Author Topic: Aircraft not landing on runways during Canarsie Approach  (Read 18432 times)

jvile

Re: Aircraft not landing on runways during Canarsie Approach
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 03:02:35 am »

Harpsi

In my 1st post I said

An example is a AI Plane may sometimes go missed especially in a curved approach because the Start Location is off the runway texture and located on a taxiway.

I did not say by moving the Start Location would help a AI Plane to find the runway after the turn to short final.

harpsi

• Beta tester
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 09:31:02 am »
Hi Jim

After some posts and as a conclusion, what can we do to have Canarsie approach flown in a good behaviour?  ;D

harpsi

jvile

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 05:54:46 pm »
Harpsi

I will take a deeper look into the approach code if thats OK with FSDT. Presently the AI Planes are attempting for a circle to land rather then a right curve approach. This is no fault of FSDT but unique to the AI behavior and some times a compromise has to be added to the approach code.

When AI are thinking in code for a circle to land (starting the approach) and then at the last minute see the extended runway target point to the right of the plane (RWY 13L/R because they are on a right base) it can cause some planes to have difficulty in the last turn. The Canarsie Approach for the User Plane is not a problem but based on certain geometry within the AI Plane code when it is flying the Canarsie Approach it is thinking circle to land and not curve to land. No worries, that is correctable with heading angles in respect to runway angles.

The reason some will see a difference on any one type AI Plane from one computer vs another computer  is simply a FPS issue. Each User looking at the AI Plane landing is using a different time, different amount of AI are parked or in the visual zone and FPS based on speeds of computers play a part in the smoothness of when a AI starts the turn to final.

I may have the same B747 that you have and it will land ok for me put not for you. Any straight in type approach for a AI is always seeking the target point of the XML runway texture so slight hesitations do not have the same affect on a AI plane vs a curved approach. A curved approach has no runway texture target point to seek from 7-10 miles out and only has a heading to work with. Only when the AI nears the runway does it then try to correct itself and makes a turn toward the runway target point in the XML code for the touchdown point.

If a AI Plane could fly Navaids it would have targets like the User plane but AI does not fly Navaids. All the default FS9/FSX weather related curved approaches that are in use in the approach code database are nothing more then tricks to make a AI plane think it is on a long final for a straight in approach. Only at the last few seconds does the AI plane fiqure out it is not in line with the runway and makes a turn to compensate for the correct final. If my computer can cause AI to fly a smoother curve then your computer I have a better chance of seeing the AI find the texture of the runway.

Of course the approach that I write compensates for both the slowest and fastest computers out there so each user should see about the same thing even if FPS are different between each computer.

harpsi

• Beta tester
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 09:31:24 pm »
Hi Jim

Very good explanation. I wait for your solution, otherwise I need to change to ILS 13 definetelly because I didnĀ“t see more than 3 good approaches until now. I am sure that like all the other work you did, you will find a good way to solve this one as always. :D

harpsi

MHTripple7

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 04:04:21 am »
Jim,
Just out of curiosity, how diffictul would it be to make AI Aircraft fly SIDS? At JFK, all aircraft departing 31L do a sharp left turn and do the Canarsie climb. I thought I remembered reading somewhere (Maybe on the FlyTampa forums) that it wasn't possible to modify what an AI Aircraft does after departure but I was just wondering.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:06:21 am by MHTripple7 »

jvile

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 06:32:11 am »

MHTripple7

Up to now I have not found anyway to control AI on departure. The most I can see in the AI code is they always turn using the shortest radius in a circumference to join up with their entended Flight Path. The AI Flight Plan is from the parking spot to the closest Start Location of a runway at the arrival airport based on a world setting of winds. 

Departing 31L/R to KPHL = left turn
Departing 31L/R to KBOS = right turn