Author Topic: GSX Not Reading Correct AFCAD file  (Read 14669 times)

mathman64

GSX Not Reading Correct AFCAD file
« on: November 19, 2013, 02:52:44 pm »
I have a problem with the airports at EGCC(Manchester)  and EGLL (London Heathrow), which I believe was mentioned back on April 21st this year by a forum member.   I have UK2000 Extreme scenery installed at both airports as well as Traffic X (Just Flight).  When I try GSX, at say EGCC, it reads the AFCAD file for Manchester helipad (JFGC) from the Traffic X scenery folder, rather than the EGCC AFCAD from the UK2000 scenery folder.   A similar thing happens at EGLL, where the helipad AFCAD file is also chosen.  The result is I only get a parking positions menu for the helipad, and not for the airport, even though I am clearly using the EGCC scenery.  I obviously get no Assistance services menu, which ruins the whole use of GSX at EGCC, my favourite airport.   Strangely, I notice that choosing EGCC from the Free Flight menu at the start of FSX, the airport label in that window often reads "Manchester helipad" even though the scenery installed is EGCC, so there must be some fault in FSX.

I did not understand the solution mentioned back in April, so perhaps a forum member may be able to help, as I am new to GSX and have not delved much into AFCAD files in the past, though I have used FS for many years.   I have found the AFCAD files for the helipads in the Traffic X scenery folder and disabled these, but I then get error messages saying these files cannot be found when I try to run GSX at EGCC after a re-boot of FSX.  Alternatively, I have tried adding JFGC (Manchester helipad) to the disabled airports list in the "CouatAddons.ini" file.  Unfortunately, all I get is an error message telling me that GSX has been suspended at this airport (EGCC) by user settings.

I have also tried removing the EGCC UK2000 scenery, leaving Traffic X in place, and GSX works perfectly then as it does at all standard FSX scenery airports, and my other 3rd party airports, except for these two.   However, as I like both the UK2000 sceneries at EGCC and EGLL, I would like to find a solution which includes their use.

What else need I do in addition to this, or is there a completely different approach.
Help would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 04:10:50 pm by mathman64 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Not Reading Correct AFCAD file
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 04:25:58 pm »
I have found the AFCAD files for the helipads in the Traffic X scenery folder and disabled these, but I then get error messages saying these files cannot be found when I try to run GSX at EGCC after a re-boot of FSX.

This should work. Please indicate exactly what error message you get.

mathman64

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 05:23:31 pm »
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply.   
I disabled the AF2_JFGC.bgl file (Manchester helipad) by re-naming it AF2.JFGC.bgl.fault.   I loaded FSX, and it rebuilt the scenery database briefly.   On loading at EGCC, with the UK 2000 scenery showing, and pressing Ctrl + f12, I get the error message: 
 [GSX] System error while accessing file C:/FSX/JustFlight/TrafficX/AirportFacilities/scenery/AF2_JFGC.bgl: CreateFile failed: The system cannot find the file specified (system:2)
which shows in green in the usual message window at the top of the screen.
It seems that despite loading the EGCC scenery, the system is still looking for the JFGC AFCAD file.   Do I perhaps have to do some re-building of the files in the ProgramData folder for GSX?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:26:27 pm by virtuali »

Eisbahn

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 07:03:18 pm »
I am also using all of the UK2000 sceneries with GSX and Traffic X and have no problems whatsoever.
I have never been required to delete any files from Traffic X.
However, make sure that in the scenery config file, Traffic X is placed after any UK2000 scenery.
Hope this helps, Eisbahn

mathman64

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 07:18:42 pm »
Hi Eisbahn
Thanks for the reply.   I have not had cause to mess about with the scenery cfg file before.  Am I correct in assuming that if I go into FSX and find the scenery library, I can alter the order of loading scenery by moving the item in this list, in this case the Traffic X, and that will alter the scenery.cfg file.     So should I move it to the top of the list?   Will this affect the working of AI traffic at my other 3rd party airports (Aerosoft) which would be lower in order.   At present, Traffic X is below all my third party airport sceneries, so I must have installed it early on when setting up FSX.  
Incidentally to add to the confusion, I have just checked both EGLC (London City) and EGBB (Birmingham), both of which have helipads and scenery from the VFR airfields volumes by UK2000.   Birmingham works perfectly, whereas London City fails in the same way that EGCC and EGLL failed.   Confusing or what?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:34:44 pm by mathman64 »

mathman64

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 07:58:22 pm »
Further to my last post, I tried moving the Traffic X airport facilities to the top of the scenery library list.  While it does allow GSX to read a parking position AFCAD for EGCC, it is the wrong one.  It reads the AFCAD from Traffic X for EGCC, which is why my aircraft do not park properly (I tried gate 43) as FSX is also using that, but the scenery itself is still that of UK2000.  My aircraft was parked quite a way from Gate 43 in the UK2000 scenery.     Checking other 3rd party airports gives similar problems, aircraft do not park according to the that 3rd party scenery AFCAD but using the equivalent Traffic X AFCAD which is invariably different.   In fact GSX still reads the helipad AFCAD for EGLL which is therefore still a problem.  Thanks for your help, but this solution causes too many problems, at least on my system.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:06:46 pm by mathman64 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 09:26:45 pm »
I disabled the AF2_JFGC.bgl file (Manchester helipad) by re-naming it AF2.JFGC.bgl.fault

This won't work.

Remove the .bgl extension and don't put so many dots in the name, rename it with something like AF2_JFGC.BAK, for example or, even better, move it to a different place. Be SURE you are not running FSX when you rename the file.

mathman64

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 10:57:25 am »
This morning, I tried your suggestion but all it does is give the same system error message I mentioned in my earlier post.  In an earlier post I queried whether, having disabled the Manchester helipad AFCAD, I should then delete the folder    "ProgramData/Virtuali/Couatl"   which I believe contains the GSX database.   If this is regenerated (on the next loading of FSX ?), without the Manchester helipad, at least I hope that when loading at Manchester I should not get the same error message, as GSX is no longer aware of this helipad AFCAD.  Whether it looks for the correct AFCAD for EGCC is another matter.   I have not tried this yet as I was waiting to see if you had any thoughts on this course of action.  I see you have recommended this approach to other users, though for different problems to mine.  I did check on the UK2000 scenery, and it appears that the correct AFCAD file that GSX should be using is "Flight Simulator X\UK2000 scenery\UK2000 Manchester X\scenery\egcc_afx_UK2xGEN.bgl".  
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:22:21 am by mathman64 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 11:55:00 am »
This morning, I tried your suggestion but all it does is give the same system error message I mentioned in my earlier post.

Not possible that GSX would give you an error message accessing a file it should know it doesn't exists.

In an earlier post I queried whether, having disabled the Manchester helipad AFCAD, I should then delete the folder    "ProgramData/Virtuali/Couatl"   which I believe contains the GSX database.   If this is regenerated (on the next loading of FSX ?), without the Manchester helipad, at least I hope that when loading at Manchester I should not get the same error message, as GSX is no longer aware of this helipad AFCAD.

Regenerating the database is not required, but it will surely fix any problems due to something unusual on your system, like permission problems, other programs running, etc.

Whether it looks for the correct AFCAD for EGCC is another matter.

It surely will, provided the AFCAD doesn't contains errors, but of course you'll see a warning in the Couatl.LOG about this.

I did check on the UK2000 scenery, and it appears that the correct AFCAD file that GSX should be using is "Flight Simulator X\UK2000 scenery\UK2000 Manchester X\scenery\egcc_afx_UK2xGEN.bgl".  

Reset the cache and try again. GSX will indicate what AFCAD is using if you enter the "Customize this parkign position" menu.

mathman64

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 02:27:31 pm »
Hi Umberto
Success at last!   Having disabled all of the AFCADs for the helipads for EGCC, EGBB, EGLL, and EGLC from the Traffic X Airport Facilities folder , I then regenerated the GSX database.  This time, all  of the correct AFCADs for these airports were chosen when I requested Assistance Services with Ctrl + f12.  So now I have GSX working at all of the airports where it failed before.
Thanks for your help.

roadrabbit

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 09:08:08 pm »
Whilst it was good to find the answer to the problem with the EGCC afcad file (which I too suddenly began to get), it would be good to give the names of those files for the other airfields producing the same error.

For EGBB, EGLL and EGLC the files are AF2_JFGC.bgl, AF2_JFGB.bgl, AF2_JFGL.bgl and AF2_JFLC.bgl
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:40:01 pm by roadrabbit »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 10:49:03 pm »
Whilst it was good to find the answer to the problem with the EGCC afcad file (which I too suddenly began to get), it would be good to give the names of those files for the other airfields producing the same error.

Note that you replied to a 2 years old thread. In the meantime, GSX has the ability to disable such special case of fictional airfields, helipads, seaplane bases, etc. by using the airport_visibility_xxxx = yyy parameter in the GSX .INI file. A more detailed explanation of this feature is of course included in the current GSX manual.

GregH

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 08:19:13 pm »
I know this is an old thread Umberto but just to add to this - I have GSX 1.9.5 installed. I deleted a My Traffic 6 Scenery BGL to prevent conflicts with an add on scenery product and I got the same GSX error - cant find the file when calling up the GSX menu. GSX was looking for the My Traffic BGL and not the proper scenery BGL which was way higher in the scenery database, even though it was deleted. Sometimes it is necessary to force GSX to find the correct BGL after deleting the one it favours by regenerating the database manually. A PC reboot and restart of FSX does not fix it. I had the exact same error message reported here.

Regards,
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:39:24 pm by GregH »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 08:41:31 pm »
I have GSX 1.9.5 installed.

Use the current GSX, please. It's not possible to help you or check if there's a problem if you run an outdated version.