Author Topic: Problem with GSX after I installed new update **SOLVED**  (Read 3615 times)

fsjunkey

Problem with GSX after I installed new update **SOLVED**
« on: December 21, 2016, 05:49:01 am »
I am a registered owner of GSX. I installed the new update today. When I try to run gsx, it only gives me the Trial mode. I went to P3d Addons, selected Addon Manager, GSX says the Product Active. The Buy-Register, Serial, and Reinstall buttons are grayed out. How do I fix this?  Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 01:18:00 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problem with GSX after I installed new update
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 10:30:46 am »
If the Addon Manager says the program is active, then it's active.

If you have the Trial airports menu in GSX, it's not normal, and the problem might be caused because you are running the sim or some other addon in "Compatibility" mode so, be sure every Compatibility mode is turned off for both the sim AND any 3rd party addon that runs with it.

If this doesn't fix it, it's possible the update hasn't finalized (so you are still old files), because your antivirus has mistakenly blocked the installation of some files, likely the Couatl.exe file, which must be updated too, but it wasn't because the antivirus blocked it. In this case, try to exclude the whole sim folder from scanning, and reinstall with the antivirus disabled.

fsjunkey

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 02:41:48 am »
I hadn't changed any compatability settings or installed any new addons. Everything was working fine the day before I installed the new update. I didnt mention it because I didnt think it had anything to do with my problem but i have been having this problem with the new GSX install:
runtime error (at 150:2448):error on line 1, position 46: Switch from current encoding to specified encoding not supported.  List index out of bounds.
I searched the forum and found out about the xml files, and opened them with notepad, but since I dont know anything about programming, I had no idea what I was looking at and wouldnt know if there was an error or not.
I attached a zip file with the 2 xml files from my program data folder. Can you PLEASE take a look at them and see if you can find the problem? Thank you very much. Gary

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 09:05:06 am »
Everything was working fine the day before I installed the new update.

The problem doesn't have anything to do with the update.

I didnt mention it because I didnt think it had anything to do with my problem but i have been having this problem with the new GSX install:
runtime error (at 150:2448):error on line 1, position 46: Switch from current encoding to specified encoding not supported. 

Since you haven't said that, I thought it was the compatibility problem. Instead, it's your XML corrupted by ANOTHER application, most likely an old bugged version of Active Sky, which has changed the file encoding without properly adapting the XML file header.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 09:10:52 am »
Your posted files are fine. However, P3D has TWO set of XML files, one under %PROGRAMDATA%, the other under %APPDATA%, so the corrupted ones might be the ones in the other folder.

fsjunkey

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 06:55:40 pm »
Thank you for your replies and patience. I don't have active sky or any of those sky or cloud programs. I know you said the problem is not with the update. It's just curious that the problem started 2 days ago when I installed the update. I have not installed any new 3rd party program since awhile back. You said the xml files from my %program data% folder were ok. So I am attaching my xml files from my %appdata%-roaming folder if you would look at them please. I don't know what to look for inside these files. Again, I thank you very much for your patience and help.
Gary

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 01:07:41 am »
I know you said the problem is not with the update. It's just curious that the problem started 2 days ago when I installed the update.

The problem hasn't started when you installed the update. You already had the problem, it's just that you cannot possibly know, until you install any of our installers that, of course, since they are supposed to change the XML files, will CHECK them BEFORE touching them, because trying to change a corrupted file will cause a big mess of it.

And of course, after checking your other set of XML files, the problem was obvious: BOTH were illegal XML, since the header said they are encoded in Windows-1252 ( the default ), but their *actual* encoding was UTF8 (with BOM) for one file, and UTF8 for the other one.

So, both files were basically lying about themselves, since the content of the file contradicted the header, and this will correctly prompt an error from the default XML checker routine (the one that comes with Windows) that we run over it before trying any changes.

Find the fixed files attached.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 01:15:24 am by virtuali »

fsjunkey

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 06:07:12 pm »
I just wanted to say thank you. The files that you fixed worked. Now I can get back to enjoying GSX.