Author Topic: f-18 ils approach  (Read 13555 times)

muleskinner

f-18 ils approach
« on: April 22, 2008, 02:38:15 am »
would someone be so kind as to take me by the hand and show me how to do an ils approach? PLEEEASE. I've tried to find directions on this forum but have not succeeded as of yet.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 03:03:30 am by virtuali »

rickb1293

Re: f-18 ils approach
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 08:55:52 pm »
Hey muleskinner you're not alone. Try this:

1) Pick an airport and approach you are familiar with. I use Runway 2, PHOG at Maui the ILS approach frequency is 110.10 MHz on a course of 024 degrees.

2) Press the ILS  key under the main display then enter 1 1 0 1 <ENTER>. This selects the proper frequency for the Runway 2 localizer IOGG (.. --- --. --.). You can turn on the approach audio on the left hand control stack. The knob is located about 2/3s of the way down near the elbow. The knob can be activated by locating the mouse cursor over the knob then rolling the mouse thumbwheel.

3) Set the proper ILS course by using the above procedure on the ILS course switch (CRS) located under the fuel management controls under the left hand flight display. The actual course setting can be checked on the HSI display usually set up on the right hand flight display. It is labeled CSEL. Set up the right display by selecting MENU HSI. The HSI display can be adjusted with the upper left control on the center display. Choose either NORM or D CTR.

4) Using the attached ILS plate set up for the approach at 3000 feet on course 024 degrees at CAMPS intersection. The aircraft should be in approach configuration with flaps at position 1 (Press F7 once) and throttles set at an N1 of about 40% or as needed to maintain an airspeed of 150 Knots IAS. Locate the ILS softkey on the right hand flight display and press it. This places the HUD in ILS mode. You should see the glideslope and horizontal deviation cross near the center of the HUD if you set up as above.

5) As you approach the airport add full flaps, lower the gear and adjust throttles for 130-140 knots IAS. Remember this is a high performance aircraft so stay way in front of your maneuvers. Using a ground speed of 140 knots you'll need to maintain a descent of +/-750 Ft/Min to stay established on the 3.00 degree glideslope. Winds are fairly constant on Maui so you should expect a slight cross wind component to your landing - it is usually minor. Verify glideslope with the runway optical aid and adjust throttles to maintain glideslope.

6) At 200-300 AGL press the 'Z' key to disengage the autopilot and land using manual control. Use the brakes VERY carefully or you'll spin the aircraft. This runway has plenty of length so you should have no problem.

NOTE: I hope the attached landing plate loads - cross your fingers!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Razgriz

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 11:13:44 pm »
Use the brakes VERY carefully or you'll spin the aircraft. This runway has plenty of length so you should have no problem.
Negative, use brakes at will.  Just make sure you have at least half realism selected.

crim3

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 08:16:21 am »
Use quality rudder pedals with toe brakes :P

muleskinner

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 03:20:29 pm »
I can't figure out how to reply to Rick. Hope you get this. THANKS for your reply! Now can someone tell me wnen the plane intercepts the ils localizer will it switch off from heading select and then navigate itself to line up with the crs heading like a lear 45 will.