Author Topic: Replace gsx.cfg  (Read 5941 times)

Hvitløksost

Replace gsx.cfg
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:53:13 pm »
Hello,

I have just a question for you; I like to keep to sets of the gsx config files as I both fly Ryanair and other companies. With Ryanair I don't have stairs at the front door and I use conveyor to the front cargo-door, but when I'm flying with NAX etc. I use stairs at both exit-doors and conveyor at the back cargo-door. I have configured the file a dozen times, and then I keep the files in sperate folders. Everytime I switch the configure files, the same aircraft-config shows in sim, even though I'm saving and copying the gsx.cfg to different folders every time. This might seem as a mess, but I have a folder in Aircraft -> PMDG 737-800NGX WL called gsx.backups. Inside that folder I have the original config and the Ryanair config in another folder inside that again. I keep copying and pasting to the PMDG 737-800NGX WL folder, but nothing in the config file changes after I have done the config in-sim..

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Replace gsx.cfg
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 09:15:45 am »
GSX reads the GSX.CFG file from both the FSX\Simobjects\Airplanes folder AND the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Airplanes folder. If a GSX.CFG is present in the FSX\Simobjects\Airplanes folder, it will be READ from there but, as soon as you start making changes to it, a copy will be made into %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Airplanes folder and so THIS file will then have the priority over the one on the FSX folder.

The reason for this is being compliant with the Windows Vista/7/8 UAC rules, that no program should ever try to write into its own folder (under the FSX main folder), which is usually located under the non-writable C:\Program Files folder, but GSX still reads a GSX.CFG file placed in the  FSX\Simobjects\Airplanes folder, so an airplane developer can supply a GSX.CFG file with its airplane alongside the aircraft.cfg, so it's easy to distribute.

This means, all your CFG shuffling, should be made into the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Airplanes folder rather than the FSX\Simobjects\Airplanes folder.