g429/halcyon201/missing_simconnect_folder.jpg

So now, that particular SimConnect folder in the Windows/winsxs directory is gone. Forever. Like an idiot I cleared my recycle bin. I have tried repairing Acceleration with the install disc, and when that failed I uninstalled and reinstalled Acceleration.
Neither action put the missing folder back into the winsxs directory.

3rd and current issue:

I believe because of this, it's causing a cascading effect of problems.
First, FSUIPC 4 won't load. Here's the log:

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.929 by Pete Dowson *********
Reading options from "C:\Flightsim\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.ini"
Running inside FSX on Windows 7
Module base=68E70000
User Name="Andrew Pongress"
User Addr="xxxxedited for privacyxxxx"
FSUIPC4 Key is provided
WideFS7 Key is provided
       46 System time = 29/03/2014 04:23:10
       62 FLT UNC path = "\\AJ-PC\Flight Simulator X Files\"
       78 NOTE: SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 is supported, but it isn't installed.
       93 Trying to connect to SimConnect SP1 May07 ...
      124 FS UNC path = "\\AJ-PC\C\Flightsim\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"
      514 LogOptions=00000000 00000001
      514 SIM1 Frictions access gained
      514 Wind smoothing may be by ASN, not FSUIPC, if it is running
      514 Will switch smoothing action when ASN starts/stops
      514 G3D.DLL fix attempt installed ok
     1638 Failed on SimConnect_Open, return = 0x80004005: FSUIPC4 cannot operate!
     1638 ... Now trying to connect to another version of SimConnect ...
     1653 Trying to connect to SimConnect Original ...
     1653 Now running with SimConnect Original
     2761 Failed on SimConnect_Open, return = 0x80004005: FSUIPC4 cannot operate!
     2761 ... Now trying to connect to another version of SimConnect ...
     2761 FATAL ERROR: FSUIPC4 cannot connect to any supported version of SimConnect!
     2761 Trying to use SimConnect Original
    22916 System time = 29/03/2014 04:23:32
    22916 *** FSUIPC log file being closed
G3D fix: Passes 442, Null pointers 0, Bad pointers 0, Separate instances 0
Memory managed: 11 Allocs, 11 Freed
********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

So that pretty much confirmed what I already knew. SimConnect version 61259 can't be found because, well...I deleted it.
Because of this, nothing from the dll.xml will load. I have no addons menu in FSX and coautl.exe won't load either (FSX pops an error message for it on startup).

So.....how in the bleep do I get SimConnect 61259 installed back into the windows side-by-side configuration winsxs folder?
I really, really, REALLY don't want to reinstall FSX from scratch.
Really don't want to do that.
Do I have any other alternatives?

Someone please say yes...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:36:41 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: A snowball of issues, starting with KLAX
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 10:22:10 pm »
So that pretty much confirmed what I already knew. SimConnect version 61259 can't be found because, well...I deleted it.

According to the report from FSUIPC, which works with several versions of Simconnect, you haven't just removed that one, you removed *every* Simconnect. Or, perhaps, 61259 was the one you removed, but all the other ones were already screwed up, so it's not surprising that nothing works, basically, surely not just KLAX, which was just another victim of its disappearance.

So.....how in the bleep do I get SimConnect 61259 installed back into the windows side-by-side configuration winsxs folder?

You should try an FSX REPAIR, or an FSX SP2 REPAIR, that would probably be more useful than just running the Simconnect installer.

ajpongress

Re: A snowball of issues, starting with KLAX
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 07:56:38 pm »

According to the report from FSUIPC, which works with several versions of Simconnect, you haven't just removed that one, you removed *every* Simconnect. Or, perhaps, 61259 was the one you removed, but all the other ones were already screwed up, so it's not surprising that nothing works, basically, surely not just KLAX, which was just another victim of its disappearance.

You should try an FSX REPAIR, or an FSX SP2 REPAIR, that would probably be more useful than just running the Simconnect installer.

It turns out the problem ran deeper then just a repair.
I ended up having to reinstall Windows to fix some broken permissions in the windows/winsxs directory. Reinstalling FSX fresh didn't even put the Simconnect folders in that directory because of read/write permissions issues.

Basically, I shouldn't have messed with anything in the windows folder :P